Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

TX: Smith County Won't Pay For Illegals' Health Care Costs

Article published Jan 8, 2008
    Smith County Won't Pay For Illegals' Health Care Costs

By ROY MAYNARD

Staff Writer

Smith County commissioners say they want to ensure their limited funds for indigent health care are spent on legal residents.

In the regular Commissioners Court meeting Monday, Commissioner JoAnn Fleming said she was concerned when she read a recent report the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston may stop offering cancer care to indigent, undocumented immigrants because of dwindling resources.

Smith County, which spent close to $670,000 to treat 162 indigent patients during the last fiscal year, also faces budget constraints. That's why the county must be sure its resources are used wisely, Mrs. Fleming said.

"I was under the impression this had been resolved years ago, when the requirements were revamped," she said.

Under state regulations, counties don't have to ask about citizenship. But counties can do so if they choose.

"Smith County is stricter than the state," noted County Auditor Ann Wilson. "The state has no requirement for (checking) legal status."

Other commissioners say they believe the county is asking about citizenship.

"I know of one woman who provided a false Social Security number and false documents, and she was prosecuted," said County Judge Joel Baker.

But the court is willing to look into the matter further, just to be sure.

"We can talk with the Indigent Care office and make sure this is being done," said Commissioner JoAnn Hampton. We can have them here next week."

Also on Monday, commissioners re-appointed members of the Emergency Services District No. 2 board.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20080 ... /801080315
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Tarrant County and possibly Denton County Texas have already done this.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's good news.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's good news.

That's good news.

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Tarrant County and possibly Denton County Texas have already done this.

And what did the ACLU, la Raza, and the SPLC do about it?

You know this won't pass without a court battle.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!

minuteman I'm sure there will be court battles all over the country.
    It is going to be full employment for attorneys in the next few years.

I just wish we could get some legal firms interested in bringing law suits for America and Americans. I know there is one working for those who have been harmed, but I'd like to see some class action against the employers. For the employers that have been convicted or confessed to working illegals - it seems like there could be some way the people of that area could show harm and bring a suit.

It is hard, I understand, to sue the government - but what about individuals? Can citizens sue a politician for not doing his/her job?

Is the requirement to provide medical care for illegals a federal law or state law?

If it's a federal law, why can't states refuse to enforce that law the same way some states become "Sanctuary" state in violation of federal law?

Indigent care should be used for LEGAL residents.
    "

I don't know if it is the law that illegals must receive medical care? I truly don't.

I am sure emergency care is mandated - but I'm not even sure all hospitals must give emergency care, though, - if there are others available.

Yes, it seems states and local entities are allowed to ignore the laws when it is in the interests of the illegals - but not when they want to do something in the interests of America and it's people.