Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Transcript: Democrats' Weekly Radio Response

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263030,00.html

Transcript: Democrats' Weekly Radio Response

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Good morning. I am Congressman Luis Gutierrez of Chicago.

This morning, I want to talk to you about an issue that I have worked hard on for the last 15 years: comprehensive immigration reform.

Last week, Representative Jeff Flake of Arizona and I presented an immigration reform bill in the House of Representatives, H.R. 1645, also known as the STRIVE ACT, by its initials in English.

It addresses the needs of our economy, the needs of our immigrant community, and the needs of those in charge of our homeland security.

Our current immigration system is not working. It is hampering businesses that need immigrant labor to grow. It is hurting families who are looking to provide for their loved ones. And it is harming communities that need new immigrants to remain vibrant and strong.

That is why the comprehensive immigration reform bill we introduced is all about security: national security; family security; and economic security.

Our bill — the STRIVE ACT — is about ending illegal immigration.

H.R. 1645 creates a system that allows people to come out of the shadows and work here legally and safely.

It regulates future flows of workers. And it greatly enhances our border security through a combination of improved cooperation, cutting-edge technology, and increased resources.

And rather than converting innocent workers in targets of the immigration police or raids, or wasting billions of dollars on failed strategies, H.R. 1645 offers real solutions to the challenges our community faces.

Our bill deals directly with the undocumented who are living, working and contributing to a better, more dynamic America.

It creates a system in which families can stay together and be strong.

It creates a system that would eliminate the exploitation and discrimination that immigrants suffer.

But, it also creates a system that is fair and just and reflects the enormous contributions immigrants make every day.

Today more than ever, immigration reform strikes at the very heart of what kind of nation we are — and what we strive to be.

H.R. 1645 ensures that our nation continues to welcome those who seek a better life. It ensures that those who embody the entrepreneurial spirit, the drive, and the work ethic that has made America great can continue to strengthen the fabric of our American life.

Our challenge: to work together to be successful in getting H.R. 1645 passed.

If you agree, please contact your Representative in Congress.

I am Congressman Luis Gutierrez of Chicago. Thank you for listening.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He can take that bill and put it where the sun dont shine, Call you Reps and tell them vote no on this bill, or you will vote no on them next election.

How things in "la-la" land, Mr. Gut???

April
    But, it also creates a system that is fair and just and reflects the enormous contributions immigrants make every day.
    Yes, like more crime, murders and traffic accidents....we could do without contributions like these!!!!!

I am surprised he didn't have Flake with him.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Everything for the Mexicans and nothing for the Americans that is what this bill is about, if it was up to him he would kick us all out of here and give our country to his people,

Well congressman it is not going to happen, you have wasted alot of your time and alot of taxpayer money on you as you are worthless to the United States of America. Maybe you should move to Mexico and try to help your people out there and take LARAZA with you, oh and you can have the ACLU and the Chamber of Commerce as well!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

how did this man get elected? It makes me sick the way that politicans have sold americans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    how did this man get elected? It makes me sick the way that politicans have sold americans out.
    I'm telling you, I really don't think we can trust Latino's and other politicians, that are only going to work for their own race and not all of America!

I know I don't!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

im betting this district its mande up mostly of hispanic people
    legal and illegal

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    im betting this district its mande up mostly of hispanic people
    legal and illegal
    Map of Luis Gutierrez's district:
    http://link.toolbot.com/nationalatlas.gov/71970

The Fourth Congressional District of Illinois is a congressional district in the state of Illinois that includes part of Cook County. This district covers two strips running east-west across the city of Chicago, Illinois on the west side continuing into smaller portion of some suburban areas in Cook County, surrounding Illinois' 7th congressional district.

The fourth Congressional District is one of the most strangely drawn and gerrymandered in the country. It was created to contain two majority Hispanic parts of Chicago. The northern portion is largely Puerto Rican, while the southern portion is heavily Mexican. The two sections are on opposite sides of the city and are only connected by a piece of Interstate 294; the highway is in the district while the surrounding areas are not. It is the smallest congressional district in area outside of New York City and San Francisco.

source:

"Illinois's 4th congressional district."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois's ... l_district

Quotes from David K. Fremon's 1991 article "How first Hispanic congressional district remaps Chicago politics":

...And the two major Hispanic areas in Chicago — the near southwest side's Mexican Pilsen, Little Village and Back of the Yards and the near northwest side's mainly Puerto Rican West Town, Humboldt Park and Logan Square — are separated by the virtually all-black west side...

With a new Hispanic district universally agreed to, one problem remained. Since congressional districts must be contiguous, the near northwest and near southwest side communities had to be connected. This posed two problems. First was the demographic one. The "connector" had to be narrow enough so as not to dilute the district's overall Hispanic population. Second was the political one. Veteran 7th District Democratic U.S. Rep. Cardiss Collins wanted to protect her turf, which includes both downtown (where she lives) and the west side. Thus the connector became an issue that threatened to split the black and Hispanic communities...

Democrats and Republicans finally agreed in October on the placement of the Hispanic district, a month before they came to terms on the rest of the map. The Hispanic district resembled none of the previous endeavors. Numbered the 4th by Republicans, it contains Chicago's two main Hispanic population centers, connected by a barely visible swath that meanders through often uninhabited territory as far west as I-294, allowing deer and raccoons in several forest preserve areas to have Spanish-speaking representation...

Who will represent the hundreds of thousands of Hispanics in this new district? Two of the most visible presences in the Hispanic community, state Sen. del Valle and 22nd Ward Alderman Jesus Garcia, took themselves out of the running early. Del Valle vowed to seek reelection, while Garcia in October announced his candidacy to a new Hispanic majority state Senate seat that will open up on the near southwest side.

Del Valle's and Garcia's absence doesn't eliminate the possibility of a crowded field for what could be the chance of a lifetime for Chicago's Hispanic pols. Among the likely possibilities:

Luis Gutierrez, alderman of the near northwest side 26th Ward. No Hispanic politician has more openly craved this job than Gutierrez, who won his present office during a fiery election campaign in 1986. Gutierrez' 1989 switch from independent to backer of Richard M. Daley for mayor assured the favor of Chicago's most powerful politician. Possible support by Daley marks Gutierrez' main advantage over other candidates in the congressional race.

But will Daley come out for Gutierrez or, for that matter, any other candidate? If not, Gutierrez may face trouble. Never a favorite of old-line Democrat white committeemen, he may not be able to bank on their support. Independents, still irritated by his shift to Daley, are not certain followers in the Gutierrez camp. It also remains to be seen whether the district's Mexican voters will back Puerto Rican Gutierrez if a Mexican candidate emerges. Mexicans make up a majority of the district's Hispanic population, although Puerto Ricans outnumber them as voters.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/1991/ii911222.html