Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Town picks official language

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Town picks official language
    Hispanics are wary of Hampshire law

By Ray Quintanilla
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published April 21, 2007
    The tiny village of Hampshire has declared English its official language, prompting concerns from Hispanic groups.

"We don't want our tax dollars to be used to hire someone to translate," said Jeff Magnussen, village president of the Kane County community. Approved unanimously Thursday by the Village Board, the ordinance covers only local government correspondence, what is spoken during board meetings, and the village's Web site.

E-mail this story

Printable format

Search archives

RSS

The measure, Magnussen said, is largely symbolic because it's filled with exceptions. These include providing information in Spanish and other languages in case of a health crisis, for public safety or to comply with federal or state laws, he said.

Although other communities in the state have discussed such ordinances, few, if any, have actually approved one, said Virginia Martinez, a staff attorney for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. A similar measure has been discussed by several board members in Carpentersville.

Martinez said the move in Hampshire was prompted by a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment across the nation. "It's pretty clear this is about making life more difficult for one particular immigrant group," she said.

Magnussen said Hampshire has about 4,400 residents; only about 70 are Hispanic, according to the 2005 U.S. Census.

So far, 29 states, including Illinois, have adopted English as their official language, said Rob Toonkel, a spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based U.S. English, Inc., which promotes the language. Similar measures are pending in 13 other states.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights called the Hampshire action misguided. What is needed, officials said, are more opportunities for immigrants to enroll in classes where English is taught.

"There is this misconception out there that Hispanics don't want to learn English," said group spokeswoman Catherine Salgado. "They do, there are just not enough places for them to get access to a class."

Martinez called the ordinance bad policy, especially if it limits the village's ability to communicate with segments of its community.

"What if there is a Spanish speaker who wants to report some public emergency and there's no one on the other end who can understand them," she said. "How does that help the community?"

----------

rquintanilla@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

http://link.toolbot.com/chicagotribune.com/75257
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"They do, there are just not enough places for them to get access to a class."
    There are more ways to learn another language besides going to class. Try using the local library. You'd be amazed at how much stuff they have on learning another language. If they don't have it they will get it. Best of all it's free! Listen to TV or the radio in English, read a book in English for an hour or two a day. It's amazing how much you will pick up. Pay attention to other people speaking English to reinforce the words you know and to learn new ones. Best of all this is free too! Get on the internet and check out websites that teach english. Translate things using Babel Fish to learn new words. There are all sorts of ways to learn another language without going to a class.

I can say this from personal experience. I've learned a lot of spanish and am always learning more. I've never taken a spanish class but I'm forced to hear it, see it and once in a while say a few words in it because of the invasion. I pick up new words every day without trying too hard.

Let's rephrase this question:
    What if there is a Spanish speaker who wants to report some public emergency and there's no one on the other end who can understand them," she said. "How does that help the community?"
    What if there is a French, German, Swahili or (insert any language here)who wants to report some public emergency and there's no one on the other end who can understand them," she said. "How does that help the community?" Is there a reason only spanish speakers need a translator? Could it be they are too lazy to learn English or maybe they just refuse to do so? Why should we only cater to spanish speakers?

Good for Hampshire!!!!! However,if Virginia Martinez had her way the whole town would be forced to speak Spanish.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Yes Yes!! I live just under 2 hours from Hampshire and am happy for them!! Hopefully the tide will continue Northeast and make my town only English-speaking also. Congrats to Hampshire!!
    Bless my friends and family, and God Bless America!

The tiny village of Hampshire has declared English its official language, prompting concerns from Hispanic groups.
    How can Hispanics possibly be concerned about declaring English the National Language?
    Martinez is wrong! This isn't about anti-sentiment among immigrants. And no one is trying to make it hard for immigrants to learn the language. If immigrants are legal, and wish to become citizens, they must assimilate just like every other country in the world has done. There is nothing wrong in wanting to keep a common language in order to communicate.

Banned
    I dont under stand why any one would ever question the English language
    as AMERICAS official language

Its like saying The mexican flag is Goung to be the new Flag of the untied States

ITs NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

NEVER, EVER, NEVER,

!

I don't want our tax dollars to be used to hire someone to translate, If the illegals would just be sent back there would be no problem about this, no problem to solve
    Send them home case closed

April
    Way to go Hampshire!!!

"What if there is a Spanish speaker who wants to report some public emergency and there's no one on the other end who can understand them,"
    They'd better lean English pretty fast then!!

Three cheers for hampshire, smart move!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)