Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo has an obligation

denver post congressional endorsements

Tancredo has an obligation

6th District
    Article Last Updated:10/14/2006 11:59:48 AM MDT

Tom Tancredo wasn't the first to wave the flag on illegal immigration, but he's been among the most relentless. (That's good.) Unfortunately, he's also been among the most unyielding. (That's bad.)

By his willingness to sound the alarm, the Republican who holds Colorado's 6th Congressional District seat has become the face of the anti-illegal movement. Now it's time to achieve a solution, and Tancredo can play a leading role if he has the nerve to see it through.

We didn't support Tancredo's re-election bid in 2004, preferring challenger Joanna Conti who would have served without Tancredo's polarizing persona and single-item agenda.

But Tancredo has worked hard to advance an important issue that others would like to ignore, and we believe he can contribute to its resolution. Members of the House and Senate have hit a stalemate, but there are 12 million reasons they should forge an agreement.

We urge voters in the 6th to give Tancredo a chance to champion a comprehensive solution. We endorse his candidacy with trepidation. We know he'd have to swallow hard to make a compromise with the White House, but after Election Day it will be time to find common ground.

We provide this free advice to Rep. Tancredo: For every thing there is a season. A time to kick and scream. A time to be pragmatic. The issue has been joined. The public expects a resolution.

Tancredo's opponent, Democrat Bill Winter, is no stranger to public service and is a respectable alternative for voters who believe Tancredo is wrong on his issue and unlikely to help achieve a solution. Winter is a veteran of the Navy and Marines and offers a valuable voice on military matters. A former educator, he's ready to reform the unworkable No Child Left Behind law.

Winter also takes a sensible middle ground on immigration.

The Senate and President Bush have fashioned comprehensive immigration reform that includes border security, employer sanctions, a guest-worker program and an eventual path to citizenship. Tancredo says he doesn't oppose a guest worker program in theory but that border security must come first. A key area for compromise would resolve the impasse over the legal status of 12 million illegal immigrants already in this country. Tancredo has resisted any approach that could provide a path to citizenship for immigrants who fulfill various requirements. That's a cornerstone of the president's plan and the Senate's, and properly so.

We've come to respect Tancredo's effort to force the issue - he's a born provocateur. He'll need to show flexibility if he truly expects to solve the problem.

"I would love to see us pass something that really does something and get this behind us than to have a debate that becomes more rancorous," Tancredo told us recently.

It's entirely possible, and he has an obligation to get it done.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_4484539

I am probably going to get in trouble here, I have decided, if McCain and Clinton are the 2 choices for the 2008 election, I WILL NOT VOTE!, it is as simple as that, I refuse to again vote for the lesser evil, there is no such thing when comparing these 2 in a bid for the presidency. With the electronic voting machines there is no way to write in aother name, so I will just stay home. we have 2 short yrs to come up with a candidate who can beat out these 2. If Tancredo does not step out now and take a stand it will soon be to late, I am hoping he gets disgusted enough to take his stand.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

MW
    nittygritty wrote:

I am probably going to get in trouble here, I have decided, if McCain and Clinton are the 2 choices for the 2008 election, I WILL NOT VOTE!
    Are you just now making that decision, what took you so long? I will not vote on Sen. John McCain, and I most definitely won't vote on Sen. Hillary Clinton.

If Sen. McCain is my choice, this registered Republican will stay home in 2008! I won't appreciate being forced into such a position, but should we continue holding off the open border and amnesty crowd - I'll be damned if I'll contribute to passing an amnesty bill 2009!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am a registered Democrat, but I don't like Hillary. However, if the Republicans don't come out to vote, she will likely be the next president. I can't imagine anything more disasterous for this country (except maybe if Nancy Pelosi became president ). I know people don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils, but would they actually rather have the worst of the two choices be president for four years? Anyhow, I doubt whether McCain will get the Repubican nomination.

Banned
    Tancredo was on Tucker Carlson a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ivDoQ8AqQ

At the end of the interview Tucker tries to recruit Tancredo to run in '08.

He DIDN'T say NO!

noyoucannot, I cannot in good conscience vote for Senator McCain. Truthfully, I cannot see he would be any better then Hilary, I am sorry, I just can't. He has an anger problem,a pasive agressive problem, I am more afraid of him running this country then I am Hillary.Somthing happened to him in that POW camp, I am sorry he was there, I honor his military service, I just no longer trust him. He also works against Native American tribes, in his own state, he tried to steal the water rights from a tribe in AZ, now he is trying to get his dirty hands on Indian gaming and their ability to run their individual sovereing nations as they see fit. I will not vote for this man!

MW, what took me so long to come to this decision, is the fact, that I hold sacred our right to vote. It has always been an honor and a duty, I felt compelled to vote even if I didn't necessarily agree with the candidates it was my civic duty to make a choice and vote. I do not take this lightly, and I assure you, I know you don't either, it is a hard choice to come to isn't it MW? It almost makes me feel that I am being unamerican to abstain from voting for such an important thing as to who will be the President of our country. We have 2 yrs, they go fast now, won't be that long, to pray and work hard to ensure that we and the rest of America have a much better choice then these 2 "leaders to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by PinestrawGuys
    Tancredo was on Tucker Carlson a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ivDoQ8AqQ

At the end of the interview Tucker tries to recruit Tancredo to run in '08.

He DIDN'T say NO!
    Just maybe after the Nov elections Tancredo will jump on board. I hope so. I'd support him like I've never supported a candidate.
    As for McCain or Clinton, forget it, no way, never in a million years would I vote for either.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    I have to say that I may do the same in '08 if it's McCain or Hillary - what a sickening choice that would be.

I don't know if there's any significance to this but I recently e-mailed Tancredo via his web site. As of a couple months ago, I had not been able to e-mail him as I was not from CO. It occurred to me that maybe he is now interested in receiving national correspondence, and is contemplating running in '08.

I am glad you told us that Kate that is a great idea maybe all of Alipac should email him our wishes for him to run in 08.

Letters might have more of an impact. I'm making a note to do that.
    What do y'all think?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast