http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4086391&nav=3YeX

Click to Watch Video

State investigates illegal international driver's licenses

(WTNH, Nov. 7, 2005 8:15 PM) _ Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal is launching an investigation after a Team 8 investigation uncovered possible fraud in the sale of so-called international driver's licenses.

The licenses are available in many stores around the state, especially in Danbury which has a huge immigrant population.

by Team 8 Investigator Alan Cohn

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal is concerned who is getting the fake international driver's license documents, how they are getting them, and what they are using them for.

An international driver's license like this one is simply a English version of a foreign driver's license.

They allow foreigners to legally drive in the U.S. and have become very popular in Danbury's large South American community.

But companies that sell them have to be authorized to do so and they can only be sold to people who have a valid driver's license in their native country.

"I don't have a Brazilian license."

But a News Channel 8 intern was offered help in obtaining a fake Brazilian driver's license number at this Danbury store, Interpoint and once he obtained it, our intern Alex was told, they'd sell him an international driver's license.

"You call him and ask him if he can give you the number then I will do it with that number for you."

"I'm outraged. I'm deeply concerned about the extent of this problem what this information shows is the possible prevalence the possible high degree of prevalence of fake documents illegal international driver's licenses," says Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal says he's launching an investigation into what we uncovered and he's also contacting the federal Department of Homeland Security.

"They should have a very strong and compelling interest in this kind of fake use of documents because the international driver's license can be used to rent trucks, cars, take other action that can pose very serious security threats," says Blumenthal.

We called Interpoint to see if anyone there would like to comment on what we discovered was taking place at the store but so far no response.