Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some Austin city leaders call for a boycott of Arizona

Austin has become a major human and drug smuggling hub and this is what the elected officials of the city think. I'm seeing a pattern, these elected officials are very ignorant of federal immigration laws and the requirement for non-citizens to carry their papers at all times. Back in the 70's I was also required to carry a 'draft card'....

by JIM BERGAMO/KVUE News

kvue.com

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Updated yesterday at 10:20 PM

Some Austin city leaders call for a boycott of Arizona. It's clear city leaders want to send a message, first by limiting travel for all city employees, and second, by ending any business or investment relationships with Arizona that don't impact the health and safety of Austin residents.

Last month, members of Austin's city council traveled to Phoenix, Arizona to study how that city was accommodating it's homeless population. But you may not be seeing any city employees in the Grand Canyon State after Arizona's controversial immigration legislation became law.

"So if I'm jogging around Town Lake in my running shorts and tennis shoes. I don't have my wallet; I don't have my birth certificate. So if that law were to pass here, and I couldn't prove my citizenship, I would immediately be detained and arrested," said Mike Martinez, Austin's Mayor Pro Tem.

Martinez says he's in favor of comprehensive immigration reform, but not Arizona's way.

"This is simply profiling, this is simply putting a target unfairly on Hispanics' backs," said Martinez.

So, Martinez has asked the city manager to look into what business ties and investments Austin currently has with Arizona that could be moved to another state. The suggestion has the support of Mayor Lee Leffingwell.

"It's kind of good practice for one governmental entity not to interfere with the business of another, especially when we have absolutely no control over it. But on certain occasions, I think it is essential and make our voice be known," said Lee Leffingwell, Austin's mayor.

City leaders say Austin's boycott may not have much of an impact, but if other cities do the same, Arizona will get the message. Austin residents were split.

"Economic sanctions are a tried and true method that our country has used to correct actions that we don't agree with, so I don't disagree with what the city council is doing," said Elizabeth Gray, an Austin resident.

"In today's business climate, if we can get a better deal doing business with Arizona versus another state, then I'm all for getting the best deal that Austin can get," said Clint Miller, an Austin resident.

City leaders want to be clear: nothing is set in stone at this point. Exactly what business ties can be severed will be revealed when the city introduces the proposed boycott resolution on May 13th.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Some-Austin...-92470949.html

I believe the Reconquista movement is not limited to just a large population surge. it also involves the takeover of city, county and state governments with reconquista supporters and advocates.

They who scream the loudest have the most to lose - voter base that elected them and power JMO.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So if I'm jogging around Town Lake in my running shorts and tennis shoes. I don't have my wallet; I don't have my birth certificate. So if that law were to pass here, and I couldn't prove my citizenship, I would immediately be detained and arrested," said Mike Martinez, Austin's Mayor Pro Tem.

Ummmmm...........no.

However, if you were jogging around Town Lake, wearing nothing BUT your tennis shoes and someone called the police........well then, in that instance there would be established a "lawful contact" at which time the officer would be well within the law to ask for all pertinent ID.

This btw, has always been the law. Just as it's always been the law for each and every single person being required to carry ID and produce it when asked for it by law enforcement......and that includes the requirement that all persons legally within this country must carry with them proof of that legal presence.

And that concludes our lesson for today.........
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Some Austin city leaders call for a boycott of Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by TexSawdust
    Austin has become a major human and drug smuggling hub and this is what the elected officials of the city think. I'm seeing a pattern, these elected officials are very ignorant of federal immigration laws and the requirement for non-citizens to carry their papers at all times. Back in the 70's I was also required to carry a 'draft card'....
    Austin use to be one of the nicest places in Texas to visit. Within the last 10 years it has literally been over run by illegal aliens. Austins's city leaders should be a shame of what they have allowed to happen to their city.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Everyone in cities that are opposed to the AZ law because people will need to show "Their Papers" should refuse to produce their ID when asked by Banks,Police,Hospitals etc.

If it is not ok for Illegals to be asked to show their papers why should citizens have to show theirs ? Is our laws only for citizens ?
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson