Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

State rep wants to use technology to fight meth

http://www.news-journal.com/news/conten ... thDay.html

State representative wants to use technology to fight meth production
    Berman honored for fight against drug

By ADAM J. HOLLAND

Friday, December 01, 2006

TYLER — Even though state Rep. Leo Berman, R-Tyler, was pleased to be honored by federal officials Thursday for his fight against illegal drugs, he said there is still more work to be done.

As part of National Methamphetamine Awareness Day, Berman was presented with a resolution in Tyler by U.S. Attorney Matthew D. Orwig, recognizing his contribution to fighting the production of meth in East Texas.

Berman co-authored and introduced Texas House Bill 164 in 2004, which led to the 2005 law that medications containing pseudoephedrine must be kept behind the counter at pharmacies.

PSE is a common ingredient in over-the-counter cold medication and is also used to manufacture illegal methamphetamine.

The law also requires that customers are allowed to purchase only two packages of PSE products at a time, and that customer identities are recorded.

Berman wants to take the law one step further, which could make investigations into meth manufacturing more efficient and effective, he said.

"I'd like to go to electronic filing of pseudoephedrine purchases so that law enforcement officials statewide can see records on a Web site," Berman said.

He said he would then like to tackle the problem of meth traffickers coming into Texas from Mexico, with additional manpower and tools — including high-powered weapons — to city, county and state law enforcement agencies near the border.

"We've eliminated many of the meth labs here (in Texas), but refined meth crack is being manufactured in Mexico and being brought to Texas ready to sell," Berman said. "The Mexican drug cartels are using high-powered weapons, and we should do anything we can to help put a stop to the meth traffic."

While federal law enforcement officials did not address Mexican meth labs Thursday, they touted that the number of clandestine meth labs seized in East Texas was reduced from 13 in federal fiscal year 2006 to one so far in the 2007 fiscal year.

The federal fiscal year runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30 the following year.

"And we only found it Tuesday night in Upshur County," DEA agent Richard Sanders said, declining to give more details.

Statewide, the number of meth lab seizures declined by 62 percent during the seven months after Aug. 1, 2005, when Berman's bill became law, according to a report released Thursday by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

The same period one year earlier yielded 285 seizures.

Additionally, workplace drug testing results showed a 14.8 percent decrease in positive tests for amphetamine during the first five months in 2006, compared to the same period a year earlier, the report showed.

National Methamphetamine Awareness Day was sponsored by the U.S. Department of Justice to generate awareness about the effects of meth abuse on people, families and communities.

"Almost every drug case these days has a meth connection. I'm just amazed at how prevalent it is," said Alan R. Jackson, assistant U.S. attorney. "Meth is just killing those people."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is a horrible thing that is happening to people in this country. I don't understand why anyone would want to use these drugs and destroy their lives but the way they are fighting this is ridiculous. People who are on sinus medicine that have never used drugs have to show all kinds of id to buy the medicine while they leave the borders wide open and let all of this pour into the country. This is just crazy. The very first thing that should be done is to secure the border and stop the drugs from entering the country. This would take alot of drugs off the streets immediately.

It's not technology that well prevent Meth from coming across the border. It is boots on the ground and a strong showing of force.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Authorities Say Meth Use Is Still An Epidemic In Triangle Area

http://www.wral.com/news/10434475/detail.html

RALEIGH, N.C. -- When it comes to methamphetamine production in North Carolina, the news is getting better. The number of labs found by authorities is down, and new laws make it tougher to buy the drug's ingredients. But many law-enforcement officials agreed Thursday that the problem is far from over.

U.S. Attorney George Holding and sheriffs from Triangle-area counties took time out on Methamphetamine Awareness Day to talk about the ever-growing threat of meth labs.

Despite a 40 percent drop in meth lab busts, officials from counties near the Triangle said the labs are thriving. Twenty-three labs in Harnett County and 12 more in Sampson County have been found.

In addition, authorities said, drugs imported from Mexico are taking over across the area. Traffic from super-labs across the border has contributed to making use of the drug an epidemic. According to the people at a meeting Thursday, meth is killing families and communities.

"I heard a fellow say a few weeks ago that drug crimes are a victimless crime," said Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bissell. "Well, they need to come sit in my office and see the mom and the dad, the grandma and grandpa. Their families are destroyed because of meth dealers that sold their child meth."

Meth labs can operate out of closets or in the back of pickup trucks. On Wednesday evening, Johnston County authorities arrested an alleged drug dealer who was found with a working meth lab in the trunk of his automobile.

Meth is one of the most addicitve drugs out there, I have seen it ruin countless families and lives.
    I lost my home and family to it and never had touched the stuff myself.
    This is why I tell people that if someone tries to give you some, RUN! They are pointing a gun at your head and want you to pull the trigger.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Interesting...