Congressman Vows Obamacare Won't Cover Illegals at Emotional Town Hall Meeting in Kimball

By Reneé LaSalle
Created Aug 24 2009 - 5:42pm

Comments 3

Those high emotion town hall meetings came to the Tennessee Valley Monday.

Congressman Lincoln Davis met with constituents in Kimball and the topic was healthcare...

The crowd cheered as a former social worker and insurance adjuster named Betty from Sequatchie county said, "My question to you Congressman Davis...is will you kill this bill and scrap it and start all over and listen to us, rather than your party, the unions, or any of these other fringe groups? You need to listen to the people who pay your salary."

Betty was one of hundreds of tax payers crowded into the Kimball Town Hall for a meeting with their congressman.

An unnamed man said, "Most of us are from the little towns, hamlets, and farms in the area. We're not rabble rousers, this is unusual for us."

Like many recent town hall meetings across America emotions were high.

A concerned woman said, "Why don't the congress and all of the house, if we're gonna have to go on that insurance let them have it too?"

But support over so called "Obamacare" was split.

Evelyn Lawson of Marion County is uninsured, her husband is in end stage renal failure, "This is supposed to be the richest nation in the world, but they can't take care of their elderly people. Something's wrong somewhere. And I'm a Republican almost Democrat. I say give Obama a chance."

The presidential proposal for health care reform and universal health care has many running scared.

Few disagree with the need for reform, but everyone disagrees with how to achieve it.

Betty said, "Healthcare is not a power of the federal government under our constitution. Your job is to ensure our freedom not take it away."

In the end cheers erupted at this town hall meeting as Congressman Lincoln Davis said without serious changes, the bill would not get his support, "As the way this bill stands today, I will not vote for it."

Davis said he would not support a bill blocking access to private insurance or providing coverage for illegal immigrants.

http://wdef.com