Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sheriff's Office confirms they're coming to Mesa

Sheriff's Office confirms they're coming to Mesa
    10 commentsby Senta Scarborough - Jun. 25, 2008 03:42 PM
    The Arizona Republic

After a day of being kept in the dark, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office told the Mesa Police Department on Wednesday that it will follow through on plans to do a crime suppression sweep in the city Thursday.

Mesa Police Chief George Gascón spent much of Wednesday waiting for details about the operation and said the Sheriff's Office failed to show at a scheduled meeting.

"What is going on here is a publicity stunt," he said before he was informed Wednesday afternoon. "It has nothing to do with public safety."

Later, Gascón said communication between the agencies appeared to be improving, but he still had no details of when, where or how long Arpaio's deputies would conduct the sweeps.

Gascón said his primary concern is to protect public safety including residents, demonstrators, deputies and his officers.

"This is really a three-ring circus. This is not policing by any stretch of the imagination," Gascón said.

"For people to think this is impacting illegal immigration defies imagination."

As the news spread that Arpaio plans to launch an operation, residents voiced a mixture of support and opposition.

Arpaio announced two months ago he would come again to Mesa after several East Valley legislators requested the special enforcement.

Sheriff's sweeps in Guadalupe and Phoenix this year have drawn large pro-immigration or anti-Arpaio crowds. The sheriff quietly came to Mesa twice in November, but not this time.

Hundreds of people commented online about the sheriff's enforcement and immigration operation after an Arizona Republic story announced the plans Tuesday. Mesa police have fielded several calls from both sides, Mesa Police Community Partnership Coordinator Denise Traves said.

Traves worked the phones Wednesday lining up community members, clergy, attorneys and reaching out to residents outside the city to serve as neutral observers to help maintain the peace in case protesters show Thursday.

Their job would be to observe and spot any escalation in events, inform police and provide a calming effect.

"I'm not his biggest fan. I work with immigrants that I love and I would hate to see them go," Heather Marsh, 22, of Mesa, said. "They take jobs from us. It's kind of like a Catch-22. I love them but they're kind of killing me."

Jeremiah Hamilton, 30, of Scottsdale thinks the sweeps are a good idea.

"There's a problem in Arizona with immigration and something has to be done," Hamilton said.

Mesa resident Cipriano Rivera, 41, originally from Veracruz, Mexico, said he wasn't looking for trouble and is somewhat split on the issue.

"I think he's going after the bad guys, the robbers, the troublemakers. But me, I'm here to help my family, not cause trouble," Rivera said Wednesday morning as he waited for a bus. "If he's here to go after the criminals, fine, but not us who aren't doing anything bad."

Brandon Kahn, 27, of Mesa, said doesn't support the way Arpaio is handling the operation.

"Arpaio is over-excessive and arrogant. I'm not saying I don't agree that there are too many illegals around here taking jobs from us, but there is a better way to go about it. He's trying to be Rambo," Kahn said.

Still others think the sweeps targeting undocumented immigrants are wrong.

"He (Arpaio) should work on catching real criminals, not people working," said Sandra Gonzalez, 20, who works in Mesa.

Mark Hickler believes the issue is blown out of proportion.

"It's not the source of evil that people seem to ascribe to it. I hate to see undocumented people suffer economically because of policies of Joe or the federal or state government," Hickler, 56, of Gilbert, said. "There's a lack of compassion. We can afford it."

Mirian Lopez, a 23-year-old Tempe hairdresser who works in Mesa, says the sweeps aren't fair.

"They just want to work for their families and it doesn't affect the economy of the country," said Lopez who voiced concerns for her safety because of the sweeps.

For others the sweeps mean a possible loss of business, especially from Hispanic residents who might be afraid.

Arcelia Santana, who manages the Los Cuates restaurant on Mesa Drive, said the sweeps have already hurt business.

"It's not right. We've already been affected," Santana said.
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... ommentform
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey, Gascon...shut up and get out of the way. Put on a dunce cap and go sit in the cornor. Arpaio will tell you when you can come back out and play.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Traves worked the phones Wednesday lining up community members, clergy, attorneys and reaching out to residents outside the city to serve as neutral observers to help maintain the peace in case protesters show Thursday.
    Don't protesters need a permit?
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Waiting to hear about today's sweep. Not ecpecting much except a lot of protesters. (Maybe Joe can arrest the protesters, some of them are probably illegals).

With all the fanfare and advance notification, illegals would need to be pretty dumb to get caught up in it.

Nothing like telling the bad guys, days in advance, of when you are coming.