Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trust but E-Verify - NYT columnist Supports E-Verify

Trust but E-Verify

By ROSS DOUTHAT

The Arizona immigration law was controversial from the beginning. Critics said it was ripe for abuse, implicitly discriminatory and probably unconstitutional as well. Business groups and liberal activists joined forces to oppose it.

But now that it’s been implemented, it might just be a model for nationwide reform.

No, I’m not talking about the Arizona law that empowers local police to check the immigration status of anyone they detain, which generated a wave of boycotts and a surfeit of Gestapo analogies last spring. I mean the 2007 Arizona law requiring businesses to confirm their employees’ legal status with the federal E-Verify database, which was upheld last week in a 5-to-3 decision by the United States Supreme Court.

The E-Verify law was never as polarizing as last year’s police-powers legislation, but it still attracted plenty of opposition. Arizona business interests called it unfair and draconian. (An employer’s business license is suspended for the first offense and revoked for the second.) Civil liberties groups argued that the E-Verify database’s error rate is unacceptably high, and that the law creates a presumptive bias against hiring Hispanics.

If these arguments sound familiar, it’s because similar critiques are always leveled against any attempt to actually enforce America’s immigration laws. From the border to the workplace, immigration enforcement is invariably depicted as terribly harsh, hopelessly expensive and probably racist into the bargain.

Not to mention counterproductive: advocates for “comprehensiveâ€

Sorry Ross

Sorry Ross, but Overcrowding and Overpopulation are right around the corner.
    We need to put strict limits on immigration now before we get ourselves into another hole. We absolutely must plan ahead with regards to Immigration...

From the border to the workplace, immigration enforcement is invariably depicted as terribly harsh, hopelessly expensive and probably racist into the bargain
    So am I to understand it that the UNITED STATES IS THE ONLY COUNTRY in the WORLD, with immigration laws?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But we have the worst number of OFFENDERS!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

A breakthrough for the NYT

This piece is a real breakthrough for the NYT. Mr. Douthat actually acknowledges that amnesty makes no sense with 15% low-skilled unemployment, and that the U.S. is damaged by unbalanced immigration dominated by Latin Americans. This is blasphemy by current NYT standards.

The adoption of a Canadian-style points system is interesting. When such a system was proposed as part of the 2006 amnesty debate in the Senate, John McCain practically broke down in tears arguing against it.

Here's my question, the argument for large-scale immigration is that _every_ immigrant is harder working and more intelligent than the average American. If this is so, why do both the McCains and Guttierezes opppose a points-based system based on education and skills?

Re: A breakthrough for the NYT

Quote Originally Posted by b_reynaldo
    This piece is a real breakthrough for the NYT. Mr. Douthat actually acknowledges that amnesty makes no sense with 15% low-skilled unemployment, and that the U.S. is damaged by unbalanced immigration dominated by Latin Americans. This is blasphemy by current NYT standards.

The adoption of a Canadian-style points system is interesting. When such a system was proposed as part of the 2006 amnesty debate in the Senate, John McCain practically broke down in tears arguing against it.

Here's my question, the argument for large-scale immigration is that _every_ immigrant is harder working and more intelligent than the average American. If this is so, why do both the McCains and Guttierezes opppose a points-based system based on education and skills?
    Welcome to ALIPAC b_reynaldo and a very good question and maybe they know deep within themselves they are dead wrong on their thinking of the ILLEGAL ALIEN INVADERS. They are nothing more then SELL OUTS!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

We have a great system to handle legal immigration. It is the ILLEGAL immigration we can't handle. PERIOD.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

working4change
    From above url video title

South Carolina's E-Verify Law Roadblocked