Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

U.S. warns of border shutdown during protests

U.S. warns of border shutdown during protests

By: Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- All vehicle and pedestrian traffic at the city's border crossings may be blocked Friday during demonstrations in Mexico over that country's pension laws, U.S. authorities said.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection on Wednesday urged travelers to avoid the border crossings during the protests, citing Mexican news reports that traffic in both directions may be blocked for up to six hours at San Ysidro, the nation's busiest border crossing, and at Otay Mesa.

The California Highway Patrol plans to close all southbound traffic on interstates 5 and 805 just north of the San Ysidro crossing at 8:30 a.m. Friday. CBP will close the crossing's pedestrian bridge.

State Highway 905 southbound lanes near the Otay Mesa crossing may also close, CBP said.

Cargo traffic at the Otay Mesa is unlikely to be affected, CBP said.

In June, about 10,000 demonstrators in Mexico briefly blocked traffic between San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico. The demonstrators, many of them teachers, protested a Mexican law passed earlier this year that raises the retirement age for workers to 60 from 50 and introduces individual retirement savings accounts for government workers.

An average of about 30,000 pedestrians, 35,000 vehicles and 250 buses enter the U.S. each day at San Ysidro, making it the country's busiest crossing by far.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/08 ... _29_07.txt

Comments left after the story ...

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Good start wrote on Aug 30, 2007 8:07 AM:

" Why stop here, let's close the border permenantly. "

Just a thought wrote on Aug 30, 2007 9:31 AM:

" While you are at it, why don't you protest your country for better jobs, wages and living conditions? "

Huh? wrote on Aug 30, 2007 10:40 AM:

" And this is a problem? "

American woman wrote on Aug 30, 2007 10:59 AM:

" ...and it all starts coming to a head! Here's a thought: Hold the shut down over through the weekend. In fact, bring in the NG, and the Minuteman to help the USBP shut down the entire Southern border? Saturday is when the Mexican truckers start roaming the highways of our sovereign nation! "Hey! What y'all GOT in them Mexican trucks?... How 'bout a PROTEST around THAT issue??? "

Fred H wrote on Aug 30, 2007 11:02 AM:

" THEY need US. This is not a problem whatsoever. The border is the means by which Mexicans commute to & from Mexico. I don't care what they do. Kick and scream all you want! "

This is great news wrote on Aug 30, 2007 11:25 AM:

" if they can protest on a pension plan, then maybe they can summon the courage to protest their government for improved wages and living conditions! "

So Cal Native wrote on Aug 30, 2007 1:00 PM:

" To NCT-The is no such department called the CBP. It is called ICE, get your facts straight! "

Daryl wrote on Aug 30, 2007 1:13 PM:

" Let's keep the border closed. "

Such True Americans? wrote on Aug 30, 2007 4:52 PM:

" All these businesses who call themselves loyal supporters of America are sending all our jobs overseas and now across the border. I bet ever CEO of these companies have an American Flag hanging in their homes and on their cars yet they could careless about America. Don't buy from these companies. "

Fred H wrote on Aug 30, 2007 5:10 PM:

" Makes about as much sense to me to protest Australian kangaroo poaching by demonstrating in Iceland! WHO CARES? this action will only affect Mexicans and ... tourists celebrating Kaopectate Day in TJ "

Ziggy wrote on Aug 30, 2007 5:52 PM:

" They should keep these borders closed permanently, we would definitely save money in the long run. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/08 ... _29_07.txt

Florgal-Thanks for posting the comments they made my day! Looks like the feelings are almost unanimous about the border.

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

yes I want to see them protest against those American companys that moved down there, for better wages, Insurance and retirements, come on go for it Mexico!! that is just what those companys deserve!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Why stop with closing the crossing for a day; they can close it permanently, for all I care! With friends like Mexico, who needs enemies?
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

"I've never given anybody hell; I just tell the truth on them, and they think it's hell!" - Harry Truman

They can retire at 60 in Mexico? Wouldn't that be nice. I think we should let the corporations know that if illegals become legal there could be some major protests going on.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>