Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

State Patrol lauds new immigration unit

State Patrol lauds new immigration unit
    By The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 09/10/2007 03:30:03 PM MDT

In its first month on the job, the Colorado State Patrol's Immigration Enforcement Unit had results that "exceed anyone's expectations," according to the executive director of the Department of Public Safety.

In Aug. 31 memo to Gov. Bill Ritter, public-safety director Peter Weir reported that the team in July encountered more than 150 illegal immigrants, including four identified as aggravated felons and 15 criminals.

A total of 87 people were detained, Weir reported, in cases that included overloaded vehicles transporting illegal immigrants and illegal drug and alcohol use by drivers and passengers.

The first month was "noteworthy and remarkably successful in pursuing both traffic-safety and immigration-enforcement goals," Weir wrote. "I am confident that the public's expectations and legislative mandates are being fulfilled completely by these very effective efforts of the Colorado State Patrol."

His memo noted that none of the new unit's cases had worked their way through the judicial system.

State lawmakers created the immigration unit in 2006, giving it the power to crack down on human trafficking and smuggling on state highways.

Earlier this month, The Denver Post reported that in one stop made by the State Patrol's immigration-enforcement unit in western Colorado, officers were forced to release 18 suspected illegal immigrants after the Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement failed to respond to the patrol's request for assistance.

http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_6853205

CSP Immigration Enforcement Unit finding no shortage of work

posted by: Jeffrey Wolf , Web Producer
    written by: Thanh Truong , 9NEWS Reporter
    Last updated: 9/10/2007 6:28:45 PM

DENVER - The Colorado State Patrol's Immigration Enforcement Unit was formed after special legislation specifically trying to address illegal immigration passed in 2006. The 22-member unit began operation in July of this year.

On Monday, CSP released a report detailing the unit's activity in that initial month of operation.

"I think this unit has exceeded everybody's expectations. I think they are making a dent (in illegal immigration). Once word gets out on what the unit is doing and how active they are it's going to have a deterrent effect," said Colorado State Department of Public Safety spokesperson Lance Clem.

According to its first monthly activity report, the unit encountered 150 of what it calls "aliens." In that group of aliens, the unit identified four as aggravated felons and 15 as criminal aliens. A criminal alien is defined as a foreign national who has committed any felony or aggravated felony, committed multiple traffic offenses, or any previously deported alien. Four cases have been or will be presented to the United States Attorney's Office.

The report also mentions the unit's focus on what it calls "safety zones." They are basically targeted roads. Fourteen of the 19 safety zones throughout Colorado are of particular interest to the IEU. They include sections of I-25, I-70, I-76 and CO 160. Those routes, according to the report, are known routes for human smuggling and trafficking.

The unit's primary role is still traffic. Any encounters with suspected illegal immigrants come only after an initial traffic violation. While the unit is proud of its work, the 87 detained is just a fraction of the estimated 250,000 illegal immigrants in Colorado and the estimated 12,000,000 illegal immigrants in the United States.

"Well, it's a federal responsibility but obviously what happened in the state, is the legislators and the public believe that the state has got to do something if the federal government isn't going to act," said Clem.

During an appearance on YOUR SHOW Sunday, U.S. Senator Ken Salazar said the current system is failing.

"Right now with the broken borders that we have and the lack of enforcement with immigration laws we have what I consider a de facto amnesty," said the Democratic Senator from Colorado.

Salazar was pushing for what he called comprehensive immigration reform earlier this year. It was met with tremendous opposition that eventually killed the proposal. Until the federal government offers an alternative to the current system which many have labeled "broken," CSP's fledgling unit will likely have time and opportunity to mature.

"I think we're a long way from immigration reform really happening to the point where this unit has to worry about what it's going to do during the day. I think they're going to be busy for a long time," said Clem.

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=77096
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn