Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Time running short for immigration deal

Time running short for immigration deal

Associated Press - May 17, 2007 6:55 AM ET

Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy says today is "D-Day" in talks toward an elusive deal on border security and the fates of illegal immigrants.

A bipartisan group of senators is scrambling with White House officials to reach a deal on fortifying the border and granting quick legal status to millions of illegal immigrants.

Republicans and Democrats are working to hammer out details of the emerging compromise and settle the stubborn dispute. The talks center on how much family ties and other criteria should count toward green cards. The scheme prioritizes advanced skills and education levels for future immigrants.

Kennedy says it's likely the last chance for a compromise before senators scatter for a 3-day weekend.

If no deal emerges, Senate Democrats were to vote Monday evening to bring up an immigration measure that passed last year over Republican objections. Senate Republicans have vowed to block the bill in a highly partisan start to the immigration debate, which divides the two parties and exposes cracks within their ranks.

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=6529057

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan
    Isn't the toll free number still available too? I just called again and it is still in English. It came up with my two senators.

1-800-417-7666
    I just called the number it worked. After a wait I reached the office of Senator Kennedy. I said to the Senator's aide that my maternal grandparents were naturalized citizen in the United States Virgin Islands.

In 1917 the Americans acquired the islamds ten years later the residents were offered the opportunity to become citizens. My grandparents were proud to accept. By 1917 my grandfather had become a local policeman under the Danes. By the time he was naturalized he was the head of the police. He was asked to become US Immigration Inspector as well, he accepted. As Immigration Inspector he was faithful to the law.

There are people on the wrong side who complain that there are Mexican Americans working for ICE. "How can they enforce the law against people from their own ethnic group." Most of the immigration violators on St. Thomas were from the British Virgin Islands. Both of these places had around ten thousand inhabitants. Also my grandmother was a recent immigrant when my grandfather was born.

My grandfather was enforcing not only against other people from his mother's country he was enforcing against people who were from the same British island. Not only that, he dutifully enforced the law against members of the same family. My grandfather had accepted his oath. If you had been issued the right papers by INS you could live in the US Virgin Islands if you did not have them you could not even if you had the same family.

In my eyes I said Senator Ted Kennedy is a traitor.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Keep all of their phones rining off the hooks!
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

1-800-417-7666

JP, this number WORRIES me. I called it and it sounds as though the purpose of this number is to get the senators to PASS comprehensive immigration reform. It gave me two senators.....but I think that calls simply coming in on this number might be benefiting the opposition.

If anyone really knows, maybe we should get this number out of here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    1-800-417-7666

JP, this number WORRIES me. I called it and it sounds as though the purpose of this number is to get the senators to PASS comprehensive immigration reform. It gave me two senators.....but I think that calls simply coming in on this number might be benefiting the opposition.

If anyone really knows, maybe we should get this number out of here.
    What do you mean, is someone stating something when you call?

Yes, call it. The message indicates that the purpose of that number is to force our senators to PASS the bill and that we will not stand not having an immigration bill passed! Call it and listen to it. That would be in direct opposition to our goal.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How did we even get that number anyway?? Does anyone know??

THIS number is toll-free to reach the senators and it is a public number not connected to any group or organization.

Toll Free Congressional Switchboard Number
    800-862-5530

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    How did we even get that number anyway?? Does anyone know??

THIS number is toll-free to reach the senators and it is a public number not connected to any group or organization.

Toll Free Congressional Switchboard Number
    800-862-5530
    It appears it is a number (1-800-417-7666 ) that is being pushed by the OBL's . MALDEF and the Like. A google search revelaed it.

Call only the US Toll Free Congressional Switchboard Number 800-862-5530
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I called it a minute ago and after I received instructions to as for comprehensive immigration reform, it appeared to forward me to what sounded like my Senator's office.

If nothing else, call it and jam thier system.

Dixie

Dixie, JP just said don't use that line. It's POSSIBLE that they are calculating the number of calls just coming in on that line which appears to have possibly been set up by our opposition.

I wouldn't waste time calling it and jamming it. I think we should go with JP's strong instructions above and stick with the public line and know that our calls are being productive.

800-862-5530
    U.S. Toll-free Congressional Switchboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast