Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Border Patrol to Train Iraqis?

I've told some friends of this and they are amazed.

May 24, 2007

U.S. Border Patrol to Train Iraqis?
    Chris Liakos

In the Wednesday, May 23, 2007, edition of The Washington Times, Jerry Seper opens his article with this:

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner W. Ralph Basham is looking for a few good men and women, seeking out veteran U.S. Border Patrol agents and CBP officers willing to train Iraqis to guard their borders" (Washington Times).

The following is a brief commentary on the message, not the messenger. Mr. Seper is an outstanding writer for a most respectable newspaper. The following only serves as a commentary on this proposed policy.

In this day and age of illegal immigration, and legalizing illegal immigration, etc., is it not just a bit ironic that we are sending our people to guard Iraq?!??

Not to rag too harshly on our Border Patrol, for many of them are indeed competent individuals, but we can't even guard our own borders. Estimates say that we have 12 million illegal aliens here in our own country. This is, in part, due to various oversight problems, but also in part because our border is open. So why are our policies, which are FAILING, going to stem the tide of insurgent invasion into Iraq?

The difference is this: here the majority of illegal aliens are comprised of Mexicans (and other Central American / South Americans) looking for work. There, the majority of the illegal crossings are perpetrated by foreign insurgent fighters, primarily from Iran and Syria.

Additionally, despite massive efforts at training the Iraqi Army, corruption has been high, thus undermining the entire effort. What will prevent the Iraqi 'Customs and Border Patrol' from being any less corrupt?

I will readily admit that I am not an expert on Iraq, and I do believe that leaving the job to the commanders in the field is the best policy. However, this idea does raise my eyebrows. I am curious as to how this idea will be further sold to the American public.

Work Cited

Seper, Jerry. "CBP recruiting volunteers to train Iraqi border guards." The Washington Times. 23 May 2007. Online.

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/guestc ... 70524.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail
    Is this to give the "good cops" an escape route from the fate of railroaded agents Ramos and Compéan?
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!

What a joke. I bet they won't be able to ask them if they are in Iraq legally. Next thing you know, Bush will give the foreign fighters amnesty.
    Che Guevara wears a picture of ME on his t-shirt.