Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Cinco de Mayo celebrations can't mask border tensions

May 5, 2007, 1:46AM
    Cinco de Mayo celebrations can't mask border tensions
    Workplace raids, the border fence and immigration reform have community worried

By JAMES PINKERTON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

BROWNSVILLE — Lurking in the background of this year's colorful fiestas celebrating Cinco de Mayo will be a few unwanted guests: workplace raids, a divisive border fence and a bitter impasse over immigration reform.

As Mexican-Americans and others observe a fleeting military victory 145 years ago, many Hispanics are troubled by continued anti-illegal-immigrant sentiment. And the signature Cinco de Mayo tequila shots, menudo contests and cumbia competitions don't completely disperse the undercurrents.

''We'll still go through the formalities, through the celebrations, but in the back of people's minds they're going to be concerned about ... the fence and immigration reform," said U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Democrat whose South Texas congressional district includes Laredo and a large swath of the border.

In Houston, the incoming leader of the League of United Latin American Citizens said ongoing debate and coverage of immigration issues, including this week's news of the border fence, has prompted angry phone calls to the organization's office.

''We have never received hate calls towards the Cinco de Mayo parade until this year," said Jose L. Jimenez, whose organization sponsors today's parade in downtown Houston. ''We get calls like 'Go celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico — this is our country.' "

Jimenez said the anti-illegal immigrant message and other issues have boosted local interest in the annual parade. He's noticed more calls from residents wanting to participate, and says it's part of a trend.

'''It has actually helped unite Latinos in this country, because now you have U.S. citizens who are experiencing direct racism based solely on their names or color of skin," Jimenez explained. ''That's bringing them closer to their cultural group."

Last week, South Texas mayors and business leaders erupted in anger, after obtaining a confidential memo from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security pinpointing the location of 153 miles of pedestrian fencing in and around cities on the Texas-Mexico border. But by Friday, DHS officials said the memo and a map were only a ''starting point" to discuss fence locations with local leaders, and that no final decisions have been reached.

Cuellar worries the erection of a fence in downtown areas of border communities will send the wrong message to Mexican trading partners. Bridges on the Texas border handled 76 percent of the $219 billion in Mexican imports and exports in 2006, according to trade figures.

Peter Ward, a Mexico expert at the University of Texas at Austin, said resentment over the border fence and the immigration reform stalemate may help, or harm, Cinco de Mayo events.

''It could intensify people's determination to participate and celebrate Cinco de Mayo as a way of showing they are here, they are legitimate," Ward said.

But the professor said immigration controversies may keep people from showing up. ''People may want to keep their heads down," Ward said.

The U.S. Border Patrol said there was no slight intended in setting a recruiting drive today to sign up new agents at the University of Texas-Pan American campus in Edinburg.

Other job events are scheduled in Houston on May 12, and May 19 in Dallas, agency officials said.

''It's gonna be big. Hopefully, there will be thousands" of applicants, said Oscar Saldaña, a spokesman for the Rio Grande Sector in Edinburg. ''As far as Cinco de Mayo being some holiday in Mexico, ... it's just a date that was decided."

Last year, some anti-illegal immigrant groups boycotted Hispanic-owned businesses while others joined a caravan that stopped at President Bush's ranch in Crawford.

And while there were no protests this year, the new leader of the Minuteman Project called it a ''stupid holiday."

''I'm saying as an American black man, in this nation when we start putting our ethnicity above our nationalism, we bring in division," said Marvin Stewart, who heads a controversial group of volunteers who patrol the Southwest border to prevent illegal immigration.

Stewart, who works for the Veterans Administration in California, said an emphasis on ethnic roots can slow assimilation. ''That's citizenship — you relinquish where you come from and embrace where you're going onto," he said.

Cinco de Mayo is celebrated sparsely in Mexico, except in the city of Puebla near where poorly equipped Mexican militia troops routed an invading French Army on May 5, 1862.

Commanded by Texas-born General Ignacio Zaragoza, the victory was brief as a larger French army captured Mexico City and installed an emperor.

Jimenez said Cinco de Mayo commemorations are more popular in the United States.

But the simmering debate about illegal immigrants and anxiety about worksite raids has given the holiday new symbolism.

''It's becoming more popular because we're going to go and stand together," said Jimenez. ''It's a cultural celebration of never quitting."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 77583.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

'''It has actually helped unite Latinos in this country, because now you have U.S. citizens who are experiencing direct racism based solely on their names or color of skin," Jimenez explained. ''That's bringing them closer to their cultural group."
    BS! That is the makings of civil war right there - promoting untrue garbage such that that philosophy.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Banned
    I’m not sure about why someone would come to America Illegally, legally or any other way and expect and celebrate a holiday that the country it originated in ,doesn’t even celebrate it ... sounds kind of stupid to me too.

Now I got to say one more time race isn’t going to decide for me why millions of people are allowed to break the law and drink till drunk and walk free around the streets . I’m American, my parents and their parents parents are American and as far as I can find out, not one time has it been allowed .

It ticked me off I had to go to page 11 when I searched to find out what it really was in the first place but Ill be nice here
    If Cinco de Mayo is
    Mexican commemorative festival: a celebration on May 5, among Mexican communities in Mexico and North America, and it celebrates the Mexican defeat of French troops at the Battle of Puebla in 1862 , can any one tell me if America was ever involved in the battle.

So I said Id be nice, and I will forget the fact that I think its just another excuse to get drunk and run around the streets. I real think if the French would have had clean water we would have not been talking about this in the first place

So I can’t say happy Cinco de Mayo for what ever reason you celebrate it.
    Does any one in America Know of a big party here in the states that celebrates when we dropped the Big one on Japan.
    Last time I check and some one should call Bush and tell him America doesn’t celebrate the death of mass men in battle so Mexico needs to call the French make amends and stop the party.

Great American -

Your answer was YES. There were americans who went and joined the Mexican Army to fight against the French. Napoleon III was aiding the conferates during the Civil War because he felt the Confederates would favor him and they were desperatly of need of supplies. So many americans felt they needed to crush the confederates. So they left the US and went to Mexico and jointed the Army there. Once the french were defeated, it allowed the confereates to be weaken and give the Union Army a victory.

It was then during a victory parade in Mexico City, yep, The American Legion of Honor marched in the parade along with other soldiers who fought.

Yes I am totally against Illegal Immigration, but maybe this "Cinco de Mayo" may have been a blessing in disquise for us in the long term. Just think what would happen if the French won. I think we would be flying white flags :P So that is my understanding.

Every day is Stinkp de Mayo in California
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

I meant to type Stinko de Mayo
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Berfie
    Great American -

Your answer was YES. There were americans who went and joined the Mexican Army to fight against the French. Napoleon III was aiding the conferates during the Civil War because he felt the Confederates would favor him and they were desperatly of need of supplies. So many americans felt they needed to crush the confederates. So they left the US and went to Mexico and jointed the Army there. Once the french were defeated, it allowed the confereates to be weaken and give the Union Army a victory.

It was then during a victory parade in Mexico City, yep, The American Legion of Honor marched in the parade along with other soldiers who fought.

Yes I am totally against Illegal Immigration, but maybe this "Cinco de Mayo" may have been a blessing in disquise for us in the long term. Just think what would happen if the French won. I think we would be flying white flags :P So that is my understanding.
    Youll have to back that stuff up with a link for me to belive.

Banned
    Berfie
    Thank you for those links, but I’m not convinced of any reason for the big party...
    Three of the four, I skated over ,their Authors and them possibly and simple fact of what messages they are sending.
    I believe that Americans marching in the parade was for a different reason then to celebrate the Mexican victory.
    Thanks again,
    In my opinion
    The pbs artical was the only one that provide facts, With out a taking a side . I’m going to keep digging Maybe I can find a history book or some old writing at the library that’s a little more complete. We live real close to Grants place Ill bet I can find some good info.