Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

South Florida's Bounty Hunters Stalk Illegal Immigrants

Sep 26, 2007 11:47 pm US/Eastern

South Florida's Bounty Hunters Stalk By Night

David Sutta
    Reporting

(CBS4) MIAMI You probably associate the words bounty hunters with chasing down criminals. CBS4 reporter David Sutta is showing you another side of the business rarely seen.

On any given night, bounty hunters are roaming the streets of South Florida searching for illegal immigrants. We learned not only is it happening here; it's big business. We're used to hearing the government, not bounty hunters, picking up illegal immigrants. It turns out catching a wanted illegal immigrant fetches thousand of dollars. While the money is good, the job is tough.

These bounty hunters risk their lives on every arrest and literally tear families apart. In the office of a Miami bondsman, Manny Periu and John Liberatore are preparing for work.

"These are the cases that are already set for deportation and this one is urgent. This is the guy we have to hit at five in the morning," said Periu.

The stack of files, on illegal immigrants, were all given a bond when they came to America. When they failed to appear in court, it gets turned over to bounty hunters to track them down for deportation.

Before hitting the streets, Periu says good-bye to his family.

"You never know what's going to happen. I might not come home tonight and at least I know they saw me and everything is good," said Periu.

The bounty hunters wait until dark to begin their roundup, suiting up like a cop, except they have more power. They don't need a warrant to bust down your door.

"What's on the other side of the door is what scares me the most."

The first stop Fort Lauderdale...

"Jump it... he's got cameras set up," said Periu.

This is the frustrating part of the business. The woman they're looking for, who they call the "skip" is not home. They'll have to come back.

http://cbs4.com/local/local_story_269165204.html

HOW CAN THEY GO INTO SOMEONES HOUSE WITHOUT A WARRANT? NOT THAT I AM NOT GLAD THEY ARE BUSTING ILLEGALS. BUT THEY ARE JUST BOUNTY HUNTERS. THEY ARE NOT EVEN COPS. THEY DONT NEED A WARRANT? THAT DOESNT SOUND RIGHT. WHY DONT THEY NEED A WARRANT? IS THAT BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE "PAPERWORK" ON SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS? ANYONE KNOW?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When bail is given, the principal is regarded as delivered to the custody of his sureties. Their dominion is a continuance of the original imprisonment. Whenever they choose to do so, they may seize him and deliver him up in their discharge, and if that cannot be done at once, they may imprison him until it can be done. They may exercise their rights in person or by agent. They may pursue him into another state; may arrest him on the Sabbath; and if necessary, may break and enter his house for that purpose. The seizure is not made by virtue of new process. None is needed. It is likened to the rearrest, by the sheriff, of an escaping prisoner. The bail have their prisoner on a string, and may pull the string whenever they please, and render him in their discharge. . . .Id. at 290. (Citations omitted.)
    The above is taken from a TN. case. Basically, the defendant is released to the custody of the bondsman. The bondsman assures his presence at trial. If the defendant fails to appear the court orders the bond forfeited and the bondsman must pay up.

The defendant's release on bond is conditioned on these rights of the bondsman and the defendant agrees to the terms in exchange for the bondsman posting the bail.

The seizure is not made by virtue of new process
    OK THIS MAKES SENSE TO ME NOW. WHEW!!! FOR A MINUTE I THOUGHT WE HAD ONE MORE CRAZY THING GOING ON. HEY THANKS FOR STRAIGHTENING THAT OUT FOR ME.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

redpony 353 bounty hunters do not have to follow the same laws as police and they are allowed to enter a home without a warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    HOW CAN THEY GO INTO SOMEONES HOUSE WITHOUT A WARRANT? NOT THAT I AM NOT GLAD THEY ARE BUSTING ILLEGALS. BUT THEY ARE JUST BOUNTY HUNTERS. THEY ARE NOT EVEN COPS. THEY DONT NEED A WARRANT? THAT DOESNT SOUND RIGHT. WHY DONT THEY NEED A WARRANT? IS THAT BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE "PAPERWORK" ON SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS? ANYONE KNOW?
    If they are fugitive, therre is already a warrant.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com