Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert Addresses Heritage

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=47760

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert Addresses Heritage Foundation President's Club Meeting

5/20/2005 4:08:00 PM

To: National Desk

Contact: Ron Bonjean of the Office of Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, 202-225-2800

WASHINGTON, May 20 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) made the following remarks at the Heritage Foundation's President's Club Meeting:

"Thank you Dr. Feulner, for that warm introduction. It's a pleasure to be here with my friends at Heritage. You're a beacon for the conservative movement, and I'm proud of the contributions you make to America's public policy debate.

"We had a successful victory in the last election because of people like you. Your work through the Heritage Foundation delivered our message and our values to the American people. You inspired what became a conservative grassroots army that stumped political pundits. This conservative army walked door to door in places like Peoria, Illinois; Toledo, Ohio and Jacksonville, Florida. And they passed leaflets in towns like Madison, Wisconsin; Albuquerque, New Mexico and Des Moines, Iowa. Those efforts sent a resounding message to all who've tried to tune out Americans of faith. It said, "We are here. We stand strong for American values. And we will be heard. I'm thankful for the work you do."

"We're in challenging times, my friends. Our brave men and women in the armed forces are fighting terrorism at home and abroad. Domestic challenges, like Social Security, pension reform and energy sit in the horizon. America's moral values are being challenged each and every day.

"Now more than ever, Republican leadership is necessary. Republicans have stepped to the plate to address the challenges of our nation. On Capitol Hill, House Republicans have been doing our part. We've been hard at work developing policies that will help empower all Americans.

"We reduced taxes for everyone. Because we acted, families have more money in their pockets for a night with their kids or more cash to save for their children's college education.

"For a family of four earning $40,000 a year, the first three rounds of cuts mean they now pay nearly $2,000 less in federal taxes - enough to pay the average home electricity bill for more than a year.

"Last month, we passed a bill that would permanently repeal the death tax. This means the small business owner who worked so hard to have something to pass on to his children won't be taxed out of business. We're

hoping the Senate will act soon. Death just shouldn't be a taxable event.

"We believe all of our tax cuts should be permanent. Our new budget accommodates part of that goal, and we'll continue to work towards tax cut permanency. You see, we know that Republican tax policies have stimulated growth throughout our economy. A week ago, we learned that America's economy created 274,000 jobs last month larger than anyone expected.

"More than 3.5 million jobs have been created in the last 23 months. Unemployment stands at 5.2 percent. More Americans own homes than ever before. We've had 14 consecutive quarters of economic growth. And tax revenues are coming in well above estimates, which means the deficit will be significantly lower than expected. America's economic engine is on the right track.

"Unfortunately, our friends on the other side of the aisle are trying to derail the progress. House Republicans are passing legislation to continue this country's growth, create jobs for American workers and build a better life for American families.

"I already told you about efforts to permanently repeal the death tax. Let me tell you about some of the other actions we've taken already in this 109th Congress. We've passed a bill to allow job seekers to spend more time getting the training they need and less time filling out mountains of paperwork. In February, the House acted and the President signed into law legislation to curb abusive class action lawsuits that are hurting small businesses. We passed a bankruptcy bill that is now law. It's going to help end abuse by stopping cheaters who file bankruptcy just to avoid debts. And for those who really need to file, it puts in place financial counseling to help them better manage their debts. And of course we've all heard about the way high energy costs are hurting businesses and hitting consumers hard at the gas pump. We recently passed an energy bill that will help ease our dependence on foreign oil. And it promotes the development of environmentally friendly alternative fuels. The House has passed this bill four times now. We're hoping the Senate will act soon.

"We've also taken action to protect some of the vulnerable in our society, the unborn. The House recently passed the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act. It makes it illegal to take a young girl across state lines to get an abortion in order to avoid state parental notification laws. We should do all we can to protect our children and the unborn. This bill does that.

"These are pretty significant accomplishments when you consider that this Congress has only been in session just over 100 days. All of this legislation provides a spark into our economy and helps create hundreds of thousands of jobs.

"Unfortunately, Democrats in the House and Senate have adopted a pattern of obstruction to try to hinder much of the good work Republicans are trying to do. They don't have an agenda. They rely on scandal, innuendo and partisan gamesmanship to drive the debate.

"I can assure you of this, we will hold the course in the House of Representatives. And we will continue to pass good, solid legislation. Let me share with you a few of the things we're working on.

"We're holding the line on spending in our budget and being fiscally responsible. We passed a budget this month that requires us to take steps later this year that slow the growth of mandatory programs; these are government programs like welfare which spend automatically each year. The last time we were able to restrain these entitlement programs was 1997. We're going to reform these programs and save money by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse. And, we're going to restore them so they meet their intended goals.

This week, we began work on appropriations bills. We passed a homeland security spending bill yesterday. A bill that funds natural resources agencies is up tomorrow. All of these bills will be tough on spending.

"We'll continue our push for medical malpractice reform. Doctors can't afford malpractice insurance so they're going out of business. Expectant patients aren't sure if there will be a doctor still in business to deliver their

baby. We need to pass legislation to stop the excessive lawsuits that are hurting our families.

"We know how important it is that American businesses have an open environment to sell goods and services overseas. House Republicans have been strong supporters of free and fair trade for some time. We worked very hard to pass Trade Promotion Authority in 2002. And now there's a deal we expect to come up soon that I know you're all interested in and that's CAFTA. CAFTA keeps trade alive but it's also an important piece towards our nation's economic prosperity. We support the President's successful negotiation of CAFTA, and it's my intention that the House will act as quickly as possible on CAFTA legislation.

"As you know, retirement security is one of the largest issues we will tackle this Congress. With the large amount of baby boomers retiring, the rising life expectancies, and a decline in the overall ratio of workers to retirees, it is essential that we act to strengthen retirement security.

"Shoring up Social Security is one of the major spokes of this wheel. And it's another area where the Heritage Foundation has led the way and made the case for reform on Capitol Hill and in public.

"The reality is that as a country we are getting older, and in a "pay-as-you-go" system like Social Security, we don't have enough people in the workforce to sustain the current benefit structure. Let me share with you a few facts: The average life expectancy in 1935 when Social Security was created was 63; today it's 77. In 1950, there were 16 workers per beneficiary; today, there are 3.3 workers per beneficiary. By the time today's younger workers retire, or in the year 2040, there will be 2 workers per beneficiary.

"In just twelve short years we will be at a point where there will be more money going out of the system than going in. This can't continue. We have to find a better way. Chairman Bill Thomas last week began hearings in the Ways and Means Committee on this important issue. They're going to take their time and then move forward appropriately. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to make Social Security a financially sound program.

"Reforming and bolstering our pension benefit system is also a critical component of a retirement security package. Today's outdated pension laws have driven more employers to leave the system and in other cases failed to protect the interests of workers, retirees and taxpayers. Without reform, more companies will default on their own plans or leave the defined benefit system entirely. We have to face the facts. The pension system is in major need of reform.

"House Education and Workforce Committee Chairman John Boehner, has been conducting several hearings on this topic. He has been drafting a bill that reforms outdated rules and provides more stability in the pension system. I expect this comprehensive reform bill to fully cover the problems plaguing the pension system.

"There's another issue that I know is at the top of the agenda for many of you, and that's welfare reform. As you all know, in 1996, when Congress passed this monumental reform, it was the Heritage Foundation that laid the groundwork for the reforms we made. Heritage involvement has been critical to reforming these major mandatory welfare programs. We want you involved again in our efforts. It's important that we continue to keep work requirements in place, discourage illegitimacy and promote marriage. I'm grateful that we will continue the partnership with Heritage as we move to reauthorize welfare reform again this year.

"Before I go, I want to touch on one final area of importance and that's the way Democrats in the Senate are obstructing judicial nominations. The President's nominees deserve a fair up or down vote. It's sad that Democrats have chosen to employ a pattern of obstruction throughout the Congress. If the Democrats continue, we're going to let the American people know that Democrats aren't helping us to get our work done.

"And that's why we're going to be counting on our conservative supporters at the Heritage Foundation more than ever this congressional session. You've seen the headlines. You've heard the stories. The left wing has been active and aggressive. They're intent on slanting the issues.

"I said before, I'm going to keep House Republicans on course. But we need supporters like you out there, speaking in favor of our agenda. We cannot allow the left to usurp the agenda with partisan jockeying.

"Let me leave you with this final thought. Last week, I was fortunate enough to attend a dinner in honor of Nancy Reagan. She's a woman of real grace and strength. I'll forever be an admirer of her and President Reagan. They've contributed so much to our nation. When I think about the battles conservatives face from the Democrat obstructionists, I think about President Reagan. He set the stage for the conservative revolution we're in now. He perfected the art of staying the course.

"President Reagan once said, "We can be the party of change." When he spoke of the shining city on the hill he said it wouldn't be easy, but that we must remain strong and courageous and ready for the fight. There's no message more appropriate for today.

"We have to keep in mind the vision of what we're trying to create for America's families: strong families, where workers have good-paying jobs, a home of their own, in a safe community with enough money to care for their children. Working together, I think we can make it a reality."

http://www.usnewswire.com/
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"We know how important it is that American businesses have an open environment to sell goods and services overseas. House Republicans have been strong supporters of free and fair trade for some time. We worked very hard to pass Trade Promotion Authority in 2002. And now there's a deal we expect to come up soon that I know you're all interested in and that's CAFTA. CAFTA keeps trade alive but it's also an important piece towards our nation's economic prosperity. We support the President's successful negotiation of CAFTA, and it's my intention that the House will act as quickly as possible on CAFTA legislation.
    Nothing about Border Security or the Open Borders Policy that CAFTA pushes. Nothing about dealing with Illegal Immigration. I guess that issue isnt vbery important these days.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Another globalist....he would not get my vote.

Anyone that is for CAFTA and FTAA is definitely against America.

AMEN! Glad to hear Hastert testify.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

CAFTA keeps trade alive but it's also an important piece towards our nation's economic prosperity.
    It means that we will lose even more jobs.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

GREAT POST jp....THAT's exacty what we needed to know. On Impeachment this is how it works:

President, then Vice President, then Speaker of the House.

We've learned:

Bush = Globalist

Cheney = Globalist

Hastert = Globalist

I don't know who is line after the Speaker, I think the Majority Leader of the Senate. That I believe is FRIST, who is also a Globalist, I'm sure.

The reality of an Impeachment of the top 4 leaders of the country is....most difficult.

We have a better chance by FREEZING BUSH IN HIS TRACKS....defeating the pro-immigration bills in Congress so they never get to his desk to sign. We could also work on Bush to veto any bill that Congress gets to him....but he'll do what he wants unless he tries to save face for a legacy.

OR....Hastert may just be following the leader....as a Sheeple....and could possibly be converted to enforce the law for a brief time until the 2008 elections.

We need to do more research on Hastert and start hitting him with e-mails. They are going to make a deal soon with the AFL-CIO, then CAFTA will be on the Fast Track. The United Nations Milllennium Agenda Summit (what they call the agenda to decide everything for the One World Government meet again in September....they are already to the point of figuring out Global Taxes and World Citizen Rights...one of the issues is whether citizens would have individual opinions or need to express their views through Associations. I'm sure Associations will prevail. This is the same organization that is determining World Rights for Children...that wanted to make the World Wide Age Sex Consent Law---6 six years old...this is because the ILGA and NAMBLA had secured positions as Consultants in one of the summit meetings in the late nineties under Clinton and, AFTER media leaks and pressure, Clinton refused to sign on and had NAMBLA removed from the Consultants lists....but, they'll sneak back in, I'm sure of that).

HEY MSM.....Where ARE You????

Why aren't you reporting this?? Why aren't you exposing this?? Why aren't you doing something besides lurking in the background sneakin' out pictures of Saddam in his undershorts.

Investigate and report what is happening.....your families, reporters, depend on the right outcome of this as much as ours.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Judy, To keep us on track, the truth is that none of them are doing what they are supposed to be doing and that is protecting our borders and stopping illegal immigrants from getting in. They are also threatening our sovereignty. We need to take action ASAP with congress before its too late.

WHAT ACTION??

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

http://capwiz.com/jbs/mail/oneclick_com ... id=5769006

Write a letter, sign it and send it. We will be doing what we can to get it into MSM.

jp--will do....have done so....many times....hasn't worked...wrote the President 8 times as I know many others did....we have 50,000,000 illegal aliens in the USA NOW....with more coming in everyday....see my topic...Border Patrol Miss 5 Million A Year...that was revealed by Sean Hannity tonight...

THEY ARE LYIN TO US ABOUT THE NUMBERS HERE ALREADY!!!

If you look at the population from 1970, we should ONLY be at 250,000,000 as we had plateaued....because of zero population growth...a social mission to ensure we had enough of eveything here in the USA....does anyone remember that??? We were encouraged NOT to have more children than what was required to replace ourselves. Americans did that. SO where did the other 50,000,000 come from???

The Social Security Administration has 7,200,000 tax returns filled by illegals only under a special illegal alien tax number. That's at least 21,000,000 to 28,000,000 people right there that the Government can document.

Not all aliens have jobs, not all aliens file tax returns, not all aliens are in that number. Less than half is my guess. That alone puts it at 42,000,000 to 56,000,000.

If they miss 5,000,000 a year.....that means this number grows by 5,000,000 A YEAR!!!

MSM must get on this.....they MUST!!!!

So WHY with all this information and much more that the GOVERNMENT has are McCain Kennedy talking about 10,000,000 that would be legalized under this Act, Not to Act Amnesty Bill????? THEY KNOW....and that's enough to turn every election by 2006 on its ear....we're OVER this year with McCain Kennedy and the actual number of aliens that would under their Amnesty Bill become part of the VOTING PUBLIC OF AMERICA THIS YEAR BEFORE the 2006 Elections!!

That is the reason the Justice Department has "thesholds"; that is why the MSM is not covering the story; that is why the GOVERNMENT that knows everything goes to a charitable institution living off the SUN OIL fortune, the Pew Hispanic Center for counting aliens....; that is why someone told Border Patrol to stop arrests and let them in; that is why every Hispanic with a Title in some Institutional Tax Exempt Organization is beating the drum for Open Borders; that is why the ACLU, I mean the OBL-ACLU represents foreign nationals instead of Americans paying through tax exempt status their salaries; that is why the AFL-CIO see its future as a Union Leadership Dues Collecting Entity in Central America instead of in the United States and is now the OBL-AFL-CIO; that is the REASON for EVERYTHING....to get as many in as quickly as possible and then legalize them so they can vote in the 2006 elections!!

They meaning the Government, McCain, Kennedy, all pro-immigration advocates, all pro-Open Border advocates, all pro-NWO advocates.... are concealing the number deliberately.....that's irrefutable at this point.

WE DON"T HAVE UNTIL the 2006 Elections.

IT HAS TO BE STOPPED NOW!!

MSM reporters have GOT to get on this STORY about the NUMBERS .... NOW!!!

A Moratorium on all entry into the United States is absolutely essential....they've lied about the numbers deliberately to deceive the American People....that is absolutely irrefutable at this point.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast