Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Spanish-language TV billboards strike nerve(LA billboard)

Link

See also http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-2118.html for larger photos of billboard and discussion thread

(Sarah Reingewirtz)
    A billboard advertisement for Channel 62
    sits on the northbound side of the 605 freeway
    in Irwindale April 26, 2005

Spanish-language TV billboards strike a nerve
    By Marianne Love, Staff Writer
    April 27, 2005

A series of billboards advertising a Spanish-language television broadcast is raising the ire of illegal-immigration opponents, but the station sponsoring the ads says they are simply meant to appeal to an audience.
    The billboard for Noticias 62 found in several San Gabriel Valley locations depicts two newscasters posed in front of the Los Angeles skyline with "Los Angeles, CA" written above their heads.

The "CA" is crossed off and "Mexico" rewritten in bold, red letters.

A prominent statue in the center of the billboard is the Angel of Independence, a popular tourist attraction in Mexico City.

It also says, "Tu Ciudad. Tu Equipo," or "Your City. Your Team."

Officials from KRCA-TV Channel 62, a Spanish-language station responsible for the billboards, said that 6.8 million Latinos, mostly with ties to Mexico, live in Los Angeles and are their targeted audience.

"No one is promoting illegal immigration. Everyone has to obey the laws," said Leonard Liberman, executive vice president of Burbank-based Liberman Broadcasting, which owns 16 Spanish-language radio stations and four television stations nationwide.

Liberman said the stations want audience members to feel at ease at home.

"Our newscasters cater to them. We try to make them comfortable," he said.

About 75 billboards went up last week in Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, but mostly in Los Angeles County.

Opponents, however, say Los Angeles County, where Latinos make up 44 percent of its 2.3 million residents, is part of the United States, not Mexico.

"It's not even cute. What's upsetting is that the fringe elements within the illegal-support community don't recognize the territorial claims of the United States," said William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration. "They are consistently saying ‘It's our land, and we are taking it back.' "

The billboard issue first appeared on the organization's Web site Tuesday and set off a flurry of response.

Gheen said he is getting 15-25 e-mails an hour from many sides of the issue, which has been heating up on Capitol Hill this week.

He said it's good because it opens up dialogue about illegal immigration that is long overdue.

"People across America are realizing we have a national illegal-immigration crisis, and they want information that traditionally hasn't been provided by traditional media," Gheen said.

The billboards, which can be found on the San Gabriel River (605) Freeway near Ramona and on Arrow Highway in Baldwin Park, are owned by Arizona-based Clear Channel, which leases them to customers.

Clear Channel officials, who said they received at least 60 complaints, said they are not responsible for content, said spokesman Tony Alwin.

-- Marianne Love can be reached at (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2108, or by e-mail at marianne.love@sgvn.com.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Email

Emails being sent even as we speak to every media contact I have.

I hope everyone is doing the same!

This is on the front page. I apologize for only posting one front page article today, but I have to get to work on the meeting tonight.

http://www.alipac.us/article-374--0-0.html

Apology

Don't apologize for all your hard work! We appreciate you more than you know!

Contact Info:

Let's Get Those Billboards Removed!

The Los Angeles area billboards continue to make the news We've also listed contact information for Clear Channel, owners of the billboards. Please take some time to contact Clear Channel and ask that the billboards be taken down. (click the picture to enlarge)

Mark Mays
    President and Chief Executive Officer
    MarkPMays@clearchannel.com

Lowry Mays
    Chairman of the Board
    LLowryMays@clearchannel.com

Mark Rowe
    Vice President, Outdoor Accounting
    Mark.Rowe@clearchannel.com

LOS ANGELES OFFICE
    19320 Harborgate Way
    Torrance, CA. 90501
    (310) 755-7200 phone
    (310) 755-7300 fax

PHOENIX CORPORATE OFFICE
    2850 E. Camelback Road Suite 300
    Phoenix, AZ. 85016
    (602) 957-8116 phone
    (602) 957-8602 fax

-------------------
    Channel 62:
    Office Manager, Jeannette Amado:
    jamado@Ibimedia.com

Marketing Director, Carlos King.

------------------
    Call Channel 62 and leave message for the VP who is quoted defending the sign, Lenard Liberman a VP at Channel 62.

Call the station number - 818.563.5722, then you enter the first few letters of Liberman's
    name and you can connect to his extension - and leave him a message!
    If you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will give you trouble in the land where you will live.'

IMO, I hope they stay up for ALL AMERICANS to see and have a chance to absorb the information.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need our moderators to insert the picture of the billboard in every discussion thread article on this issue near the top.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by occutegirl
    Let's Get Those Billboards Removed!
    I think they should stay. What better way is there to get the message across to the millions of people that are clueless about this issue?

You don't get more in-your-face than this.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Spanish Billboards In LA

The billboards by Channel 62 is a marketing tools to attract Hispanic viewers to their local news channel that cover local CA news and news from Mexico. The billboards are not promoting illegal immigration but rather illustrate the changing landscape in the US.

It is naive and irresponsible for Americans to think / believe that illegal immigration is hurtful to the US given that everyone in the US has benefited in some way to illegal labor!

We need to change regulations and laws to decriminilize border crossing and ensure that labor workers are treated fairly!

Please help us!

The billboards by Channel 62 is a marketing tools to attract Hispanic viewers to their local news channel that cover local CA news and news from Mexico. The billboards are not promoting illegal immigration but rather illustrate the changing landscape in the US.
    BAWAHAHAHAHAHA yeah and I just won a million dollars.

It is naive and irresponsible for Americans to think / believe that illegal immigration is hurtful to the US given that everyone in the US has benefited in some way to illegal labor!
    What? So your saying that illegals don't take away jobs from hard working American citizens? So your saying that illegals don't contribute to the growing number of hispanic gangs, they don't contribute to the drug problems, your saying that no illegals that come here committ crimes on top of their illegal entry? Ever heard of MS-13? http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/ms/ms_001.htm

Wake up pal. 30 percent of our prison population across the country are foreigners. 60 percent of the prison population in LA are illegal. 95 percent of all arrest warrants in LA alone are for illegal aliens. Illegal aliens also take 10 billion in federal social services more than they contribute to the economy. This doesn't include cost incurred by local and state levels. Check out the stats:

http://www.cis.org/

Your also saying that terrorists can't take advantage of our porous borders? I guess you were under a rock during 9-11. Yeah we really benefitted from their illegal labor.

So don't be giving me this crap that they all just come here to work because that's a lie.

We need to change regulations and laws to decriminilize border crossing and ensure that labor workers are treated fairly!
    What bs? Workers are treated fairly. If your a US citizen or a legal immigrant (you do know what the difference is right?) you are eligible for a job. If your legal (notice the emphasis on the word legal) you can apply for a work visa or a green card or citizenship. If your illegal you get the boot. We have laws for a reason and that's because we have limited resources, limited living space and limited money. We can't move everyone into America. It's not Americas responsiblility to feed, cloth, shelter and provide jobs and benefits to the entire population of the world. America has a responsibility to take care of it's citizens only because we are a sovereign nation. Plain and simple. A nation without laws and borders ceases to be a nation, again plain and simple. Name me one sovereign nation that has survived without borders, one language and one culture?

I challenge you to go to another country who's more hospitible than we are. We go above and beyond treating people fairly alot more than we have to and in some cases should. Maybe instead of rewarding lawbreakers you should be encouraging them to obey the laws instead of whining about how the laws are unfair and need to be dumbed down or abolished to curry favor with lawbreakers.

BTW I don't benefit from illegal labor. I can mow my own lawn, wash my own dishes, cook my own dinner, do my own laundry, do my own landscaping without relying on an illegal alien to help me and if I did need help, I would make sure I hire either an American citizen or a Legal immigrant.

I think it's time you step outside your gated community so you can see what the real world looks like, ok pal.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast