Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Taxpayers foot $61 million tab to study health of Hispanics

Study to track health of Hispanics
    Nearly $10 million will aid local research

November 1, 2006

The largest health study of Hispanics ever launched gets under way in Chicago and three other cities this month, supported by $61 million in government funding.

The 6 1/2-year project will track the prevalence of chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart failure and asthma and investigate factors that put Hispanics at risk.

The project also will examine how the health status of Hispanics changes over time as immigrants from Mexico, Puerto Rico and Central/South America acculturate to the U.S. and alter their lifestyles.

Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine and the University of Illinois at Chicago are getting a $9.6 million grant to study 4,000 Latino residents between the ages of 18 and 74. Participants will get a comprehensive medical exam each year and answer detailed questions about habits such as smoking, eating and exercise. Recruitment begins next year.

"The Hispanic population is the largest minority population in the United States, and it is expected to triple in growth by 2050," said Dr. Elias Zerhouni, director of the National Institutes of Health, the project funder.

"As this population continues to increase--and to experience varying rates of disease--it is vitally important to understand the risk factors and health behaviors that contribute to these diseases."

Aida Giachello, director of the UIC's Midwest Latino Health Research Center, called the Institutes of Health project historic because of its scope and because it recognizes the "growing concentration of Latinos not just on the coasts but in Chicago and the Midwest."

This is going to allow us to understand in much greater depth what issues Latinos face here and what policies are needed to protect and promote their health," she said.

Dr. Martha Daviglus, principal investigator and a professor of preventive medicine at Northwestern, said community advisers in Chicago would offer ongoing feedback to the project. Participants will get child care and transportation assistance and help from community health promoters, as needed. Also, monthly community forums about Hispanic health issues are planned.

About 1.5 million Hispanics live in Illinois, including 800,000 in Chicago. Nationally, almost 35 percent of Hispanics are uninsured, the highest rate of any ethnic group.

Researchers in New York City, Miami and San Diego are also participating in the project.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

The largest health study of Hispanics ever launched gets under way in Chicago and three other cities this month, supported by $61 million in government funding.
    Who authorizes this kind of stuff? Where does this country have $61 million freaking dollars to do this? I don't see the high priority and neccesity of it. How much further in debt is this country suppose to get authorizing such 'studies?' Would be different if we were rolling in the dough but we're not especially because of the war in Iraq.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm with you jean. What a waste of money. They need to study this for all Americans not a particular race of people. I feel descriminated against. I think I should be inuded in that study. What a bunch of crap.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They should use that money to provide additional support to the poor and elderly citizens of this country instead of using it for an unnecessary study.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    I'm with you jean. What a waste of money. They need to study this for all Americans not a particular race of people. I feel descriminated against. I think I should be inuded in that study. What a bunch of crap.

Dixie
    Say, maybe we should tell the ACLU? Would they sue on our behalf? I don't think so.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well one thing they did not have to study. Was the fertility of illegal aliens to produce babies.

Is it America's job to study Hispanic health?

61 million would go a long way to improve the lives of our elderly and poor. How many of them are unable to afford medicine or pay for their heating bills during the winter months?

Participants will get a comprehensive medical exam each year and answer detailed questions about habits such as smoking, eating and exercise.

Participants will get child care and transportation assistance and help from community health promoters, as needed. Also, monthly community forums about Hispanic health issues are planned.
    National Institute of Health grants-taxpayer dollars. This money should be used to help our elderly and ALL US citizens living in poverty.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)