Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo Writes Obama to Ask Pardon for Ramos and Compean

CONGRESSMAN TOM TANCREDO
    TANCREDO.HOUSE.GOV
    Representing Colorado's Sixth District PRESS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Q. Houlton
    November 10, 2008 202.226.6997

Tancredo Asks President-elect Obama to Pardon Ramos and Compean

President Bush denies meeting request regarding their pardon

(WASHINGTON, D.C) – U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Littleton) today sent the following letter President-Elect Barack Obama asking him to pardon wrongfully imprisoned border patrol agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean within the first two weeks of his Presidency.

As an aside, Congressman Tancredo requested a meeting with President Bush regarding a pardon for the agents, but his request was denied.

A copy of the letter is below:

# # # #

November 10, 2008

The Honorable Barack Obama
    713 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510

President-elect Obama:

Congratulations on your electoral victory of last week; I hope that you do bring some needed changes to Washington. One such change that would bring hope to the men and women who protect America’s borders is granting a pardon to wrongly-imprisoned agents Ramos and Compean.

As you may know, on October 19, 2006, Border Patrol agents Ramos and Compean were sentenced to 11 and 12 years in federal prison, respectively, for wounding a Mexican drug smuggler who brought 743 pounds of marijuana across the U.S. border. The two agents were prosecuted by U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton and the illegal drug smuggler was granted immunity, provided free health care and given border crossing cards to testify against the agents. Both agents are currently serving out their sentences.

The Congress has even tried to intervene using its powers through the appropriations process. Last year, the House approved the annual Commerce, Justice, Science, and related agencies appropriations bill. The Poe Amendment prohibited funds in the bill from being used to enforce the judgment or sentences handed down by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas in the case of United States v. Ignacio Ramos, Et Al. decided March 8, 2006. The amendment was easily approved by a voice vote after an extensive discussion of the facts of the case.

In the meantime, Border Patrol agents Ramos and Compean are unnecessarily languishing in federal prison, despite the fact that the House expressed its will before the August recess last year to free the two men.

Mr. Obama, this case is important and involves real people charged with defending our borders against threats. Agents Ramos and Compean carried out that task when they prevented a high-volume habitual drug smuggler from transporting yet another load of illicit drugs from Mexico into the United States. These men were convicted under dubious circumstances, prosecuted by a U.S. Attorney’s whose motives and methods were so unconventional that the case became the subject of Congressional hearings earlier this year. The sentences delivered were unduly harsh, and serious questions have been raised as to whether or not the laws applied in the case by Mr. Sutton were consistent with the intent of Congress.

These are the kind of men whose government failed and destroyed them – all while they were serving a cause greater than themselves. These men deserve justice. I, and many other Members of Congress, have repeatedly called upon President Bush to exercise his power to pardon – but he has not done so. You will also soon have that chance. You will also soon have the opportunity to show the nation that you will preside over the kind of government that truly is compassionate, as opposed to the rhetoric that Mr. Bush never fulfilled.

I respectfully urge you to use your power as President to take the immediate, appropriate and long overdue step of freeing them in your first two weeks in office, and see to it that agents Ramos and Compean spend President’s Day at home with their families – instead of sitting in solitary confinement in a federal prison because they had the temerity to do their job.

Thank you in advance for your consideration, and I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Tom Tancredo, M.C.

http://www.americanpatrol.com/MISCNEWS/ ... C-TT_.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Way to go Congressman Tancredo! I wish I lived in his district. But if he runs for govenor I can support him.

what about stephanie Mohr

Who?

I may have just forgotten. Been kinda outta the loop for awhile, and am trying to get up to speed.

For what it's worth, Obama would score a few high points with me if he pardons them...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Let's hope Obama brings the "CHANGE" he's been promising by releasing these two agents and doing the job Bush should have done.

Lets Remember.
    their re-sentencing takes place later on this week.

Lets see how vicious the judge and Sutton's office go after these guys now

It sure would be a nice gesture on his part. Otherwise......what about his civilian forces if this is the pay-off for doing your job?

I cant wait to find out Obama's response. I sure hope he releases them!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

God Bless Tom Tancredo. It would also be nice if a letter like this would have been sent by Ted Poe, Brian Bilbray and the other members of the Immigration Reform Caucus. Strength in numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast