Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Top Arizona business leaders teaming up to fight sanctions l

Top Arizona business leaders teaming up to fight sanctions law
    Associated Press
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 07.13.2007

PHOENIX - A coalition that includes some of Arizona's top business leaders is gearing up for a legal challenge to a new law punishing employers for hiring undocumented workers.

The group, Wake Up Arizona!, also plans to target state lawmakers who played a major role in pushing the new law, including House Speaker Jim Weiers, R-Phoenix, and Rep. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa.

The coalition includes well-known names such as Phoenix-area McDonald's franchiser Mac Magruder, Tucson car dealer Jim Click, former Phoenix Suns Chief Executive Jerry Colangelo and Meritage Homes Chief Executive Steve Hilton.

Magruder said the action is warranted to counter the new law, which can cost businesses their licenses, and a possible citizens initiative called the Legal Arizona Workers Act that imposes even tougher rules on employers.

Voters who appear to be highly supportive of a state crackdown on illegal immigrants will be a hard sell for the business leaders, said Don Goldwater, a former gubernatorial candidate leading the Legal Arizona Workers Act.

"The voter, I think, knows exactly what's going on with businesses who are trying scare tactics," Goldwater said.

The new law and proposed initiative have the potential to cost legitimate Americans their jobs because businesses will be afraid of losing their licenses, Magruder said. Some employers might just leave Arizona or opt not to come to the state.
    "I don't believe the people of Arizona have any idea of the unintended consequences of the law our governor just signed," said Magruder, who owns seven McDonald's restaurants and is leading the effort. "Everyone in Arizona is affected by this law."

Business leaders who are joining Magruder's efforts say they're bearing the burden of the federal government's immigration failure. They say they're worried about unfounded complaints against companies that hire Latinos and increased identity theft among job applicants who need a valid Social Security number to pass muster using a new federal database check that all employers will be required to use.
    They worry most, though, about the loss of their license to do business. The new law calls for a suspension on a first offense for "knowingly" or "intentionally" hiring an illegal worker and revocation for a second offense. With the ballot initiative, revocation would come on a first offense.
    "I've got my whole life invested in this business," said Click, among the state's biggest donors to Republican candidates and causes. "What if my service manager turns his head, or fakes it (when hiring a worker)? I lose my license? Is that fair? I don't think so."

Goldwater noted that both his initiative and the state law give employers a defense if they use the federal database.

The database "protects businesses," he said, noting that sanctions against employers figure to hurt only those breaking the law.

As for talk of a campaign to oppose the initiative and weaken the new state law, Goldwater offered a challenge: "I hope they raise a lot of money. I hope they spend a lot of money. I hope they lick their wounds at the end of the day."

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/related/191632.php
    Many comments posted following article.

Are we ever going to wake up the fact that

BUSINESS IS THE PROBLEM.

We, the people, are going to have to realize that very soon or it will be too late.

They have a lot of money because we continue to give them our money.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    The new law and proposed initiative have the potential to cost legitimate Americans their jobs because businesses will be afraid of losing their licenses, Magruder said.
    Sounds like Magruder is sweating the hiring of illegal for his McDonalds franchise.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am to the point that I would be happy for all of the treasonous big business' to take their business elsewhere. Move your businesses to the country's that will allow you to pay their citizens slave wages and . . . oh wait but then they won't have any consumers . . . ..
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Great.. I hope the people stop going to his McDonalds.... A little slap down is needed here...

Wait, If they "can't hire" without illegals, they must hire illegals... Put him in Jail... 3 hots and a cot....

This isn't a surprise is it?

Yes, business is much of the problem. It's all about the money.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn