Trump tells Republicans to make 'horrendous, weak and outdated immigration laws' part of their final midterm election sale pitch as massive immigrant caravan heads north from Central America

By Emily Goodin, U.s. Political Reporter For Dailymail.com
Published: 11:28 EDT, 17 October 2018 | Updated: 12:48 EDT, 17 October 2018

The president has long viewed immigration a winning issue for Republicans and partially credits his White House victory on his tough stance on the matter.

Independent political prognosticators are giving Democrats strong chances of retaking the House in November while Republicans are increasingly confident they will hold the Senate.

The president is touting the immigration issue while threatening to cut off funding to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador if those governments don't stop waves of immigrants from coming to the United States.

Up to 3,000 migrants crossed from Honduras into Guatemala on Monday on a trek northward.
Thousands of migrants have fled Honduras and other Central American nations in an effort to escape the poverty and violence that has engulfed their homelands.

Immigration is an issue the president has consistently used as a hammer in his dealing with Congress and Democrats.

He has threatened to shut down the government if he doesn't getting funding to build his border wall.

Republican House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy has prepped legislation that would fully fund the president's border wall along the U.S.-Mexico border with a $23.4 billion price tag.

But Congress is in recess until after November's election although the House could take up the matter when it returns in mid-November.

Democrats, however, oppose any legislation funding for the border wall that does not include protection for the so-called Dreamers, the children of illegal immigrants brought by their parents to the U.S. when they were young.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, who is seeking to be speaker of the House should her party retake control, said one of their first priorities would be legislation to protect Dreamers.

She also told Politico she does not see any Democrats voting to fund the wall.

'I don't see any of us voting for wall funding. … We have a responsibility to secure our borders. There are ways to do that that are consistent with civilization, humanitarianism and who we are as a nation. We have to remove all doubt about that,' she said.

And the president is gripping about a headline on an interview he gave the AP that said 'Trump tells AP he won't accept blame if GOP loses House.'

The president, when asked in the interview whether he'd 'bear some responsibility' for losses, replied, 'No, I think I'm helping people.'

'AP headline was very different from my quote and meaning in the story. They just can't help themselves. FAKE NEWS!' he tweeted without context on Wednesday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...les-pitch.html