Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Travelling to Mexico Dangerous

More Canadian tourists had to deal with Mexican criminals. Their emergency services were almost non existent. For police to take an hour to show up to a shooting is unhear of in the United States or Canada. Those are top priority calls here. Same goes for the half hour it took for the ambulance. I can only guees that they wanted the people to die so they can't talk.
    I would like to send those type of articles to the Mexican who tried to say that the illegals learn this stuff when they come here.

http://www.therecord.com/home_page_fron ... 55585.html

Monday, February 05, 2007 | Updated at 7:16 AM EST

Two Canadians shot in lobby of Mexican hotel
    Woodbridge tourists hospitalized, latest incident renews travel fears
    MEGHAN WATERS AND PHILIP MASCOLL
    TORONTO (Feb 5, 2007)

Two Toronto-area residents have been shot in Acapulco, Mexico, as the toll of Canadian casualties from one of this country's favourite sunshine destinations continues to rise.

The man and woman, both from Woodbridge and travelling in the same group, were not badly injured in the weekend shooting at Casa Inn Hotel, according to Acapulco police.

The victims were identified by a Toronto TV station as 55-year-old Rita Calara, 55, and Yoyo Manela, 73.

Police have not confirmed their identities. The hotel management also declined to comment last night.

Mexican police confirmed the two victims, from Ontario, suffered minor injuries to their legs late Saturday and were treated in a local hospital.

The duo are the second and third Canadians from Woodbridge to suffer violence in the Pacific Ocean coastal resort in the past month.

Foreign Affairs Canada did not return calls for comment last night, however, according to the ministry's website, Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay is to visit Mexico and Brazil this week "to bolster Canada's ties with the two countries."

According to some news reports, Saturday's shooting was witnessed by other Canadians in the party. Giuseppe Alaimo told the Toronto TV station he was at the Casa Inn at the time of the shooting and was in a large group that witnessed the gunfire in the inn's lobby.

"We brought them in (and) tried to comfort them, stop the bleeding," he said. "But the trouble is, you know, before they get the ambulance, it takes more than a half an hour . . . the police arrived about an hour later."

Gabriel Cicconi, a relative of one of the tourists who witnessed the shooting, said he fears for the safety of all Canadians vacationing in Mexico.

"I think at this point we've gotten a fairly clear message to stop travelling to Mexico," Cicconi said.

"Even if it's not for safety issues, but just to send a message to say, 'Hey, we're not going to stand for this any more. This is getting ridiculous.' "

On Jan. 8, Adam DePrisco, 19, of Woodbridge died in an Acapulco hospital. He had been found the previous day Jan. 7 bleeding from the head on the side of a road in Acapulco.

Mexican authorities have insisted he was the victim of a hit and run. But his family, including relatives who flew to Acapulco to be by his bedside, maintain he was set up in a nightclub, forced outside and beaten, then left for dead. Those who saw him before he died say all his injuries were to his head and his body was unmarked.

A year ago, Domenico Ianiero, 59, and his wife Annunziata, 55, also of Woodbridge, were found murdered in their hotel room on the Mayan Riviera.

And on Jan. 18, Clifford Glasier, 67, of Grand Bend, became the fourth Canadian to be killed in Mexico in the past 12 months.

He and his wife Janette Lerch, 54, who were vacationing near Guadalajara, were hit by a car as they crossed the highway. The driver fled.

Liberal MP Dan McTeague, foreign affairs critic, said he was told the two shooting victims were travelling in the same group, but were not a couple.

"Woodbridge has had an unlucky streak with its share of victims in Mexico, but Acapulco in particular," he said in a telephone interview.

He urged the government to issue a travel advisory specifically for Acapulco. Such warnings are used to alert travelling Canadians to stay clear of certain countries and areas when personal safety cannot be guaranteed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I can only guees that they wanted the people to die so they can't talk.
    It is bad enough that this crime is taking place, but I think that it is worse that the US doesn't make this news more available to the public. I agree, I think Mexico would rather have these tourists die so they can get more money by holding the body for ransom, and charging for the so called medical treatment. Infuriating.

There is another one. This is really bad as the person involved is a trained killer who left no evidence behind. Just think this Mexican can escape here and then we are in big trouble.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2 ... 5-sun.html

Mon, February 5 / 07

More Mexican terrorTwo Canadians wounded by gunfire while walking in Acapulco
    By ALAN CAIRNS, SUN MEDIA

Tourist safety in Mexico took another hit over the weekend when two Canadians were injured while walking on an Acapulco street.

Local media told the Toronto Sun last night that Daghous McNelland, 73, and Rita Cellero, 49, both believed to be residents of the Niagara area, were treated at a local hospital after they were wounded outside a streetside restaurant or bar.

Mexican police are probing whether the incident was an apparent robbery attempt, or a case of mistaken identity.

The victim's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

One of the victims was shot in the foot.

Another may have been shot in the leg.

The wounded pair returned to their hotel yesterday after being treated and kept overnight at the Hospital Pacifica.

PART OF GROUP

The wounded pair were among two couples staying at the 4-star Casa Inn Hotel with a large group of Canadian tourists.

The Casa Inn Hotel is located in the popular "Golden" area, close to Acapulco's prefered discoteques, restaurants and shops.

The incident is the latest in a string of Mexican tragedies involving Canadian tourists.

On Jan. 17, Cliff Glasier, 67, of London, Ont., was killed in a hit-and-run in the town of Ajijic. His wife, Janette Lerrch, 54, survived.

The pair were walking on a street only steps from their rented condo when they were struck.

Adam DePrisco of Woodbridge died in an Acapulco hospital Jan. 8 from head injuries that Mexican police say he suffered in an apparent hit and run.

DePrisco's friends, however, say DePrisco was beaten up outside the Paladium nightclub after a girl and a local man set him up for a robbery.

The brutal throat-slashing slayings of Woodbridge couple Domenic and Nancy Ianiero in a Cancun hotel last Feb. 20 has taken on an unreal atmosphere amid claims by the slain couple's family that local authorities are trying to cover up the killer's identity to protect the local tourist industry.

Ianiero family lawyer Eddie Greenspan says the "one and only suspect" in the slayings is a former elite Mexican army paratrooper, anti-drug trooper and VIP bodyguard Delgado Fajardo, 36, who was a security guard at the couple's hotel.

Liberal Foreign Affairs Critic Dan McTeague told CTV News yesterday that he thinks Canadians need to be better informed by Canada's Foreign Affairs officials about the risks of travelling to Mexico.

ADVISORY URGED

"Obviously, one has to take into consideration that events in this area are happening with greater frequency and it may be a good time for Foreign Affairs Canada to update its travel advisory to urge Canadians to take these matters into consideration before travelling there," McTeague said.

"We don't want to be seen as jumping to conclusions, but, at the same time I think we have to err on the side of caution."

Fajardo disappeared the morning the Ianieros were slain in their room at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort.

Witnesses say Delgado Fajardo was at the hotel the night before and did not show up at work the day of the murders.

The Ianieros' throats were slit from ear-to-ear by a trained killer who did not leave behind any clues, experts have said.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_7524.aspx

Monday February 5, 2007 10:21 AM ET
    Where Are The Worst Crime Areas In Mexico?
    Monday February 5, 2007
    It used to be a place Canadians associated with warm vacations for a relatively cheap price.

But now Mexico is gaining a different kind of reputation as a potential danger spot for tourists.

Thousands flock to the resorts in the country every year without incident. But it's those who don't come home that have left many GTA residents concerned.

Their names have become well known to everyone in this city - the Ianieros, Adam De Prisco, Glifford Glasier and now the wounding of Rita Calara and Yoyo Manela in Acapulco.

We've told you before what the Canadian government has to say about the dangers of travelling south of the border.

But here's a breakdown from the U.S. State Department of the problems in each region of the country, and a warning of what travellers should expect.

Acapulco (top left)

The scene of the latest violence directed at tourists. Robberies and shootings fuelled by the drug trade seem to be the biggest danger. It's still not clear why a gunman fired into the lobby of a hotel where two Ontario residents were staying. But drug wars can escalate into violence, and Acapulco has been the scene of many of them.

Drug cartels fighting over smuggling routes have made the popular spot increasingly dangerous over the past few months.

At least six heads of decapitated police officers and alleged drug smugglers were found in the resort and nearby towns last year.

But according to American officials, it's not just crime that can kill. Some tourists underestimate what appear to be the calm waters of the resort and swim too far. Many have died in rough surf by going beyond the bay area at the Revolcadero Beach in the resort city.

Cabo San Lucas

The usual warnings are out for tourists here. Don't be flashy with possessions and don't show a lot of money. Thieves are looking for visitors who come ready to spend and have no problem taking what you've got.

The waters are also dangerous here, with rip tides and rogue waves a frequent problem. Beware of a quick dip on a beach posted as being dangerous.

Cancun and Cozumel

Two of the biggest tourist towns represent some of the worst hazards. Cancun boasts a population of about 500,000. And like any city with that many people, crime makes itself at home.

Among the dangers: robbery, a constant threat, and what the U.S. State Department calls "crimes against persons", like rape. It warns many of the felonies occur after dark, when nightclubs are hopping and alcohol is flowing, leaving tourists in mellow moods and often not thinking about their own safety. Travelling in pairs and sticking to safe areas is recommended.

There are also warnings of strong undertows along the beach in both cities, so anyone going for a dip is strongly cautioned to be careful.

Matamoros/South Padre Island

These are popular spring break destinations but tourists aren't the only ones who like the area. So do drug dealers, and rival gang turf wars have upped the violence quotient in these two places. Keep to safe areas, especially at night, and you should be O.K.

Mazatlan

Prone to petty crime, like robberies and muggings. There are also concerns about currents here and drowning dangers should you decide to favour the ocean over your resort's pool.

Nogales/Sonora

The warnings here aren't crime so much as traffic. This spring break destination is often alcohol fuelled, and there have been an alarming number of accidents in the area. Remember under Mexican law you're often presumed guilty until proven innocent and extricating yourself from a drunk driving charge won't be easy - or cheap.

Oaxaca

The city itself has been prone to violent civil unrest for almost a year. The tourist areas are said to be safer, but changeable water conditions mean drowning is a constant threat at the popular Zipolite Beach.

Tijuana

One of Mexico's biggest and busiest cities, it's also one of the most crime ridden. It's a major border point for motorists entering the country from the U.S., so if you're driving down south in that direction, be on your guard. Tourist beach towns like Rosarito and Ensenada can also be dangerous for robberies and pickpockets, along with alcohol-fed violence.

And there's another disturbing trend that's emerged here, which so far hasn't affected any Canadians. But many Americans - especially those with business ties in the country - have been kidnapped by gangs of thieves and held for ransom, with demands that family members or companies pay up to secure their release.

Source: U.S. State Department

Mexican Police

Don't ask lawyer Eddie Greenspan his opinion of the Mexican federales or you'll get a long lecture about their alleged corruption. While there are many honest lawmen, the pay scale for those wearing a badge in Mexico isn't high - ranging somewhere between $350-$450 (Cdn.) a month.

As a consequence, many police officers are thought to be amenable to bribes by criminals to make their offences disappear. Drug dealers have been known to have some cops on their payrolls, as a means of protection and keeping them free from legal hassles.

In some cases, tourists are also asked to kick into an illegal kitty in order to secure their own release on charges that range from real to manufactured.

Corruption in the judiciary is thought to be widespread, so if you run into a problem in Mexico, chances are the Canadian Embassy won't be able to do much to help you.

A 2002 U.N. study reported widespread corruption in the judicial system, especially in local or state courts.

Most frequent crimes against tourists

Armed robberies
    Robberies at ATMs
    Hotel robberies
    Pickpockets
    Taxi gouging and robberies by drivers
    Assaults
    Abductions

Great article Jim, every American should read this before they make travel plans. Cool Avatar.

IMO, anyone foolish enough to risk going into messico for vacation or business should expect no more safety or security than if they are traveling to the middle east. I have little sympathy for those that would place themselves in harms way ON PURPOSE and through a conscious CHOICE, any more than I pity the skydiver who has a bad day. Life is about calculated risk. If you take the risk then you have to be willing to lose on your bet.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBaztard
    IMO, anyone foolish enough to risk going into messico for vacation or business should expect no more safety or security than if they are traveling to the middle east. I have little sympathy for those that would place themselves in harms way ON PURPOSE and through a conscious CHOICE, any more than I pity the skydiver who has a bad day. Life is about calculated risk. If you take the risk then you have to be willing to lose on your bet.

Jaded, here is the key word conscious, most people do not know what is happening in their own country know less Mexico or S. America. How many people do you think knows who Chavez is? I'll bet not very many and he is a terrible threat to this country. How many terrorist is he sending across our southern boder? I'm sure we won't know until it is to late!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

If they are that ignorant of world affairs and don't bother to learn a little about the place they are traveling to then they get what they get. I don't buy a car without researching it, I don't buy a house without researching it, why would I go to a foreign country without at least finding out what the current situation is there?

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBaztard
    If they are that ignorant of world affairs and don't bother to learn a little about the place they are traveling to then they get what they get. I don't buy a car without researching it, I don't buy a house without researching it, why would I go to a foreign country without at least finding out what the current situation is there?
    That is because you are smart. Americans take things for granted and assume if everybody else is doing it, it must be okay. I think that we are in for a rude awakening.

Sorry, I aplogize to everyone. I'm feeling a bit stressed. I'm now at day 35 without a cigarette after smoking a pack a day for 24 years. I guess I should stay off the boards for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast