English-only has its Latino supporters, too

By Chris Echegaray • THE TENNESSEAN • December 27, 2008

Eddie Garcia's mother rushed him to a New England hospital when he was 3. An Italian immigrant, she spoke no English, and his Cuban-Chilean father didn't either.

The lack of communication was traumatizing — until a hospital worker stepped forward to translate. When the family left, Garcia's mother made a vow.

"She said that would never happen to us again," Garcia said. "We started to learn English right after that. … No one should depend on a translator. You have to look out for your own interests."

Early voting on Metro Nashville's English-only charter amendment begins Friday, with the election Jan. 22. As the dates approach, several Spanish speakers favoring the measure are surfacing, highlighting different views in a diverse, burgeoning Latino community.

The trend also underscores two points many on both sides of the debate have overlooked: The Latino community isn't a monolith, and its members debate assimilation versus tradition.

If passed, the measure would require all Metro government business to be done in English, with the council given power to grant exceptions.

Opponents insist it threatens Nashville's status as a progressive city and penalizes not only the illegal immigrants who some wish to discourage from moving here, but also refugees resettled here by the government.

No matter where they come from, immigrants in Nashville will assimilate as they have for generations, said Vanderbilt University history professor Edward Wright-Rios, who specializes in cultural history and Latin America.

"I'm sure some people, especially the exceptionally socially skilled, make the transition here more quickly," he said. "But there are some people who fight assimilation. The adjustment is difficult. My guess is that the ones who are supporting (English-only) often are the entrepreneurial immigrants frustrated with their compatriotaswho seem to be lagging."

Fourteen percent of people in Davidson County speak a language other than English at home, according to 2007 Census figures, and 10 percent of the county's population is foreign born. Neither side has numbers on how foreign-language speakers are likely to vote.

More against than for

Anecdotal evidence shows more Latinos weigh in against the measure than support it. Several Pew Hispanic national surveys have shown that Hispanics find a lack of English skills is a leading cause of discrimination, so they learn English.

New immigrants are likely to oppose the measure, but they're least likely to have voting rights — they'll be forced to rely on the more established Latino community and the opposition group Nashville for All of Us. That organization's primary argument against the proposal is that it will hurt business, said member Tom Negri, general manager of the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel.

"I would defy you to find 5 percent of Hispanics in favor of this," Negri said. "This is a disheartening ordinance for major firms who may want to move in with diverse employees. Now is not the time to build an imaginary fence."

The argument over English-only has found itself framed around Latinos and illegal immigration when it also would impact resettled refugees, including the largest Kurdish community in the nation and pockets of Sudanese, Somalis, Egyptians and others.

Many were invited by the U.S. government to build new lives here, said Kovan Murat, a Kurdish community activist. Murat settled in Nashville with his family in 1992 after fleeing Saddam Hussein's regime.

"It takes time for immigrants to assimilate, and they do it," Murat said. "In the meantime, there should be translators to help in the beginning with the process. These people are not illegal immigrants. They are legally here and become naturalized citizens."

Crafton not surprised

Garcia, the Cuban-born musician whose hospital incident marked how he felt about English-only, and other Hispanics support Metro Councilman Eric Crafton's proposal from the perspective that immersion is the best way to assimilate.

Garcia, raised in Methuen, Mass., moved here from Florida nearly two years ago.

"I came to this country for a better life, and I owe this country for the person I am today," Garcia said. "What I am saying is, learn how to defend your rights by learning the language, and don't resort to a translator. We don't have to forget our culture or our native tongue. My daughter speaks four languages."

Jaime Garzon came to the U.S. from Colombia with his mother and sister when he was 12. His mother spoke English, but he didn't. They settled in Mississippi before moving to Tullahoma and Nashville. Garzon also preaches learning English.

"Submerge yourself and it will not take much time," he said. "When I was younger, I went to Arizona and quickly moved up at work because I was fluent in English when others only knew a few words. My issue is with the people that don't even try to learn."

It's no surprise to Crafton, the primary proponent for the English-only measure, that some Latinos support him — he said national polls indicate Spanish-speakers support English as the official language.

"What I've been saying 100 times is that this charter leaves us with the ability to control what services we provide and don't want to provide," he added. "Our job is really easy to convince people that a community is more united, more efficient under one common language."

Contact Chris Echegaray at 615-664-2144 or cechegaray@tennessean.com.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 8812270348