Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: ACLU to discuss issues facing border residents today

ACLU to discuss issues facing border residents today
    March 26, 2008 - 11:56PM
    By Kevin Sieff/The Brownsville Herald

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas will hold a community meeting today to discuss civil rights issues on the border.

The newly created ACLU chapter urges Rio Grande Valley residents to voice their concerns about the border fence, immigration detention centers, and collaboration between local law enforcement officers and the Border Patrol, among other issues.

The chapter was founded in San Juan last month by Erik Toren.

"Even if people aren't members, they can come to meetings and voice their concerns," Toren said. "They can become active supporters of constitutional rights in our community."

The meeting will include "Know Your Rights" training about residents' legal rights in law enforcement encounters. Local attorneys will be available to answer questions from community members.

"We really want to hear from border residents about what worries them, what issues are important in their communities, and what they want for their communities in the future," said Rebecca Bernhardt, director of Policy Development at the ACLU of Texas.

"This information is important for residents so they know what to do when they are approached by police officers or Border Patrol officers in their homes, in their cars, and on the street."

The event is co-sponsored by the Coalition of Amigos in Solidarity and Action (CASA).

CASA member E. Elizabeth Garcia said the organization is getting complaints from community members that during routine traffic stops police officers are asking about their immigration status.

"Many in our community live in fear of being targeted and subjected to invasive, inappropriate questioning," Garcia said. "For this reason, we want to provide community members with an opportunity to discuss their experiences as well as information on how to handle these types of incidents."

The meeting will be held at San Felipe de Jesus Church, 2218 Carlos Ave., in Cameron Park, today at 7 p.m. Dinner and refreshments will be provided.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas community meeting

When: 7 p.m., TODAY

Where: San Felipe de Jesus Church, 2218 Carlos Ave. Dinner and refreshments will be provided.

For more information: ACLU of Texas Field Director Tracey Hayes can be reached at
    (512) 478-7300 ext. 124 or thayes@aclutx.org

On the Net: www.aclutx.org/

www.brownsvilleherald.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Many in our community live in fear of being targeted and subjected to invasive, inappropriate questioning," Garcia said. "For this reason, we want to provide community members with an opportunity to discuss their experiences as well as information on how to handle these types of incidents."
    Yes, I'd like to know who's going to fight for my civil rights when illegal aliens invade my property, trash it and threaten me?

Tell me, how do I handle it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Be certain to include from the Constitution:

"The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence." Article IV Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution.

What IS 'Aiding or Abetting?
    To 'Aid or Abet' is to actively, knowingly, or intentionally assist another person in the commission or attempted commission of a crime, such as illegally entering our country without our permission or knowledge, housing them, transporting them, or employing them.

The Law:
    1. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "encourage or induce an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law." 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv).

2. It is 'aiding or abetting' to "conceal or attempt to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, illegal aliens, including any building or any means of transportation."
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii).

3. It is also 'aiding or abetting' to "engage in any conspiracy to commit any of the preceding acts."
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(I).

4. It is a felony to 'aid or abet' in the commission of the above acts.
    8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(v)(II).
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)