Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tenn. lawmaker will introduce another controversial immigrat

Tenn. lawmaker will introduce another controversial immigration bill

WKRN.com
    January 4, 2011
    NASHVILLE, Tenn.

Immigration is poised to be the big issue this year for all state lawmakers.

One new immigration enforcement law went into effect on January 1st that requires local jails to ask for proof of documentation, and more illegal immigration enforcement legislation is soon expected to follow.

As early as sometime this week, Tennessee follows in Arizona's footsteps and propose its own version of the controversial immigration enforcement law that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally.

Senator Bill Ketron, who is sponsoring the bill, said, "There's about seven or eight more states lining up to do the same thing, so I think it's going to send a very clear message to the Federal Government."

The bill that would give police authority to ask people they stop for other reasons about their immigration status, if police have "reasonable suspicion" to believe they are in the country illegally.

The Federal Government filed a lawsuit to fight the Arizona law, and critics say the same thing may happen in Tennessee.

Immigration attorney Elliott Ozment told News 2, "I suspect that they will be challenged legally if they do attempt to pass it or if they pass it."

He's concerned with the responsibility it adds for local law enforcement, and believes a lack of training might lead to racial profiling.

"A passage of a law like the Arizona law does not diminish the prospects or racial profiling. It increases the prospects for that," he said.

Some business leaders and Nashville Mayor Karl Dean have spoken out against the bill, saying it's bad for economic development and sends the wrong message.

Sen. Ketron told News 2, "I appreciate Mayor Dean's opinion, but that is his opinion, and I have my own opinion. [The] majority of people want to see things done about illegal immigration enforcement in our state."

The senator said with no federal action, it now falls to the states to address illegal immigration.

The bill will be filed sometime this week or early next week.

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=13777453

Wow, it just gives me an uplift every time I read on how other states are starting to take action like Arizona did...

Go Tennessee! Do it!
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Quote Originally Posted by forest
    Wow, it just gives me an uplift every time I read on how other states are starting to take action like Arizona did...

Go Tennessee! Do it!

way to go Tennessee .
    now how about all the rest Of you . stand up & fight.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Moving to News.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As early as sometime this week, Tennessee follows in Arizona's footsteps and propose its own version of the controversial immigration enforcement law that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally.
    What the hell's so controversial about it! Leave it to the MSM to describe anything used to combat illegal invaders as controversial! The only ones opposing it would be illegal invaders and their advocates, who do not matter anyway!