Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Stephanie Sandoval on Ordinance 2903 in Farmers Branch

Stephanie Sandoval on Ordinance 2903 in Farmers Branch
    02:46 PM CDT on Monday, May 14, 2007

Welcome! Stephanie Sandoval is now taking your questions.

Stephanie Sandoval: Hello everyone. Thank you all for taking the time and interest to chat today

From Email: Ms.Sandoval: Does the FB ordinance 2903 prevent a common practice of allowing legal residents from renting one or multiple apartments to house illegals? Thank you, D.B.

Stephanie Sandoval: No, it does not specifically address the issue of someone renting an apartment in their name and then allowing illegal immigrants to live there. But most apartment complexes require that any adult occupying a unit be on the lease.

tee: Are there any updates today that you can talk about?

Stephanie Sandoval: Not so far. No word yet out of the attorneys who filed the lawsuits earlier against the city. But the city is moving forward with plans to implement the law on May 22

From Email: Will the FB Immigration Law passage create hardships on the landlords of FB apartments? Will these landlords now start accepting Section 8 housing to avoid any penalties that would otherwise be imposed by FB?

Stephanie Sandoval: The city says there will be no hardships on the apartments, that they are only required to obtain copies of documents proving tenant are citizens or in the country legally. The Apartment Association of Greater Dallas, however, contends it's placing a burden on apartment management, and unfairly targeting one business.

Stephanie Sandoval: They say, for example, that the ordinance targets apartments, but doesn't affect extended-stay hotels, where people can lease by the week or month or longer.

Stephanie Sandoval: As for accepting Section 8, HUD requires that all Section 8 clients be US citizens or legal residents of the United States. So accepting Section 8 housing would not ease any perceived burden on apartments.

From Email: Hello Stephanie, I read something recently that I would like you to check out. A website related to international events in Dallas carried a statement from a local attorney who said that there is no way for many workers to apply for citizenship. It is my understanding that you apply according to your profession -- and there is no category in which someone who is willing to come to the U.S. to do many of the tasks that illegal immigrants do -- construction work, for example, may apply. Thus, it's not a question of someone not being willing to pull together a few hundred dollars for fees, or wait a certain length of time. There is no legal way for them to get permission to work here -- I would like to know if this is true. S. Cole

Stephanie Sandoval: The United States does not grant work visas to just any immigrant who applies. Often they have to be married or engaged to a US citizen or legal immigrant, or have an employer serve as a sponsor, who will vouch that the employee has a skill that is in high demand, and not enough workers here with that skill, for example.

coolguy: Will any other cities be following Farmers' Branch decision? I live in North Richland Hills? How can I pressure my city to do the same?

Stephanie Sandoval: Political observers believe that elected politicians in cities not just in North Texas, but around the nation -- as well as future political candidates may try to capitalize on Americans frustration with the lack of border control by seizing on the issue. They may see American's resentment over illegal immigration and proposing similar measures in their cities as a way to build a larger support base.

From Email: Dear Stephanie: Since the voters in Farmers Branch approved Ordinance 2903, the illegal aliens will just go to Carrollton, now, right??? After all, it is only 1 city, not the entire country. Farmers Branch just transferred their problem to another city, right???? Thanks and Best Regards, Catherine Casterline

Stephanie Sandoval: Already apartment complexes in neighboring cities are marketing their properties to apartment tenants in Farmers Branch. But the ordinance does not necessarily mean illegal immigrants in apartments in Farmers Branch now have to move out. If they are under a lease or rental agreement, they may renew that lease without having to provide the required evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status

webbinfb: Is it not true that some of the apartments were already checking for the same requirements that are on the I-9 form, ie, must have a SS and a drivers license?

Stephanie Sandoval: Yes. Apartments that rent to Section 8 clients have had to check for these documents. And many apartments use the standard Texas Apartment Association rental application, which includes a box where applicants are asked to state if they are a US Citizen or not. If not, they have the option of asking the prospective tenant to fill out a supplemental form and provide documents showing they are here legally. But how many of those apartments ask for those immigration documents is unknown.

Plano: Specifically what documents does someone need to show that he/she is a legal resident.

Stephanie Sandoval: A US citizen renting an apartment in Farmers Branch would have to provide a valid driver's license and either a passport or birth certificate. Non citizens living here legally would have to provide one of several Immigration documents, including what is commonly known as a "green card", or a temporary resident card, an employment authorization card or anything that the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Department also deems as acceptable evidence of immigration status.

coolguy: I'm not following, how can they continue to live in Farmers' Branch, wont the landlords have to evict or face a $500 fine?

Stephanie Sandoval: The law only applies to those who are entering into new lease agreements. If their current lease includes a clause specifically allowing for periodic renewal of the lease, then that is considered a renewal, and renewals are not subject to the ordinance. If the lease does not include that clause, then the tenant, when that lease is up, would enter into a New lease to remain. With that new lease, they would fall under the requirements of the ordinance. It can be a bit difficult to understand.

tee: Is FB receiving calls from other cities interested in doing the same thing?

Stephanie Sandoval: I don't know that. Early on they received inquiries from other cities around the country asking for copies of the ordinance. The mayors that I and my colleagues have talked to over the last few months have said they don't want to pursue this type of measure in their city.

GRIMMETT: MS SANDOVAL----WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE COST TO THE CITY IN LEGAL CHARGES THAT WILL BE PAID BY THE CITY OF FARMERS BRANCH INSURANCE COMPANY???THERE IS A LOT OF TALK ABOUT THE CITIY'S INSURANCE PAYING MOST OF THE CITY'S LEGAL COST.

Stephanie Sandoval: I have not had an opportunity to verify this, but some supporters of the ordinance have said insurance would pay for all but about $50,000 of each lawsuit. Again, it's not something i've been able to verify yet.

From Email: Now that the "VOTERS HAVE DECIDED" overwhelmingly, why are there still lawsuits?

Stephanie Sandoval: Apparently, the attorneys and plaintiff's in those lawsuits still believe the law is unconstitutional and otherwise still hold that their arguments against the law is valid. One thing to point out is that the group Let The Voters Decide did not sue the city. Although their largest financial backer is the group of attorneys that filed two out of four of the original lawsuits

tj: Is there anything we can do to help fight this ordinance?

Stephanie Sandoval: I think the issue is in the court's hands now. The opportunity to fight the ordinance was prior to Saturday's election.

Plano: I expect that FB is going to have issues enforcing this fairly. For example - I as a white male will probably not have to provide the same level of documentation that someone of a darker complexion would.

Stephanie Sandoval: That's what opponents of the ordinance stated particularly last fall, shortly after Mr. O'Hare made public his desire to implement such a law, and said the law was therefore racist. Opponents, however, argue that all tenants entering into new apartment leases in the city will have to provide the same documents, regardless of ethnicity or nationality, and will not target anyone by race or ethnicity.

webbinfb: Do your personal feelings about this ordinance effect your reporting?

Stephanie Sandoval: No, they do not. I get asked this question often. In fact, i've been called racist by those who oppose the ordinance, and called an illegal immigrant lover by those who support it, with both sides often believing I am biased toward the other side. But it is my job NOT to insert personal opinion into my news stories. And it IS my job, and one I take seriously, to present both sides fairly.

webbinfb: Perhaps in your investigative reporting you should find out if the apartment complexes sueing the city are in their normal business practices, already complying with the ordinance.

Stephanie Sandoval: I've found the management at many apartment complexes unwilling to respond to my questions regarding anything to do with the ordinance.

phowell: What do you know about lawsuits that are being filed against Farmers Branch by the ACLU and LULAC?

Stephanie Sandoval: I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Stephanie Sandoval: I know of no lawsuits that are to be filed at this point. But there are two pending lawsuits against the city. Originally there were four, but three of those were ordered to be consolidated into one case by the federal judge.

webbinfb: Do you have any statistics on the gang activity at RL Turner in relationship to those living in the nearby apartments?

Stephanie Sandoval: I don't, to be honest, have any information or knowledge about that. Reporting on the debate over Ordinance 2903 has occupied nearly all of my working hours for months.

tj: Is this ordinance applicable to single family homes, townhouses, and condominiums?

Stephanie Sandoval: No. This ordinance only applies to apartment rentals.

JB: Even if no lawsuits are ever filed by ACLU oe LULAC, do you feel these two organizations will contribute monetarily to those lawsuits?

Stephanie Sandoval: The ACLU did, in conjunction with MALDEF, file one of the lawsuits against the city on behalf of apartments and residents. I don't have copies of the four lawsuits in front of me at the moment, but don't believe LULAC has been a party in any of the lawsuits today. As to whether LULAC will contribute in some way to those lawsuits, I couldn't speculate.

webbinfb: I see those 2 items as distinctly related, further, I had one candidate for CFBISD place 6 tell me there was no gang activity in RL Turner, even though there was a car jacking in the parking lot only 2 years ago.

tj: Is there someplace we can send money to support the lawsuits against the city?

Stephanie Sandoval: Not that I'm aware of, though I presume the ACLU, MALDEF and possibly the Bickel & Brewer storefront accept donations to their causes.

Eavesdropper: I liked what you said about trying to maintain objectivity on a hotbutton subject--sounds like if you've gotten some irritation from both sides of the issue you are indeed doing a nice job

Stephanie Sandoval: Thank you. I believe I've done my best to get the story right, and to be balanced in my reporting.

Stephanie Sandoval: Any other questions?

Stephanie Sandoval: Thank you all for the chat today.

News Chat Moderator: That's all we have time for today. Thanks, Stephanie, and thanks to everyone who participated.

http://www.dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That was more fair and balanced than I would expect from the Dallas Morning News considering their scathing attacks on our side in Farmers Branch!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)