Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Special Report: Border Vigilantes Channel 4 in Los Angeles

http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/4247317/detail.html

Great Pictures at the web site!!

LOS ANGELES -- A large group of people are gearing up to take illegal immigration into their own hands.

Civilians from all walks of life - patrolling the border day and night -- even with the threat of violence. It's called the Minuteman Project. Their goal is stop the flow of illegal immigration through the Arizona-Mexico border.

With nearly 500 volunteers from across the nation these self-proclaimed "guardian vigilantes" are preparing to head south.

From his Orange County home, Jim Gilchrist is planning a mission. His tools are a computer, an atlas and an army of volunteers.

"I struck the mother load of nationalism. I thought I would be lucky to get 12 volunteers. In six months, I've gotten almost 500," Gilchrist told NBC4.

Their target is a 230-mile stretch of desert along the Arizona Mexico Border. Some people call the area America's Open Door. Along this section of the border, more than 43 percent of all illegal entries to the U.S. take place.

Last year, the Tucson Border Patrol apprehended 491,000. But for every person caught, at least five walk in undetected.

"We're going to setup at least 40 maybe 80 outposts, four to six people per outpost 24/7, looking for people who are infiltrating over that border," Gilchrist told NBC4.

To do this, Gilchrist is amassing people from all walks of life to spend a month camped out on the border -- people like James and Linda Chase.

"We're doing something that can help our country. We're stopping people that are coming across illegally," Linda Chase told NBC4.

But some say taking the work of border patrol into their own hands could be deadly. While Gilchrist stresses non-violence, he doesn't rule out the possibility that many of his volunteers will be armed.

"Ten percent of our members are retired law enforcement officers who have a right to carry a concealed weapon. They probably will carry and you won't know it," Gilchrist told NBC4.

But Andy Adame with the U.S. Border Patrol in Tucson told NBC4 that "people are going to get hurt." Adame said many of these volunteers don't know what they're in for.

"When you have untrained civilians, that are armed, that are out in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the night, in the dark, and they meet up with one of these smuggling organizations...you're going to have a gun fight," Adame told NBC4.

Border patrol agents have seen a growing problem with violence in recent years. Agents have been attacked by frustrated smugglers with rocks, bricks, even automatic weapons.

According to authorities, violence along the Tucson sector has climbed to an all-time high. "Bringing untrained civilians into this border environment is a recipe for disaster," Adame told NBC4.

But that has not deterred many of the volunteers.

"It's absolutely a good idea," said a man who plans to volunteer as a pilot for the Minuteman Project. When asked why he thought is was a good idea, Adame told NBC4, "Because I've spent my whole life just about in the military to keep somebody from coming into this country so why not keep it up?"

He's part of what's known as the Minuteman Air Force, both plane and pilot, many of which are well past retirement. They actually plan to use about two dozen aircraft. The typical plane they intend to use down on the border is a small private three-seater aircraft. "I feel it's time the American people stood up and said enough is enough," one of the pilots told NBC4.

It's that mentality that the Minutemen hope will have government officials taking notice.

"This is a chess game. They move and we move and spot and report, and border patrol intercepts and apprehends," Gilchrist told NBC4.

But Gilchrist, who says he wants to work with border patrol, has yet to contact them. "They know what we are doing and I don't feel I have to ask permission to express myself under the first amendment," Gilchrist told NBC4.

The law allows them to do this. It's not illegal for people to organize and in this case camp out in public areas. So come April 1, the Minuteman plan will be in place along the border.
    If you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will give you trouble in the land where you will live.'

Special Report: Border Vigilantes Channel 4 in Los Angeles

http://www.nbc4.tv/newslinks/4247317/detail.html

Great Pictures at the web site!!

LOS ANGELES -- A large group of people are gearing up to take illegal immigration into their own hands.

Civilians from all walks of life - patrolling the border day and night -- even with the threat of violence. It's called the Minuteman Project. Their goal is stop the flow of illegal immigration through the Arizona-Mexico border.

With nearly 500 volunteers from across the nation these self-proclaimed "guardian vigilantes" are preparing to head south.

From his Orange County home, Jim Gilchrist is planning a mission. His tools are a computer, an atlas and an army of volunteers.

"I struck the mother load of nationalism. I thought I would be lucky to get 12 volunteers. In six months, I've gotten almost 500," Gilchrist told NBC4.

Their target is a 230-mile stretch of desert along the Arizona Mexico Border. Some people call the area America's Open Door. Along this section of the border, more than 43 percent of all illegal entries to the U.S. take place.

Last year, the Tucson Border Patrol apprehended 491,000. But for every person caught, at least five walk in undetected.

"We're going to setup at least 40 maybe 80 outposts, four to six people per outpost 24/7, looking for people who are infiltrating over that border," Gilchrist told NBC4.

To do this, Gilchrist is amassing people from all walks of life to spend a month camped out on the border -- people like James and Linda Chase.

"We're doing something that can help our country. We're stopping people that are coming across illegally," Linda Chase told NBC4.

But some say taking the work of border patrol into their own hands could be deadly. While Gilchrist stresses non-violence, he doesn't rule out the possibility that many of his volunteers will be armed.

"Ten percent of our members are retired law enforcement officers who have a right to carry a concealed weapon. They probably will carry and you won't know it," Gilchrist told NBC4.

But Andy Adame with the U.S. Border Patrol in Tucson told NBC4 that "people are going to get hurt." Adame said many of these volunteers don't know what they're in for.

"When you have untrained civilians, that are armed, that are out in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the night, in the dark, and they meet up with one of these smuggling organizations...you're going to have a gun fight," Adame told NBC4.

Border patrol agents have seen a growing problem with violence in recent years. Agents have been attacked by frustrated smugglers with rocks, bricks, even automatic weapons.

According to authorities, violence along the Tucson sector has climbed to an all-time high. "Bringing untrained civilians into this border environment is a recipe for disaster," Adame told NBC4.

But that has not deterred many of the volunteers.

"It's absolutely a good idea," said a man who plans to volunteer as a pilot for the Minuteman Project. When asked why he thought is was a good idea, Adame told NBC4, "Because I've spent my whole life just about in the military to keep somebody from coming into this country so why not keep it up?"

He's part of what's known as the Minuteman Air Force, both plane and pilot, many of which are well past retirement. They actually plan to use about two dozen aircraft. The typical plane they intend to use down on the border is a small private three-seater aircraft. "I feel it's time the American people stood up and said enough is enough," one of the pilots told NBC4.

It's that mentality that the Minutemen hope will have government officials taking notice.

"This is a chess game. They move and we move and spot and report, and border patrol intercepts and apprehends," Gilchrist told NBC4.

But Gilchrist, who says he wants to work with border patrol, has yet to contact them. "They know what we are doing and I don't feel I have to ask permission to express myself under the first amendment," Gilchrist told NBC4.

The law allows them to do this. It's not illegal for people to organize and in this case camp out in public areas. So come April 1, the Minuteman plan will be in place along the border.
    If you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will give you trouble in the land where you will live.'

>>With nearly 500 volunteers from across the nation these self-proclaimed "guardian vigilantes" are preparing to head south. <<

The number now is 700+ and they have stopped accepting volunteers.

>>With nearly 500 volunteers from across the nation these self-proclaimed "guardian vigilantes" are preparing to head south. <<

The number now is 700+ and they have stopped accepting volunteers.