Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Talk shows pour fire on immigration debate

Talk shows pour fire on immigration debate
    (http://www.suntimes.com/news/cepeda/499 ... 07.article)

August 7, 2007

BY ESTHER J. CEPEDA Staff Reporter/ecepeda@suntimes.com
    Depending on what side of the debate you're on, conservative talk radio shows are either to thank or to blame for the collapse of the Senate's most recent attempt at immigration reform.

The backlash against the Rush Limbaughs, Laura Ingrahams and the Sean Hannitys of the broadcast world came just weeks before last Saturday's 20th anniversary of the FCC decision to abolish the Fairness Doctrine, which had required broadcasters to balance conservative and liberal views in their daily broadcasts.

Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) and other legislators maneuvered to bring the issue back to the fore, with little result, but they are vowing to keep fighting for changes. Meanwhile, Chicago broadcasters are digging in -- and speaking out about how they will use their air-time to shape the immigration debate in the months to come.

"I started out going after corrupt politicians, then the Minuteman Project and the immigration issue took on a life of its own," said Rick Biesada, a truck driver and director of the Chicago Minuteman Project who hosts a weekly one-hour show on Elmhurst-based WJJG-AM (1530). "Talk radio is a conservative medium. People listening are people like me -- people who drive a truck for a living listen to the news."

Hounding politicians
    Others working within earshot of a radio are listening in Spanish, and while the reach and influence of Spanish language radio has been credited with mobilizing the immigrant rights movement, its impact on the national debate has been minimal.
    "We need to find a way for this community to talk back," said Jorge Mujica, the leader of the March 10 Movement, which is credited with organizing thousands of people in various marches over the last year. He's a frequent Spanish language radio guest but says, "I don't feel comfortable calling [an English language talk radio show] if I know someone's going to mock me."

"It's a serious thing and I'm not up-to-date in the English media," he said. "It's like a separate reality."

Mujica pointed to the difference between the loosely connected Spanish language media and the high level of organization most conservative talk show hosts bring to the table. "They provide their listeners with names, phone numbers and e-mails to call politicians. Then it becomes a reality for the politicians," Mujica said.

Rather than relying on national radio shows to reach local people, Pilsen's RadioArte sends original bilingual programming to about 430,000 people in a 14-mile radius. "We are a response to some of the rhetoric both in conservative talk radio and some Spanish language shows," said general manager Silvia Rivera. "There is some responsibility that comes when you're talking about mobilizations and how issues are covered."

Effect on elections
    Her response to the ire and -- some say -- racism toward illegal immigrants is that it's just the newest hot topic. "It's immigration now, but before it was gay/lesbian rights and before that abortion," said Rivera. "It's sort of a David and Goliath battle."
    Responding to oft-hurled accusations of racism, conservative WLS morning host Jerry Agar, himself a Canadian immigrant, says people complaining about such shows just didn't like them to begin with. "In a debate, [critics] should be pointing out what is wrong with my position instead of talking about racism," said Agar. "If you've reduced yourself to just calling me a racist, then I've already won."

With the Senate bill behind them, conservative talk show hosts, unfazed by lingering talk about revival of the Fairness Doctrine, are turning their focus to supporting local anti-immigration ordinances and shaping the upcoming elections. "Next we want to vote the pro-open-border Republicans out of office," said Biesada.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This brings a little light to an ever persistant fight we have on our hands.

Thanks for the article.

Paige
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

The statement "Both Sides of The Debate" has bugged me for a long time since 80% of Citizens are against Illegal Immigration.

I wish they would stop using that statement since it is incorrect as Illegals and their defenders are law breakers and have NO right to debate what our government does.Using this term gives credibillity to their right to protest since it insinuates we maybe wrong wanting them removed.

It is brainwashing like using "Undocumented immigrants" to describe Illegal Alien Law Breakers,or telling us" Amnesty" is not Amnesty and now "Both Sides of The Debate".

I don't express myself very well but I hope you get the drift.......
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

You are correct USPatriot. This should not even be an issue. I remember the week I found out that Illegal Immigration was in fact Legal. I called and reported familes that had moved onto my street within just a few weeks of each other. I called the police (no help) I called Immigration (no help) I called ICE (No help) I called the Govenor (No Help) I called my City Officals (No Help) I called my Senators (No Help) I called my Congressman (No Help) I then went into a panic state and thought oh My God what has happened. I was sick to may stomach. I will never forget that week as long as I live. It has been a fight now for 2 years to get them out. It has not happened yet. It is legal to be here. It really is and it should not even come into question that they should all be immediately deported. This happend right after Bush was elected for his second term. They all flooded in and Utah became a sanctuary State.
    -- John Wayne</div>

Just keep talking about illegal immigration and border security. I was worried the politicans would intimidate talk radio, they are actually our only hope at being heard far and wide, besides the net and I think radio is more widely spread!
    \

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"ALIPAC SUMMER FUND RAISER"-----------
    PLEASE help ALIPAC stay in the fight against illegal immigration!!!!
    WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT ALIPAC???
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=75673
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    You are correct USPatriot. This should not even be an issue. I remember the week I found out that Illegal Immigration was in fact Legal. I called and reported familes that had moved onto my street within just a few weeks of each other. I called the police (no help) I called Immigration (no help) I called ICE (No help) I called the Govenor (No Help) I called my City Officals (No Help) I called my Senators (No Help) I called my Congressman (No Help) I then went into a panic state and thought oh My God what has happened. I was sick to may stomach. I will never forget that week as long as I live. It has been a fight now for 2 years to get them out. It has not happened yet. It is legal to be here. It really is and it should not even come into question that they should all be immediately deported. This happend right after Bush was elected for his second term. They all flooded in and Utah became a sanctuary State.
    I guess all we can do now is keep bugging as many officials as we can and to keep them from passing amnesty so we can vote them out in 2008 elections.

BTW I have been visiting some Dem boards to see what they think.More & more are agreeing Illegal immigration must be stopped and NO AMNESTY ! Made me smile
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member BorderLegionnaire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPatriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    I guess all we can do now is keep bugging as many officials as we can and to keep them from passing amnesty so we can vote them out in 2008 elections.

BTW I have been visiting some Dem boards to see what they think.More & more are agreeing Illegal immigration must be stopped and NO AMNESTY ! Made me smile
    I can understand why democrats are against illegal immigration! My family is hugely democratic and they are all for voting Hillary in, but against illegal immigration hand outs, the amnesty bills, and the NAU!! But they don't understand that these political leaders and candidates want to take all of America away from us! And that scolding the president is a good enough reason to vote for a democratic president in '08! And I had to fight back in defending the Republican candidates (Paul, Hunter and Tancerdo) that they want the best for the country and is not part of a globalist elitist group where they are the puppets to big business and the CFR and Tri-lateral committees!!!

I am the only Republican in my family to the least of my knowledge? And there are alot of heated debates at family functions! But I may have my dad coming over to ourside as he is sick and fedup with the illegals working in his shop (printing) and the bosses use of them! (HEHE I reported his bosses sister company for using them on the labeling side!)
    Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy.
    -Ron Paul

BorderLegionnaire

This is what I am telling my family. I am voting for the best man wins. It does not matter what political party it matters to me the person. In our nation it is hard to tell the difference between a Democrat and a Republican. Bush, Cheney, McCain, Spector to name a few are really Liberal Democrats. There is not such a thing as a Regular Democrat anymore they are Liberal.
    There is not such a thing as a conservative Republican anymore, they are Liberal Republicans, except for Trancredo, Paul, and Huckabee. Now that may change sometime soon but so far that is how it looks.

The Democrats used to stand for Unions, not anymore they like Illegals and to heck with the Unions. They have changed also. Dems are no longer for the middle class of america. They are spitting us out and so are Republicans. They like Mexico.

That is how you win the fight with your family. Just let them know that this election needs to put both parties back in there perspective spots. Right now neither one is worth going to blows over.
    -- John Wayne</div>