Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thompson Says Enforce Immigration Law

(quote)

Thompson Says Enforce Immigration Law

By AMY LORENTZEN – 4 hours ago

CARROLL, Iowa (AP) — Republican Fred Thompson said Thursday there should be few if any exceptions when it comes to enforcing U.S. immigration laws, or the flow of illegal immigrants would continue.

Thompson was responding to a question from a man who told of a friend who is a chicken farmer and has to hire workers from Mexico, hoping they have legal status.

While the U.S. president represents that chicken farmer, Thompson said, he also represents millions of other people and future generations who want the nation's laws enforced.

"It is not good, in my opinion, for our country to start becoming dependent on a constant flow of illegal immigrants that are usually less educated and come here only because they'll work cheaper than somebody else will," he said. "And when and if they were to assimilate into American society, we would need another 11 or 12 million (illegal immigrants), and another 11 or 12 million after that."

Thompson said the legal immigration system in the U.S. has inefficiencies and people get caught up in the bureaucracy. But he said the rule of law must be the top priority.

"We have to look out No. 1 for what is right, what is the law. If you're coming and saying 'It's against the law, but,' I think you've got to have a very good reason, and I very seldom see a reason that justifies the 'but' if it's against the law."

Thompson said the U.S. is capable of making changes to immigration laws that allow employers to meet their work force demands.

"We can address, I think, our needs ... without succumbing to the notion that we have to have a constant flow of illegal immigrants," he said.

When the same man pressed Thompson further to talk about his plan for illegal immigrants already in the country, the former Tennessee senator said he believes the issue will be resolved through "enforcement by attrition."

Thompson proposes cutting off incentives to illegal immigrants. That means keeping employers from hiring them in the first place, and sealing the borders to keep illegal immigrants going back and forth between jobs and family. He said it also means shutting down sanctuary cities and keeping illegal immigrants from getting college and other breaks.

"Over a period of time, I think the situation will reverse itself," he said.

After the event, Thompson was asked by reporters what should happen to children who are born to illegal immigrants in the U.S. — making the children citizens — if their parents are deported.

"The parents make that decision, just as parents would under any circumstances," he said. "If they are going to be leaving the country, I would expect them to make the decision to take their child with them. But, if they make other arrangements with a loved one or someone who is here for that child, then they could do that, too."

When asked if the policy allowing those children to have U.S. citizenship should be altered, he said that would require a difficult change to the Constitution.

"That's not really as much of a current issue in terms of our illegal immigration problem as chain migration is," he said. "These children can be used as so-called anchor babies and they can grow up and bring in many, many other members of their family. I think that ought to be limited ... to spouses and children. I think that's where our concentration needs to be focusing."

(quote)

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jJQl ... wD8TLBH7G0
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What I am often wondering is Thompson comes across as a complete anti amnesty guy, but isn't he in the Council of Foreign Relations which is the group planning and developing the NAU?

"Over a period of time, I think the situation will reverse itself," he said.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It all sounds like a good plan, but where is he? Fred Thompson treats this campaign like he could take it or leave it.

Besides, he is a CFR member.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It sounds perfect - but

Where has he been all along? What did he do when he was in WAshington?