Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. Culture Blamed for Hispanic Drug Abuse

U.S. Culture Boosts Hispanic Immigrants' Substance Abuse Risk 2 hours, 53 minutes ago

MONDAY, Aug. 13 (HealthDay News) -- Adoption of American culture and lifestyle makes Hispanic immigrants to the United States more likely to use illegal drugs and abuse alcohol, a new study suggests.

ADVERTISEMENT

The study of more than 6,700 adults (including 1,690 Hispanics) in Washington state found that acculturated Hispanics were nearly 13 times more likely to report the use of illegal drugs than Hispanics who adhered to their traditional culture.

Acculturation refers to the adoption of new cultural beliefs and social skills by an immigrant group.

The study found that 7.2 percent of acculturated Hispanics reported using illegal drugs within the previous month, compared to less than one percent of non-acculturated Hispanics and 6.4 percent of whites.

Acculturated Hispanics were nearly twice as likely as non-acculturated Hispanics to report current binge drinking and more than three times more likely to report "bender" drinking -- consuming alcohol continuously for days in a row without sobering up.

"In general, recent Hispanic immigrants are more family-oriented and have less tolerant views of drugs and alcohol use," study lead author Scott Akins, an assistant professor at Oregon State University, said in a prepared statement. "Although immigration and assimilation will provide some migrants with benefits such as wealth and job stability, immigration and acculturation can be a difficult process which has negative consequences as well."

The study was scheduled to be presented Sunday at the American Sociological Association's annual meeting in New York City.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about Hispanic or Latino health issues.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070813/hl ... eabuserisk

Despite the “historicalâ€

This is an out right LIE ! Why do

they think Miller Beer came out

with products for the hispanic

market.Why is Florida and other

states,with large illegal populations,

in a dailey battle to stop hispanic

grow houses and other illicit drugs

which has soared in the past few

years.

I'll tell you why.They Have Brought

Their Drinking Druging Culture To

The USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE ME A BREAK !!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

I just emailed this article to Asst Prof Scott Akins @ Oregon State. will let you know if I receive an answer!

Exactly! Gee, who is growing it all over their countries and ours too. What's the saying, if you got it smoke it.

Well, they have been so don't blame that on the US.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The most typical responce from any addict is to blame their problem on something or someone else, it's never their fault!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Marijuana has always been part of the Mexican culture. My Grandmother used to say that the Mexicans in S. Texas always had a couple of plants growing in their flower beds. That was before it was illegal- or before enforcement anyway.

Also drinking has always been part of their culture.

That is not to take any heat of America - we have become, evidently a drugged up society. If not illegally - then legally.

When I think of this, I always think of opium being introduced to China so the workers could be 'enslaved'. Is that is what is happening to America?
    Are we so complacent - and many are - because we are so addicted to either drugs - legal or illegal, alcohol, TV, or consumerism?

The war on drugs is a joke - always has been. It was probably only intended to keep the 'amateurs' out of the business and to protect certain professionals.

Hello

I've forwarded your message, as requested.

Carol Andrews
    Web Communications Coordinator
    Oregon State University
    104 Adams Hall
    Ph: 541-737-0726
    Corvallis, Oregon 97331-6407
    Cell: 541-730-1848
    http://oregonstate.edu/

Well, at least I know Akins will receive my email!

Although the use of marijuana is a long time part of Mexican culture the statistics do seem to show a higher per centage of our population using it and at higher amounts of consumption now. They supply it more but we consume it more.

I notice the article above has no mention of Calderon or even Fox implying that the article is several years old.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Although the use of marijuana is a long time part of Mexican culture the statistics do seem to show a higher per centage of our population using it and at higher amounts of consumption now.
    I wouldn't disagree - we are a nation of druggies.

I wouldn't however, put a lot of faith in the statistics of our government since they don't seem to want to keep any regarding illegals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast