Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Survey: Most residents favor citizenship for illegals

April 20, 2009

Most residents favor citizenship for illegal immigrants

We talk a lot here about the mood of the region and country on immigration. It's rare, however, to actually quantify people's opinions on the matter.

We can get a peek into residents' attitudes locally thanks to the 2009 Houston Area Survey, conducted by Stephen Klineberg, the Rice University sociology professor who has directed the annual survey since 1982.

Klineberg says his survey, released this week, shows that the recent negative views of immigrants in general have begun to turn around. However, it's a bit more nuanced than that.

The data does show that the majority of residents in the Houston area support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. However, half of the survey respondents said they support a law that would deny health and welfare services to illegal immigrants in Texas. Here's a summary from Klineberg on the survey:

The numbers of area residents who believe that the new immigration "mostly strengthens American culture" increased from 39 percent in 1997 to 57 percent in 2005, and then dropped to 44 percent in 2007, before recovering to 49 percent in this year's survey.

The percentage of area residents who favor "granting illegal immigrants a path to legal citizenship if they speak English and have no criminal record" dropped from 68 percent in 2007 to 56 percent in 2008, and then recovered to 61 percent in this year's survey.

The numbers saying that the increasing ethnic diversity brought about by immigration is a "good thing" dropped from 67 percent in 2005 to 62 percent in 2007, and remained unchanged (at 61 percent) in 2009.

In the 2009 survey, 64 percent agreed that, "The children of illegal immigrants should have the right to attend the public schools," down from 71 percent in 2007.

68 percent today are in favor of "imposing fines and criminal charges against employers in this community who hire illegal immigrants," up from 56 percent two years ago.

In 2007, 44 percent were in favor of "a law that would deny health and welfare services to il-legal immigrants in Texas." In 2009, 50 percent were in support of that proposal.

This survey of 706 randomly selected Harris County adults was conducted Feb. 3 through Feb. 25 by the University of Houston Center for Public Policy.

The margin of error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/

bullcrap alert! Who in the world would believe a liberal illegal alien supporting sociologist's poll numbers?

Really folks.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Who is answering the survey? Illegal immigrants?
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Who is answering the survey? Illegal immigrants?
    You got that right!

MW
    Deleted by me once I found out this was a duplicate post.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well, what's the population in Harris county? and only 760 "randomly" selected participants. Well now this is very scientific isn't it? :P :P :P
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And how many illegal aliens in Houston filled out this survey?
    The flag flies at half-mast out of grief for the death of my beautiful, formerly-free America. May God have mercy on your souls.
    RIP USA 7/4/1776 - 11/04/2008

MW

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Comments: Add Yours Here: Let's let them know we know they are liars!
    http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/arch ... l#comments
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The majority of which you speak is misrepresentation. The Houstonians that want ILLEGALS to become citizens, were all once ILLEGALS themselves. Mexicans wanting more Mexicans to live here. Just ask ANY white person & you will not get the same answer. Go home. Get out & stay out.

Posted by: Kreno at April 20, 2009 12:24 PM

Thursday, March 26, 2009, 11:00 AM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Rasmussen Poll conducted in mid-March reveals that the majority of Americans do favor stricter enforcement of the nation's immigration laws. This comes after news that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will review the current worksite enforcement program.

The poll shows that 67% of Americans would favor local police conducting surprise raids where immigrants congregate daily to find work. Only 24% disagree with the practice.

Results also reveal that 68% of Americans favor stricter sanctions against companies that hire undocumented workers. Only 22% oppose stricter sanctions.

•Other polls conducted by Rasmussen show that 79% of voters think the United States should beef up its military presence on the Mexican border.
    •73% of voters think police should automatically check a person's immigration status during traffic violations.
    ====
    What did they do, set up a polling station outside of the neighborhood, michoacana???
    None of the poll numbers I have seen support these findings.
    The poll numbers I do not take opposition to, is that ethnic diversity, brought on by LEGAL immigration, is good. That is the clincher with this number. Legal immigrants bring with them, a sense of honor. Illegal aliens can NOT be lumped into this group, if it is to be correct.
    I also agree with the criminal actions to be taken to employers. Other wise, this poll has been tainted somewhere along the lines.

Posted by: chiefdecoy at April 20, 2009 12:28 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

try surveying CITIZENS ONLY, your survey might have very different results

Posted by: John at April 20, 2009 12:29 PM

Okay now I know that this isn't accurate. Based on the not only the people I know, and the comments that are posted here daily about illegal aliens, I know that is not a FACT! I think the poll was asked of illegals themselves and their anchor babies!

Posted by: Pam at April 20, 2009 12:31 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like this is quite a biased/slanted article. Ha , like every other article in this fishwrap, even the sports monkey has to put his two cents in on the liberal propaganda spewing on here.

Posted by: Curtis at April 20, 2009 12:34 PM
    Highly doubtful this "survey" reflects the views of a majority of Harris County adult citizens. Moreover, if this question, "The percentage of area residents who favor "granting illegal immigrants a path to legal citizenship if they speak English and have no criminal record" was revised to this: "The percentage of area residents who favor "granting illegal immigrants a path to legal citizenship if they CANNOT speak English and have no criminal record" you would see a much different number.

The reality is that the vast majority (82%) of illegal immigrants cannot speak English. Revise that poll and you will see a clear shift in opposition to amnesty for illegal immmigrants.

Posted by: Alexander145 at April 20, 2009 12:36 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sure the majority in Houston now are illegal aliens. The majority of Native Houstonians want them gone. Our fair city has become a trash bin and this paper is promoting it.

Posted by: Supertiger at April 20, 2009 12:36 PM
    This isnt true. Most people I know in the Houston area want them gone, period. Because of them Houston is basically a big ghetto with a few nice areas.

Posted by: steve at April 20, 2009 12:38 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NO ASKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: snafu123 at April 20, 2009 12:39 PM

61% OF 706 'randomly' selected people think illegal aliens should be rewarded with amnesty.

Posted by: MEGABITE at April 20, 2009 12:40 PM
    "We can get a peek into residents' attitudes locally thanks to the 2009 Houston Area Survey, conducted by Stephen Klineberg, the Rice University sociology professor who has directed the annual survey since 1982."

The survey, conducted totally in Spanish, was focused on a broad range of residents to get the most desired result so this jakeleg can get legislation passed for his own self-serving interests.

Posted by: Sam at April 20, 2009 12:42 PM
    `~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can make up your own stats all day long and they still won't make a hill of beans! This is a blatant lie and yellow journalism! The ONLY reason for this dink of writing is to vainly attempt to sway a few people that they are outnumbered and to give in. The MAJORITY OF HOUSTONIANS and CITIZENS of this country want ALL ILLEGALS OUT NOW! You can't print blatant lies. And ONLY CITIZENS should EVER be polled about matters of THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

Posted by: widow at April 20, 2009 12:42 PM
    Lies and propaganda. No wonder the Chronicle and so many other newspapers are having layoffs.

Posted by: John at April 20, 2009 12:45 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHo did you survey? Mexicans, blacks? Your survey SUCKS! The comical proves once again that it is full of FLUFF reporting that panders only to the LEFT WING LIBERALS!

Posted by: Andi-Kingwood, TX at April 20, 2009 12:45 PM
    !~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Did they survey people hanging out close to the parking lots of Lowes and Home Depot?
    Each year we deny the applications for tens of thousands of people who would like to legally immigrate here, so why on earth would we want to legalize those who did not apply or follow the law?
    Immigrants built this country. I love the different flavors those from around the world continue to bring to the U.S. I love the art, the music, the food, the style and everything else we get from other cultures, but reality is reality, and we can't have open borders. We must control our population so that our infrastructure, including schools and hospitals, can accomodate everyone so people aren't dying in the streets of disease and so that every child can go to school.
    The fact is that we must control our population and to do so, we must have immigration rules and laws. If those rules and laws must be modified, so be it. Let's modify them while still having every person apply to immigrate here, and those who immigrate illegally should be deported for STEALING the place of someone who is following our rules and laws.
    Why is this not common sense?

Posted by: ChesterCheeto at April 20, 2009 12:46 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    C'mon, this can't be true. I would like to see the actual question asked. I would imagine it is something like "Do you support a path to citizenship including fines, returning to home country, waiting period etc." and yeah you could possibly get 61%. But asking for pure amnesty? No way! I am gonna call BS on this one.

Posted by: SmartlyLiberal at April 20, 2009 12:49 PM
    I am a "legal" immigrant that was born in Canada. I have been paying my taxes since I moved in the US even before I became a US citizen. While I was trying to get my green card, I had to sign a paper that stating that I would not be eligible for any welfare, medicare/medicaid fro 3 years and someone had also to petition for me to the effect that I would not be a monetary burden to the US for this same 3 years. You think I am favorable to have illegal immigranst have citizenship ? Hell....NO!!!!! I wish I could talk to people that do not know at all what it is to come "legally" in the US. I never got anything free....Illegal get everything free....Make them take the same process I took to become citizen

Posted by: paul at April 20, 2009 12:50 PM
    There is an old adage: Figures don't lie but liars can figure. This so-called professional survey is so lacking in substance that it can be configured to offer any opinion desired.

Posted by: Don Landers at April 20, 2009 12:52 PM
    There's a reason why you can't open your eyes and see the future, Kreno. The eyeholes in your hood go on the front of your head.

On the plus side, thanks for being living proof that all immigrant bashers are either open or closeted racists.

Posted by: Ben at April 20, 2009 12:53 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Give the survey again and exclude anyone who has an illegal family member or who hires illegal immigrants for their personal profit...99% against, 1% brain dead...

Posted by: w00t at April 20, 2009 12:54 PM
    Who did you poll? The illegal aliens and their relatives? Even Obama can lie better than this.

Posted by: jwyoming at April 20, 2009 12:54 PM

Well well well... the cat is out of the bag! Eat your hearts out guys.

Posted by: Shoopah6 at April 20, 2009 12:55 PM
    Having worked on a poll, I know that how the questions are worded can influence the answer. I never trust a poll unless I can read the exact questions, in the same sequence, as the person who was polled was asked.

Posted by: js51 at April 20, 2009 12:55 PM
    As someone who LEGALLY immigrated to the USA after a long wait and made it through the American system, I strongly object to granting illegal aliens amnesty and eventual citizenship. Require them to return to their homeland and get in line, and follow LEGAL procedure like my family did, and others who LEGALLY immigrated here.

Posted by: Rocknocker at April 20, 2009 12:57 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    bill white made houston a sanctuary city, has anyone checked to see who does the yard work at mayor whites home ?

Posted by: antone at April 20, 2009 12:57 PM
    This BS the only people who want this are illegal, or people who uste to be illegal, ask black or whites and see what they say

Posted by: lb at April 20, 2009 12:58 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Total BS

Posted by: a at April 20, 2009 12:59 PM

Another BOGUS STORY by houston chronicle LIEters !!!

Posted by: reyhud2006 at April 20, 2009 01:21 PM
    "Just ask ANY white person & you will not get the same answer. Go home. Get out & stay out."-kreno.

Now how ignorant and racist is that? Heck I'm not white but I am in FAVOR of some type of reform. Not just letting any person in but if they can show they wish to speak English and aren't some criminal, they are more than welcome. Most of the people here are just plain ignorant hiding behind a screen. Use at least "some" common sense if you have any. I thought it wasn't about race huh?
    Isn't that the main point about groups like the Minutemen?
    (speaking in little girl's playful voice): "it's not about race, they are illegal".

Well boneheads like Kreno and lb are proof that it is and they are just some xenophobe racist idiots.

Posted by: sambo at April 20, 2009 01:22 PM
    I can see that based on these comments, just like on others and the majority of people I know, that they are AGAINST amnesty and illegals being able to stay here until they become citizens and everyone also KNOWS this survey DOES NOT speak for Houston at all and this does not represent our city!!

Posted by: Pam at April 20, 2009 01:22 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This only goes to prove that you can easily manipulate wording to make any survey look like whatever you want it to say.

Posted by: Michael at April 20, 2009 01:25 PM
    Who the held did he ask? Survey of 20 mush-minded marxists at Rice? I don't know a single person that is in favor of giving illegal aliens a free pass to citizenship. Of course, I don't hang out with illegals. Maybe that is who he polled.

This proves that Rice is not that good of a school with a professor this stupid making the news. Obviously a marxist that wants 12 million more votes for the Democratic (I mean marxist) Party.

Posted by: Joe at April 20, 2009 01:25 PM
    This has to be the same poll taker who said that the Houston area is in favor of Oueer rights.
    This is putrid communist propaganda. A filthy lie and the citizens DO NOT want these parasites in out midst's.
    MEXICO GO HOME!!

Posted by: Jerry Martin at April 20, 2009 01:27 PM
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Total propaganda! Must've surved only Mexicans.

Posted by: tdgrl at April 20, 2009 01:29 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For heaven's sake, please tell me this "poll" was not done on Airline St.

TOTAL GARBAGE!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dave at April 20, 2009 01:30 PM
    I don't believe this story. Who was interviewed other mexicans? Everyone I know of is totally against this. This is a very slanted and unbelievable story. It is a big lie! I want them all to leave and take their anchor babies with them. I am tired of supporting them.

Posted by: Palanie at April 20, 2009 01:31 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A majority? Sorry, but I don't even remotely believe that.

Posted by: farrelle at April 20, 2009 01:32 PM

well thats the biggest crock of poo i've ever read. why on earth the chronicle puts crap like this up is beyond me, my family, my friends, my peers.............time to get real chron, or your days will be numbered!

Posted by: loridarlin at April 20, 2009 01:34 PM
    what did you expect from a pro illegal newspaper? the chron.supports any movement that tears this country down.

Posted by: john at April 20, 2009 01:36 PM
    I guess Professor Klineberg surveyed only those that agree with his opinions. Every year the Chronicle prints his bogus findings and every year the majority of Houston's legal citizens rolled their eyes in disgust.

Either you live in an ivy-covered tower untouched by the devastion caused by illegals or you profit from illegals. Those of us that have watched our neighborhoods, our schools, our security be taken over by people that care nothing about our citizens or our country and have no right to be in our country know the truth! And it is not giving criminals citizenship! They laugh at our laws and you want to give them a free pass on my tax dollar...this is insane! It will never happen...too many American citizens know the truth and our numbers grow every day! Professor Klineberg, a lot of Houstonian have been badly hurt by illegals and when something like this is printed,it is like American citizens don't count, but the illegal do, I want to cry from the injustice and not being heard over the voices of illegal supporters. You are wrong and so is your yearly surveys...we do matter!

Posted by: Major at April 20, 2009 01:38 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ashamed to read so much racial hatred and so little compassion OR positive suggestions to this complicated issue. do not forget reagan the precious caused the entire mess with blanket amnesty. how many so-called christians and rock rib, front-pew church-folk aka tea-partiers here 'member that fact?

Posted by: deb martin at April 20, 2009 01:39 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "706 randomly selected Harris County adults..." A survey of 706 people in a city the size of Houston means NOTHING. Whoever chose to print this either a) Thinks you are an idiot. or b) IS an idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyOttersaid at April 20, 2009 01:39 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Survey: Majority [of illegal aliens] in Houston want citizenship for illegal immigrants

Posted by: comityguy at April 20, 2009 01:43 PM
    Saturday I talked to a cencus taker who was encouraging people to be sure to fill out the cencus form. He told me that some folks were afraid to do that so I asked him what measure they take to make sure Illegals didn't get counted and this was his response: we don't check, we don't care. I then looked at him and said "You DON'T care"???????
    All he could do was turn and walk away.
    I wasn't surprised by his answer just mad to hear it spoken with such sincerity. My taxes are paying this fool.

Posted by: Ironwoman at April 20, 2009 01:45 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Were these random surveys conducted among the throngs of illegal aliens who congregate near Home Depots, etc?

Posted by: BR at April 20, 2009 01:45 PM
    I'm not saying I disagree with this as my opinion on this is moot. I do find it hard to conclude that the results of a survey of 706 people should be used to extrapolate what millions of people in Houston think about any subject. I hear a lot about survey results. I am 51 years old and have been a registered voter since college. Yet I have never been surveyed by any group, and I don't know anyone else who has ever been surveyed. Just a fluke? I don't know.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

National Defense First - Social Programs Last

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast