Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX Republicans add Arizona-like residency checks to platform

dallasnews.com
    Texas Republicans add Arizona-like residency checks to platform
    07:58 PM CDT on Saturday, June 12, 2010
    By GROMER JEFFERS JR. / The Dallas Morning News
    gjeffers@ dallasnews.com

Texas Republicans voted Saturday to call for a state law to require local police officers to verify that people arrested on suspicion of a crime are in the country legally.

[b]If Republicans have their way, the Legislature would make it a crime for an illegal immigrant to “intentionally or knowinglyâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Someone needs to print a correction.

[quote]Ultimately, delegates voted to “oppose amnesty for illegal immigration, period,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Texas GOP splinters over immigration at party convention

Here's closer to the truth, although it's also bias. You would have thought that the local papers would have gotten the story right.

Texas GOP splinters over immigration at party convention
    By Patrick Caldwell 6/15/10 10:11 AM Digg Tweet

The Texas Republican convention was meant to bring the state’s GOP together to focus on the November elections. On Friday, two former political opponents, Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, reconciled after a heated gubernatorial primary. And Perry’s speech later in the day accepting his party’s nomination focused on the attacking his Democratic opponent Bill White, a topic on which all those at the Dallas Convention Center could agree. But while all the big speeches of the convention stressed the unity of the party, behind the scenes delegates were splintering over one topic: immigration.

“Everything is Bigger in Texas,â€

Good Job Texas Republicans. Illegal aliens should not be allowed to serve in the US military. The very notion was obscene and I'm delighted it was rejected in Texas. Illegal aliens need one thing and that is after their pockets are picked clean to pay for the cost and consequences of them being here in violation of our law in the first place, and that's a deportation home back over a border that's sealed from our side.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Of course they elected a Pro_McAMNESTY lawyer as chairman of their party over their anti-ILLEGAL current (going into the convention) chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    Of course they elected a Pro_McAMNESTY lawyer as chairman of their party over their anti-ILLEGAL current (going into the convention) chairman.
    lccat, do you have a quote from him? I haven't heard anything that made me think he was pro-illegal or would be soft on them.

Munisteri claimed to be "against amnesty and for secure borders", so were/is Mechler and Adams.

Of the three candidates who ran for chairman, all appear to be soundly conservative and against illegal immigration.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Quote Originally Posted by lccat
    lccat, do you have a quote from him? I haven't heard anything that made me think he was pro-illegal or would be soft on them.

Munisteri claimed to be "against amnesty and for secure borders", so were/is Mechler and Adams.

Of the three candidates who ran for chairman, all appear to be soundly conservative and against illegal immigration.

Dixie
    This is the article that stated he worked for McCain. Adams became chairman when the elected chairman resigned, the finances were in bad shape when she took the job and she has improved the status and the convention was paid for, per Dan Patrick's radio show. As far as being a conservative it looks as if the party took a step backwards, remember McCain always said he wanted Border Security and no Amnesty but we know his actions and my concern is his support of McCain and of course he is a lawyer.

2 from Houston area take top Texas GOP jobs
    Convention delegates choose Munisteri as party's new leader; activist Fredricks chosen vice-chairwoman
    By JOE HOLLEY
    HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    June 12, 2010, 8:01PM

Handout photo
    Steve Munisteri wants the Texas Republican Party to shore up its finances.

MORE FROM CONVENTION
    2 from Houston take top party jobs For our Texas Politics blog, click here
    In keeping with the anti-incumbent fervor raging through Republican primaries around the country, the Texas Republican Party on Saturday ousted its chairwoman, longtime conservative activist Cathie Adams, and replaced her with Steve Munisteri, a retired Houston lawyer.

Munisteri, who accused Adams of mismanaging the party’s finances, won in a rare floor fight at the state convention in Dallas, taking 59 percent of the more than 7,000 votes cast. Adams has held the top position for eight months.

Although Munisteri reminded convention delegates that both he and Adams were rock-ribbed conservatives, he criticized her for not resolving the party’s ongoing financial problems and for not being aggressive enough about outreach efforts, particularly to Hispanic voters.

Munisteri, 52, was a founder of the Young Conservatives of Texas in 1981 while in college and told delegates about being tossed out of a legislative committee hearing as a 20-year-old because the committee chairman took issue with his outspoken pro-life beliefs. He has continued to work with young conservatives, many of whom volunteered in his campaign for party chairman. Munisteri has worked in Republican races for 38 years, most recently in Sen. John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign.

[b]Unlike other anti-incumbent efforts around the country, the incumbent in the chair race was probably the more conservative of the two. Adams, former head of the ultraconservative Eagle Forum, reminded delegates that she had been fighting for 30 years against abortion, gay marriage and the United Nations. “Keep the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S.,â€

Thanks lccat. I agree, "secure the border" sounds like the McCain-Kennedy bill.

No argument from me about Adams, she's right for the right reasons.

Working for McCain is not the same as being pro-amnesty or for immigration reform. That's why I asked for a quote from Munisteri. Good old Republicans don't eat their own or speak badly of them. I'm sure he got behind McCain, for the same reason a lot of good conservative Americans voted for him and that was trying to keep Obama out of office. Sad that America is voting against candidates, instead of for them.

Ever notice how McCain can't seem to keep campaign staff around for more than an election cycle? Things that make you go hmmmm.

Dixie

Dixie, just a couple of thoughts:

Did he believe Adams was too conservative? The argument of her lack of financial responsibility didn't seem to hold water if he knew the financial background of the party. Hopefully he is not returning to "go along to get along" policy or the so called "compassionate conservative" with his "big tent" approach, not sure that has ever worked. From what I heard he would have been too well organized not have known all of the circumstances involved. I guess I have to believe he and the people behind him thought she was too conservative. This may hurt Texas in the long run not necessary the next couple of elections.

I also think that if McCain had been elected he would have given enough cover for some more republicans along with most democrats to have already passed his Blanket Amnesty.