Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

suspends student for organizing anti-illegal immigration pro

http://www.splc.org/newsflash.asp?id=1275&year=
    School suspends student for organizing anti-illegal immigration protest

© 2006 Student Press Law Center

June 6, 2006

CALIFORNIA — A student in Riverside, Calif., filed a lawsuit last week against his high school after school officials suspended him for advertising an off-campus protest and later stopped him from wearing an anti-immigration T-shirt.

Joshua Denhalter was first suspended from Jurupa Valley High School in March when he attempted to organize a counter-demonstration after several students from the Mexican-American organization MEChA held a walkout and an on-campus protest against recent federal immigration legislation. According to the lawsuit filed Thursday, Denhalter was handing out fliers before school for a response assembly that would have taken place during the school’s open lunch period on a sidewalk outside of campus. Denhalter refused to comply after a school official asked him to stop handing out fliers, and he was suspended for three days.

School officials also prohibited Denhalter on May 25 from wearing a T-shirt produced by “Save Our State,” a group against illegal immigration in California.

Denhalter said he filed the lawsuit both because he wanted to clear his record and bring attention to his school’s actions.

“I think the school district needs to change and realize that there are consequences for what they do,” Denhalter said. “And I think they need to be respectful of everybody’s rights, not just MEChA’s rights.”

A Jurupa Valley Unified School District official referred the SPLC to attorney Mike Marlatt, who did not return phone calls Monday and Tuesday. Elliott Duchon, superintendent for the district, also declined comment to both the Daily Bulletin and the Press-Enterprise, two local newspapers.

Denhalter’s lawsuit alleges that the school’s conduct was “oppressive,” as well as “politically motivated and partially fueled by a desire to avoid political controversy.” Richard Ackerman, Denhalter’s attorney, said the school’s actions have created one of the worst cases he’s seen involving a violation of students’ expression rights.

“It shows an absolute lack of commitment to free speech rights,” Ackerman said.

—by Whitney McFerron, SPLC staff writer

< Return to Previous Page
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“And I think they need to be respectful of everybody’s rights, not just MEChA’s rights.”
    Good for you kiddo!

Where is the ACLU? Aren't they going to jump right in and defend this kid?!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

CALIFORNIA — A student in Riverside, Calif., filed a lawsuit last week against his high school after school officials suspended him for advertising an off-campus protest and later stopped him from wearing an anti-immigration T-shirt.
    Smart move, Mom and Dad.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    Are you kidding, the ACLU. Jump on this. I don't think so, he is an American Kid.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by Scubayons
    Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    Are you kidding, the ACLU. Jump on this. I don't think so, he is an American Kid.
    I know.... it was a bit of sarcasm
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!