Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Authorities raid Tyler restaurant

Authorities raid Tyler restaurant

April 14, 2011

TYLER - Shortly after 10 A.M. Thursday, 20 to 30 I.C.E. agents began interviewing people inside of the China King restaurant. The authorities were seen questioning employees and even taking the thumb-scans of some of them.

Authorities say the restaurant closed Thursday, but now word on how long the shut-down will last.

I.C.E. agents did release this statement on the matter:

"U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement along with U.S. Homeland Security are conducting an ongoing investigation, which the China King is a part of. Because it is ongoing, no further details can be released at this time."

http://www.ketknbc.com/news/authorities ... restaurant
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigration Officers Investigating Tyler Restaurant
    By FIELD SUTTON
    KYTX CBS19

A raid by federal agents closed a Tyler Chinese restaurant Thursday morning in the French Quarter. It happened at the China King near South Broadway Avenue and Loop 323.

According to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) spokesman Carl Rusnok, it was part of a joint effort between ICE and the Department of Homeland Security.

About 10 agents were inside the restaurant until mid-afternoon going through papers and interviewing employees.

Eye witnesses told KYTX CBS19 that federal agents filled the French Quarter parking lot just before 10 a.m. Thursday. They surrounded China King and then entered the front and the back at the same time.

For most of the day, no one left the building. Once the lunch hour rolled around, customers were turned away one after another. Some of them were shocked when they learned why.

“I'll come back,â€

China King subject of ICE investigation
    Posted: Apr 14, 2011 11:03 AM CDT
    Updated: Apr 14, 2011 5:34 PM CDT

WITE VIDEO REPORT

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - U.S. Immigration, Customs and Enforcement and Homeland Security conducted in investigation in Tyler on Thursday.

China King Restaurant located at 4542 South Broadway in the French Quarter shopping center was shut down for the day while federal investigators processed all the employees.

It started around ten o'clock Thursday morning. ICE officials took pictures and fingerprinted employees, making sure they were all US citizens or in the country legally. The investigation lasted about four hours.

Patrons of the restaurant were surprised, but had similar opinions.

Maria Ramirez said," Oh well, I think that if they're here illegally and they're working then they should get a permit and have permission to work so they don't have to fear."

Diane Desharow said, "Those people need to be here legally. If not then they don't belong here. We don't have any objections to them coming, just do it right."

Shortly after two o'clock, the investigators left, followed by most of China King's employees.

According to a manager of the restaurant, none of his employees were detained. The only statement ICE or the US Attorney's Office would release was that this is an ongoing investigation and wouldn't say if anyone was detained.

In the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, ICE has been conducting I-9 Inspections to find out if employers have been hiring without seeing all the proper paperwork. They can be fined if they are violating the law.

http://www.kltv.com/story/14446532/us-i ... china-king

TYLER (KYTX) -- A raid by federal agents closed a Tyler Chinese restaurant in the French Quarter Thursday morning. It happened at the China King near Broadway and the South Loop.

According to Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesperson Carl Rusnok, it was part of a joint effort between ICE and the Department of Homeland Security.

Approximately ten agents were inside the restaurant until mid-afternoon going through papers and interviewing employees.

Eye-witnesses tell CBS 19 that federal agents filled the French Quarter parking lot just before 10:00 Thursday morning. They surrounded China King and then entered the front and the back at the same time.

"Oh my word!" a woman exclaimed shortly after they entered the building.

Within an hour, news of an immigration raid in Tyler had the internet abuzz.

"Everybody's just posting and stuff and saying that INS is in Tyler and be careful, and other people are just saying pray for our immigrants," said Maria Ruiz with the East Texas Radio Group.

Ruiz says people inside the restaurant told her it was a detailed investigation.

"They are checking everyone for their documentation," she said. "I guess they just want to make sure that they're legally here and legally working in the United States."

Agents interviewed employees one by one. For most the day, no one left the building. Once the lunch hour rolled around, customers got turned away one after another. Some of them were shocked when they learned why.

"I'll come back," said Gary Hanseler. He's been eating at China King once a week for five years. "Surprises me. You wouldn't think anything like that would happen. The man that owns or manages it is a real nice guy."

"We were shocked that it was closed," said Eliceo Medina. "Never been like that."

Just after 2:00p.m, employees started to leave in their own cars, apparently free to go. ICE agents load boxes of what appeared to be evidence into a van and leave.

The manager at China King opened the door just long enough to say that none of his employees got in trouble.

Rusnok tells us what happened is part of a larger ICE and Homeland security investigation. He would not say whether any of China King's employees were detained.

Rumors got started on Facebook earlier saying other Tyler restaurants were raided by federal agents. We have confirmed that China King was the only one affected. They expect to be back open for business Friday.

http://www.cbs19.tv/Global/story.asp?S=14446120