Voter ID bill dies for the session, Dewhurst says
Sick senator says he's returning to Houston
By Mark Lisheron

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sen. John Whitmire had his arm around his ailing friend, and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst got a kiss from the chairman of the Senate Democratic Caucus.

Sen. Mario Gallegos this week got out of a hospital bed to put a voter identification bill to bed. He represented the necessary vote for Democrats to block the bill from debate.

Instead of forcing the ill senator to remain ready to vote, Dewhurst told Gallegos, a Democrat from Houston, on Wednesday night to go home after promising that the voter ID bill would not be considered.

"Tonight, my two heroes are Mario and David Dewhurst," said Sen. Leticia Van de Putte of San Antonio, Democratic Caucus chairwoman. "The lieutenant governor saw the humanity of the situation."

Gallegos, who is fighting the rejection of a liver he received in a transplant over the winter, said the lieutenant governor's decision was "a victory for those who would be suppressed under this legislation."

Gallegos' desk remained cluttered late into the night as the Senate chugged toward a midnight deadline for passing bills. Gallegos said he intended to return to Houston on Wednesday night but would be back to work either Thursday or Friday. The session ends Monday.

The hugs and kisses brought to a close an acrimonious past week in the Senate touched off by an attempt by Republicans to consider House Bill 218, the voter ID bill.

The tension peaked when Whitmire, a Democrat from Houston, engaged in an angry exchange with Dewhurst over a vote. Whitmire cursed and pointed, and Dewhurst, a Republican, said Whitmire would be thrown out if he could not calm down.

With Republicans waiting for a Democrat to miss a day on the floor, Gallegos ignored his doctors' advice and was present Monday morning.

Gallegos, slumped at his desk, seemed more relieved than victorious.

"Am I going to whoop and holler?" he said. "No, it's not my style. But it was worth it."