Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Summers: Administration can pursue both climate bill, immig.

The Hill
    Summers: Administration can pursue both climate bill, immigration reform
    By Ian Swanson - 04/25/10 11:11 AM ET

The Obama administration wants to pursue both climate change and immigration legislation, according to a senior advisor to the president.

There is “no either/orâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They are both bad ideas and pay backs. JMO
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Of course this Congress and Administration are going to work at lightning speed to get as much accomplished before the Nov elections. If what they want to do is so 'right' than why the hurry?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Republicans should not be lured into any false hope that if they are cooperative on immigration it will gain them enough Latino votes to win in their respective races. This is no more than a trap that Democrats are setting up, designed only for their own advantage.

If Graham, Collins, Snowe, etc, are smart they will just wash their hands of the issue. And we should tell them that, especially Graham. The Democrats would blunder seriously with the American people if they tried to do an immigration bill with the reconciliation process...... and wouldn't have enough votes to beat a standard filibuster.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron
    Republicans should not be lured into any false hope that if they are cooperative on immigration it will gain them enough Latino votes to win in their respective races. This is no more than a trap that Democrats are setting up, designed only for their own advantage.

If Graham, Collins, Snowe, etc, are smart they will just wash their hands of the issue. And we should tell them that, especially Graham. The Democrats would blunder seriously with the American people if they tried to do an immigration bill with the reconciliation process...... and wouldn't have enough votes to beat a standard filibuster.
    Good point in first paragraph CR.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that, unlike health care, reconcilation can't be used for an amnesty attempt. This is one reason why Obama and Reid are lobbying some Repubs like Brown, Collins, Snowe, Gregg, LeMieux, Murkowski, Lugar (and probably Brownback, Cornyn and Hutchsion) in addition to Graham.

I hope you are right on the reconciliation question. However it is possible ( though I don't think likely) that a CIR bill would not meet a filibuster. I have been told by a number of people that there is no chance of CIR passing....but we thought HC would likely not pass either. Well, I hope they are right, as I have lots of other things to do and Republicans will gain a fair number of seats later this fall, though perhaps not as many as they might think.

If this is true then Obama is just making noise to make himself look good to immigration advocates. Even on liberal blogs like NewsVine people are tired of illegal immigration.

Locally we are trying to derail (almost literally) a big transportation plan. The environmentalist groups got a state law through that our six largest population areas have to adopt a plan that both reduces CO2 emissions AND prepares for population growth. (from where?) In our major city these plans would cost taxpayers probably 30 billion over two decades. But with the Democratic congressional delegation from our state they figure they have easy access to federal money. Aside from the population growth, which the spending itself helps promote via employment opps., there is really no reason for all of it. Our group has a plan that is a few billion, but we are against a huge entrenched liberal bureaucracy. Plus they are out to prove they are world leaders in transportation planning and "smart growth" no matter how much it has to be subsidized by federal money.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David