Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Teachers tie immigration issues into lessons

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... t0409.html

Teachers tie immigration issues into lessons
    Recent debate offers chance for firsthand civics lessons

JJ Hensley
    The Arizona Republic
    Apr. 8, 2006 12:00 AM

Teachers are used to dealing with excited students at this time of year, but the enthusiasm this time has less to do with spring fever than it does with politics.

With that in mind, some teachers around the Valley have taken advantage of the sudden surge in interest in the political process, particularly when it comes to immigration, and have tweaked lesson plans to include discussions about the walkouts, protests and marches.

In Anna Neathery's fifth-grade class at Avalon Elementary School, a charter school in Apache Junction, pupil have talked at length about the immigration issue and related it to their unit on colonial America. Neathery said they discovered that immigration problems are not specific to this millennium.

"What they've learned is that if their ancestors hadn't come here by boat or walked here, they wouldn't be here," Neathery said. "It doesn't affect just the Hispanic children, it affects everybody involved. My kids have learned that immigration is not a new problem that we have, it's a longtime problem."

One of the problems now, said 11-year-old Preston Caldwell, is the life immigrants face once they arrive in this country.

"America is so full of people and there's not that many places to live," Preston said. "A lot of people that come don't have any place to live and might end up on the streets, which is bad for them."

Neathery has 30 students in her class, including five who are Hispanic and one Native American, along with mostly White faces. But Neathery said her pupils were sympathetic to the plight of immigrants, because they have learned that everyone is important.

"Everybody's a person, and everybody wants a better life," Preston said. "People should be allowed to try that, if they do it the right way."

For Neathery, the immigration protests turned into the right time to teach a valuable lesson.

"This is probably one of the best civics lessons I've ever had," she said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Shame she didn't spend some time talking about the LAWS. Or looking at various countries immigration laws compared to ours.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think that teachers should be punished severely for pressing their personal politics on kids just as much as I feel they should be punished for pressing their personal religious beliefs on kids. There ought to be a law against it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Students Learning Real Life

I am sorry that you believe that teachers should not be able to address the concerns of our children. It definitely is a hot topic for 5th graders to discuss, but when the news puts it out there society must realize that citizens across the country regardless of age will have some point of view on the subject matter. I, being the teacher of this article, felt that it was an amazing lesson in which students were able to provide their beliefs and state their position on the issue in a safe and non-judgmental environment. Teachers opinions are never a part of a lesson, but creating an environment that is conducive for safe learning and sharing is a part of every lesson.

I came upon this article when I decided to search myself via Google. Since Immigration is still a hot topic, I wonder what my 2005 students think now? Let's see they're in 10th grade and have been exposed to multiple teacher's, family, friends, and societies point of views. How have their views changed over the years?

"My kids have learned that immigration is not a new problem that we have, it's a longtime problem."

With all due respect, it is ILLEGAL immigration that is the problem. Thousands of people have died because of illegals who have had previous arrests and deportations and our laws not being enforced.

Millions of citizens are without jobs and it is a myth that illegals are only taking the jobs that citizens won't do.

Illegal immigration is a huge problem on so many levels.

You aways hear about the poor illegal who only wants a better life, yet those 'poor' illegals paid quite a bit of money for thier stolen identities and fake documents.

Citizens now have to speak a foreign language (spanish) for many jobs in order to get hired and provide for their families.

Many illegals are on welfare and have free health coverage while I have cancer and have none!

I could go on and on about their deciet as I have known illegals personally, but I will end here.

I hate when teachers try to argue for illegal immigration. Its legally wrong and economically suicidal.
    We recognize that if you really want to create a job tomorrow, you can remove an illegal alien today

Neathery has 30 students in her class, including five who are Hispanic and one Native American, along with mostly White faces. But Neathery said her pupils were sympathetic to the plight of immigrants, because they have learned that everyone is important.

"Everybody's a person, and everybody wants a better life," Preston said. "People should be allowed to try that, if they do it the right way."
    I agree with the last sentence "if they do it the right way".

Illegal aliens have not, did not and do not do it "the right way", and do not deserve my sympathy, just as a bank robber doesn't deserve my sympathy.

I applaud Neathery in allowing students to express their views without being harassed and demonized if their opinion is not pro-open borders.
    "

I am glad you joined this conversation Neathery.

Respectfully I too question why you would be raising the immigration question to pliable and vulnerable 5th graders. Of course they would be concerned about anyone being hurt without knowing the rest of the story.

It sounds as if this is your own personal question you want children who are not old enough nor mentally developed enough to answer it for you.

I hope you are not just thinking with your heart instead of your mind too. There are an est. 3 billion people who want to migrate to the USA so where do we draw the line ?

I personally am all for helping other countries develope so their citizens will not want or need to immigrate because if they do our country will become a 3rd. world country too.

Over population,low assimilation,not enough jobs or natural resources to support this massive immigration is an ongoing threat to our safety & stability.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I could be wrong--

I could be wrong-- but it sounds as though Ms Neathery is engendering sympathy for the illegal invasion in her 5th grade class. As noble as that may be, (I am sincere), it is no less a form of brain washing as any could be. It is a fine line between educating our children and inculcating ideas of open borders and sympathetic response to illegal acts.

Since Ms Neathery has found this site, she can easily rebut my beliefs about her effects on her children.

Today with global competition, America must shine in order to retain its position as the greatest country in which to live. Our students, of late, are not leaders as they once were , on the world stage. Many are pushed through ,, thanks to such intelligent (sarcasm intended) programs as (NCLB) ,No Child Left Behind. This has resulted in ACLB , All Children Lagging Behind.

With respect, Ms Neathery, your time would be better served in teaching our children the greatness of our country and the skills needed to compete in our ever changing world. Ironically, those skills still include the three "R"s.

Finally,
    ""America is so full of people and there's not that many places to live," Preston said. "A lot of people that come don't have any place to live and might end up on the streets, which is bad for them."

This is clearly an example of blind compassion. It is as I would expect from very young children. Would you then think it correct to get the numbers and costs from organizations such as Heritage, FAIRUS and others to show the students how Americans are faring at the expense of the people who "don't have any place to live...."?

Or would you prefer to just teach American children about ho tough it is to come here ILLEGALLY??

Obviously , obeying US laws in not in your curriculum.

Banned
    Welcome to ALIPAC Neathery
    The history of "IMMIGRATION" in America is a wonderful lesson and is the story of America and who we are.
    ILLEGAL and disrespectful "immigration" can be a lesson too.
    Does a fifth grader consider a person breaking into their mommy and daddies house, stealing their food, robbing them of their money, and having
    babies that their mommy and daddy pay for? When the ILLEGAL immigrant or their kids get sick their mommy takes them to the emergency room and pays their hospital bill? Does the fifth grader get the true facts?
    We all want a better life and illegal aliens cost all Americans and those immigrating LEGALLY ours.
    Are the fifth graders taught that ILLEGAL immigrants the moment they enter the U.S.A ILLEGALLY. They are not pursuing a better life in or for America.
    They are Disrespecting, robbing, and stealing the American Dream.
    Theres next weeks lesson plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast