Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Even if decriminalizing hard narcotics was a good idea-and I don't think it is-doing so would be pointless while you have an endemically corrupt, stratified, utterly broken state like Mexico to our south.

The criminality associated with drug-running is merely a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself, when it comes to Mexico.

We need to seal the border, decertify Mexico until it reforms or commits to real structural reform, and demand accountability from our so-called trading partner.

Mexico needs to reform its tax system-starting by redistributing the tax burden so that the ultrarich actually pay some income taxes-deregulate incompetent, cronyistic state-run industries-like PEMEX-and stop exporting its economic problems to the U.S.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Also, when you combine tough interior enforcement with strong interdiction efforts AND cracking down on the flow of illegal aliens you do make an impact upon the access to illegal narcotics within the domestic market.

I forget the exact figures, but the price of heroin and cocaine has doubled over the past year. Some of that has to do with a weak dollar, but some of it can be traced to more enforcement-or even the appearance of enforcement-within Customs and ICE. A lot of the drugs are moving directly to Ontario now.

WorriedAmerican said:
    "I knew people would not understand this. I watched a special on PBS 5 years ago, 16 hours of WHY we should legalize drugs. They convinced me. I could not believe the people who were for it, people I respect, big names.
    I too thought it was a stupid idea. If you look into it it makes sense. It's not going to make people that wouldn't do drugs, go out and do them! It just takes the money out of the equation, thus the criminal element. We'd be better off spending that money on helping addicts. There is no "winning" the war on drugs........
    Why do I try...............?"

This type of rationale is no different than the lengthy and windy explanations by certain Senators, Congressmen, and Presidents (both foreign and domestic) explaining why illegal immigration is so essential to our economy and well being, and why it is impossible to secure our borders and control immigration. Plus you really just can't deport millions of illegals. It is just too tough.

You can call it fertilizer, soil enhancer, essential soil nutritional elements, or plain old BS/HS/CS, but the organic origins are the same. Likewise with WorriedAmerican's rationale. With this approach, we may as well as decriminalize murder, rape, robbery, embezzlement, fraud, etc. That way we can use all the money we save on trials, incarceration, police departments, etc to pay for the damage done by the murderers, rapists, robbers, etc. And drug addicts.

"We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO

Is this the real objection to the wall?

If we build the wall and keep the drugs on the Mexican side, Mexico has to finally deal with their drug cartels. If we keep their poor on the Mexican side, Mexico finally has to deal with them. If we build the wall, Mexico has to deal with Mexico's problems and that is totally unacceptable to them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman
    Legalize drugs! Brilliant idea. I am all for it, and while we are at it let's legalize prostitution, too. The state already has the monopoly on gambling and alcohol. By adding drugs and sex the state will have the monopoly on all vice!!!! No problem finding the crime lords either. They'll all be at the state capitol, and every election cycle you can vote for the Godfather of your choice.
    Thank you
    some one thinks past Ron Pauls BS

Pauls plans are in what is called the plan stage he has no idea how it will work out.
    Thats why its called Paul plans we all see what happens when he Paul plans...
    The Internet providers and the FBI go on over time !!!
    Pauls one of those looks good on paper kind of guys, but the last page is gone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_paint
    Is this the real objection to the wall?

If we build the wall and keep the drugs on the Mexican side, Mexico has to finally deal with their drug cartels. If we keep their poor on the Mexican side, Mexico finally has to deal with them. If we build the wall, Mexico has to deal with Mexico's problems and that is totally unacceptable to them.
    Sounds Great !!!
    Lets try it

Another thing people who support legalization don't seem to realize is that organized crime traffiks in drugs because it is based around exploiting loop holes in the legal system, but that it will just move on to other illegal enterprises, or find new outlets in the same drug trade, if the laws are changed.

I don't know how many people know this, but there are still illegal drug trades in places where drugs are supposedly decriminalized, e.g. The Netherlands. One of the allures of drug use is its prohibition, but even if the prohibition is lifted some drug users will find a way to still break the law, because that's how they get off.

Also, you need to think about this from the supplier's perspective. If the chance of getting caught-or your drugs being impounded by Customs or the DEA-goes up from two percent to ten percent, what are your options?
    You can say, "well, that still means ninety percent of the time I won't get caught," but that's not how they look at it. These middlemen are not made of endless money, and need to allocate their resources accordingly, so they're going to switch operations to the place where the percentages are more in their favor, e.g. Canada, Western Europe, etc., which they are already doing.

I want to see changes in the war on drugs.

Dealers go to prison for terms calculated by 5-year increments based on the number of times they are caught. 5 the first and 50 the tenth. No parole. Charges and picture posted upon conviction.

Users(including alcohol) go to lockdown rehab at night and work during the day. Drug tests daily and you stay until you have 60 days clean. Charges and pictures posted on conviction. No exceptions and no parole.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_paint
    I want to see changes in the war on drugs.

Dealers go to prison for terms calculated by 5-year increments based on the number of times they are caught. 5 the first and 50 the tenth. No parole. Charges and picture posted upon conviction.

Users(including alcohol) go to lockdown rehab at night and work during the day. Drug tests daily and you stay until you have 60 days clean. Charges and pictures posted on conviction. No exceptions and no .
    Now you’re talking...
    The three strikes laws need to tighten up as well Fed time is supposed to be already is like not parole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12