Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas Guard serves up free health care

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/ ... 3203d.html

Texas Guard serves up free health care

Web Posted: 07/30/2006 01:27 AM CDT

Jesse Bogan
    Rio Grande Valley Bureau

BROWNSVILLE — The baby, held in the lap of her young mother, who also cried, screamed as if the free injections were bees stinging her tiny arms and legs.
    Nurses dressed in camouflage tried to calm little Naidelyn with hands covered in blue medical gloves and with words the girl didn't understand — nor needed to.

"This one is going to hurt," said Capt. Alec Ross, 46, of Galveston, a member of the Texas Medical Rangers, a voluntary arm of the Texas State Guard, before administering the biggest of the seven shots.

Naidelyn, 1 year and a few months old, was one of some 8,000 patients from the Rio Grande Valley expected to get free health care at a two-week-long annual group of clinics called Operation Lone Star. The tot kept wailing, but she briefly let up when Texas Army National Guard Staff Sgt. Stacey Stallard, 30, a biology student at the University of the Incarnate Word, gave her a sticker.

"We are not mean, we just look it," Stallard liked to tell the patients, many of whom waited a few hours to get free dental and medical screenings, anything from physicals for young athletes to blood tests for diabetes.

Treatment ranged from tooth fillings — no cleanings — to that for Margarita Guevara, 31, a homemaker from Brownsville, who held an ice pack to her mouth. It took more than an hour to dig out the remains of her three crumbled wisdom teeth.

"I was going to look for a doctor, but it would have been very expensive," she said.

But she was warned: "If she doesn't take care of her teeth, she won't have much left in 10 years," said Texas Army National Guard Sgt. Jose Rodriguez, 33, of San Antonio, who managed the dental crew at the clinic, set up in a school.

Most of the patients were women and children, living without health insurance in a region plagued by having some of the lowest median household incomes in the country. Officials don't ask about the participants' immigration status.

"I don't have health insurance just because I wouldn't be able to pay the rest of my bills," said Carlos Charles, 21, of Arroyo City, one of the few men, as he stood at the end of the line with his wife and baby.

Each year, county and military personnel from around the state put on the free clinics for training purposes in Starr, Hidalgo and Cameron counties. It's medically driven, but tends to challenge people to try to communicate in a foreign language.

"Excuse me, ma'am. ... Ma'am? Ma'am?" asked Texas Army National Guard Staff Sgt. Corey Harvey, 37, of Killeen, directing foot traffic, finally getting the woman's attention with a poorly pronounced, but friendly, "Hola."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jbogan@express-news.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/ ... 3203d.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ya....there's lots of American citizens, young and old who don't have insurance, can't afford insurance or the medical fees as well. Where's our free help?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Excuse me, ma'am. ... Ma'am? Ma'am?" asked Texas Army National Guard Staff Sgt. Corey Harvey, 37, of Killeen, directing foot traffic, finally getting the woman's attention with a poorly pronounced, but friendly, "Hola."
    Better get cracking on learning the invader's language, Sarge, or you'll be facing a hate crime tribunal in the near future.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I believe I'm as humane as the next person, but why wouldn't they as a person's immigration status?

You can still treat them, and then SEND THEM HOME!!!!