Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sources say Arpaio will announce run for governor Monday

Sources say Arpaio will announce run for governor Monday
    Reported by: Josh Bernstein
    Email: jbernstein@abc15.com
    Reported by: Dan Siegel
    Reported by: Jillian Parrish
    Last Update: 3:19 pm

Sheriff Joe Arpaio PHOENIX – Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is expected to announce Monday if he'll run for Arizona governor.

Several sources confirm to the ABC15 Investigators that Arpaio has already made a decision, and will likely run for the office.

Republican Party Chairman Randy Pullen said he has spoken with the Sheriff on several occasions about running for governor.

As recently as last week, Pullen said the Sheriff told him by phone that "he was just letting me know he was seriously considering it and he was meeting with his advisors and supporters to make a final decision, and that decision would be in very early May."

Several high ranking sources within the Sheriff's Department tell the ABC15 Investigators that all the necessary paperwork "has been filled out and is ready to file."

Those same sources say Arpaio has been meeting with Republican power players for the last two weeks, and that several of the conversations focused on Arpaio running for governor.

In a press release from Arpaio's campaign dated March 22, 2010, Chad Williams with Summit Consulting Group said "in just 12 months, Arpaio has raised $2 million from supporters in Arizona and around the country."

According to Arpaio's public campaign reports, he currently has at least $1.2 million in his political war chest.

"Just when we think it's going to slow down, the contributions keep pouring in," Williams said.

The question of Arpaio's candidacy is getting an awful lot of buzz across the state these days.

If the Sheriff is going to run, he has to announce soon so he can start collecting the necessary signatures to file for the primary election. That filing deadline is May 26th.

He'll also have to resign as Maricopa County Sheriff.

In addition to buzz from within the official channels, there are also a lot of back channel hints that Arpaio is seriously considering a run for the office.

In early April, he told several media outlets his wife was encouraging him to run.

He also posted on his Twitter account, "Now my wife of 53 years has joined in to urge me to run for AZ Governor. I have a big decision to make."

The 77-year-old later told the Arizona Republic the only reason he wouldn't run for governor was that he'd be forced to resign as sheriff.

In mid April, Arpaio again used his Twitter account to create more speculation.

He wrote, "The time is coming to meet with my senior commanders to discuss the future."

A second post seemed to allude that Arpaio's time as Sheriff was about to become part of the past. It read, "the employees at the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office are outstanding and I have been lucky to be their sheriff."

If Arpaio does run for Governor, he'll be facing a long list of declared opponents, including Governor Jan Brewer, State Treasurer Dean Martin, businessman Buzz Mills and Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard.

Should Arpaio run for governor, and would you vote for him? Click "add a comment" below to soundoff.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/blogs ... 4o4cA.cspx

the time is now for joe to hit this thing. good luck to him.

The 77-year-old later told the Arizona Republic the only reason he wouldn't run for governor was that he'd be forced to resign as sheriff.
    This is the part that scares me. I don't know whether to be happy or scared. Seems to me, his biggest opponent would be Jan Brewer and she seems to be doing a fine job so far....time will tell.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

SCCCCREWWWWW that...let him run for POTUS!

I would be against hiom as Governor but for him as State Immigration Police Chief.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    He'll also have to resign as Maricopa County Sheriff.
    That would be a problem, especially if Brewer keeps supporting her fellow Republicans in the Arizona State Legislature on issues concerning illegal immigration. Brewer has shown that she is not afraid to grab the bull by the horns. Now all that's left to see is if she'll stand firm in the face of overwhelming pressure from the illegal alien supporting zealots around the country. If she refuses to back down - she deserves our support (IMO). Honestly, I think I'd rather have what is (if it's good) over would could be.

IMO, we may be better off with Joe where he is for now. Just saying.....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

marine52, thank you for the news article but we require a source link also. If you can provide it we would appreciate it.

~~~
    Friday, April 30, 2010, 3:46pm MST
    Report: Arpaio to announce gubernatorial run
    Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks

KNXV-TV Channel 15 is reporting this afternoon that Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio will likely run for governor this year.

Arpaio is expected to announce his decision on a run for governor on Monday. The ABC 15 report by Josh Bernstein cites several sources saying the Republican sheriff will announce he is running.

Arpaio has flirted with running for governor before, including holding press conferences where he wax expected to announce but never did so. He would join a crowded GOP field that includes Gov. Jan Brewer, State Treasurer Dean Martin, Tucson attorney John Munger and businessman Buz Mills.

The ABC 15 report says Arpaio has filled out paperwork for the run and is poised to turn it in next week.

Arpaio’s possible run comes as the state in the midst of a political firestorm over a newly passed immigration law set to take effect this summer. The MCSO is also subject of a federal grand jury probe into abuse of power allegation.

www.bizjournals.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    Richard said :

I would be against hiom as Governor but for him as State Immigration Police Chief.

Governor first ,president second ...
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by FedUpinFarmersBranch
    Richard said :

Governor first ,president second ...
    Oh, can you imagine? A president that would follow all of the laws!!!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

In my opinion, I think Brewer and Arpaio make quite team with the jobs they each have right now. If he runs for Governor, we lose one of them.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast