http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandfork ... tstory.jsp

Posted on Tue, Jun. 14, 2005

Study tracks surge in illegal immigration from Mexico

BY ANTHONY SPANGLER AND DIANE SMITH
Knight Ridder Newspapers

FORT WORTH, Texas - (KRT) - Illegal immigrants have become more intertwined in American society, with nearly one-third of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants having at least one immediate family member who is a U.S. citizen, a new study shows.

The study released Tuesday by the Pew Hispanic Center found that nearly two-thirds of those new arrivals came in the last decade. They are mostly young families from Mexico.

"They're intertwined in American society to an unprecedented extent," said Roberto Surro, director of the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group based in Washington, D.C.

Texas ranks second to California with 1.4 million illegals and was the only traditional destination state to increase its share of new arrivals, rising from 11 percent in 1990 to 14 percent in 2002-04, the study shows.

The other traditional destination states - California, New York, Florida, Illinois and New Jersey - saw a decline or held steady.

But the number of illegal immigrants outside of these states soared - from 400,000 to 3.9 million since 1990.

Javier, a 33-year-old undocumented worker from Mexico City, brought his family to the suburbs northeast of Fort Worth. Javier, who didn't want his full name published for fear of deportation, earns about $2,100 a month as a store clerk and painter.

He and his wife have two daughters. The youngest, who is 2, was born in Texas. Javier said he knows his 13-year-old will face issues about her legal status that his American-born daughter won't.

Different circumstances drew Jorge Rodriguez, 23, to Fort Worth. He left Mexico City three years ago in search of independence, economic opportunity and a taste of the American life he's seen portrayed in movies. A friend from Fort Worth urged him to come to North Texas. A lack of U.S. legal status didn't stand in his way.

"I like the way Americans think," said Rodriguez, as he tested a guitar at a Fort Worth music store. He strummed Eric Clapton's "If I Saw You In Heaven" as he explained that he has a high school education in his homeland and is the son of a mechanic.

"It's been worth it," Rodriguez said in Spanish. "I've reached my goal of being independent, of not asking my mother or father for money. I came here to become a man."

Rodriguez, who works as a painter, said the Mexicans who come searching for jobs and money in this country come from varying circumstances, classes and regions of Mexico. They are not homogeneous.

The Pew Hispanic Center prepared the study for the Independent Task Force on Immigration and America's Future - a bipartisan panel of congress members; leaders from key business, labor and immigrant groups; public policy and immigration experts.

The study used data from the March 2004 Current Population Survey, conducted by the Census Bureau and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The Pew Hispanic Center's report uses the word "unauthorized" rather than "illegal" to describe the immigrants because some enter the U.S. legally but stay beyond their immigration status. The report also uses "migrant" rather than "immigrant" because many new arrivals are more likely to return to their countries of origin.

"These populations are fairly well settled and they are showing a willingness to participate in temporary work programs," said Jeffrey S. Passel, who wrote the study.

Guillermo Martinez, 22, came to this country about five years ago. He brought his wife and son with him and shrugged off the need for legal status. Two other sons were born here.

Martinez, who lays pipes, said he likes the freedom of American culture.

"You can buy a car, a house, clothes," Martinez said.

Still, Martinez said his dream is to return to Mexico.

---

STUDY HIGHLIGHTS

For illegal immigrants, 56 percent of women and 92 percent of men are employed, compared with 64 percent of women and 86 percent of men who are legal immigrants.

Illegal immigrants are just as likely to have a high school diploma - 25 percent - as legal immigrants, but only 15 percent have college degrees compared with 32 percent for legal immigrants.

Annual family incomes for illegal immigrants average about $27,400, compared with legal immigrants who earn on average $47,800 a year.

Mexico accounts for 57 percent of unauthorized entries, 24 percent come from other Latin American countries, and 9 percent are from Asia.

Source: Pew Hispanic Center

-