Texas authorities believe illegal immigrant who allegedly killed a teenage girl also stalked her

Officers said that there may have been a connection between the murder and a burglary that happened at Medina's apartment in November.

By Charlotte Hazard
Published: December 30, 2023 1:02pm

Texas police believe that the illegal immigrant who allegedly killed 16-year-old Lizbeth Medina had previously stalked her.

Rafael Govea Romero, 23, has been charged with capital murder and placed on an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer after Medina, a cheerleader at Edna High School, was found dead in her bathtub, with "smeared blood on the sides of her and what appeared to be a stab wound to the upper stomach area," the affidavit obtained by Fox Newsreads.

"While processing the scene, it was discovered Lizbeth had multiple stab wounds, and her clothing was soaking wet, leading us to believe Lizbeth's homicide was a criminal homicide (murder) and that her body had been washed after the murder," the affidavit reads.

Officers said that there may have been a connection between the murder and a burglary that happened at Medina's apartment in November.

"I believe the burglary from 11/13/2023 could have a connection with the murder suspect," an Edna police officer wrote, according to Fox. "I believed the suspect of this murder was at large and a present danger to the community. I was especially concerned that the person believed to be the murder suspect was texting other high school students, leading me to believe the suspect was targeting students."

The officer also said there was “stalking-like behavior” displayed by the suspect.

Lizbeth's mother Jacqueline Medina told the outlet that she wants to make sure this never happens again to another child.

"More than anything, I want something good to come out of this tragedy. I want to find a way that we can make better laws because, as you know, this person shouldn't have even been here," Jacqueline said. "If protocols were followed, he probably shouldn't have even been in the country. So, I definitely want something good to come out of this in my daughter's name. No matter how long it takes."

https://justthenews.com/nation/crime...nage-girl-also