Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Undocumented Immigrants in Oregon Walk For Driver's Licenses

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Undocumented Immigrants in Oregon Walk For Driver's Licenses

By ALBERT SABATÉ
    Oct 26, 2012
    abc news

Oregon immigrant rights activists in Portland, Ore. at the start of their 5 day trip to the Capitol in Salem to demand driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants be reinstated. (Jaime Limon-Guzman/Oregon DreamActivist)

A five-day walk kicked off today in Oregon to demand that Gov. John Kitzhaber issue an executive order to return driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants in the state.

Members of Oregon DreamActivist will be walking to the Capitol in Salem from Portland to deliver petitions they've gathered and draw attention to their cause.

"I will walk for social equality and for the immediate demand to reinstate driver's licenses for undocumented people," said walker Sindy Avila, who recently came out publicly with her undocumented status.

The previous Democratic governor, Ted Kulongoski, took away licenses with an executive order in 2007. Until then, Oregon had been part of a handful of states to issue driver's licenses undocumented immigrants. Currently, only Washington state and New Mexico issue licenses to undocumented residents.

For many undocumented immigrants, including Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas, an Oregon license has been a vital tool to make normal life possible.

"That license was my only piece of ID for 8 years—it was a lifeline for me and for countless others who went to Oregon to get a license," said Vargas in an email.

Kitzhaber had promised to take up the issue in the past, but activists said they are tired of waiting.

"For a lot of years there's only been lip service," said Jaime Limon-Guzman. "But now we're holding the governor accountable to the situation."

The walk is the first of its kind in urging for an executive order to reverse the older order.

Oregon has considered recognizing identification from the Mexican consulates as a form of identification. But immigrant rights advocates fear this would create a two-tier system – not to mention, assumes that all undocumented immigrants are Mexican.

Undocumented Immigrants in Oregon Walk For Driver's Licenses - ABC News
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't understand why people who are in this country illegally expect to have the same rights as American citizens. People who break laws are criminals since when do we support criminals. Who fights for the rights of American citizens? What part of the word illegal do people not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha55 View Post
    I don't understand why people who are in this country illegally expect to have the same rights as American citizens. People who break laws are criminals since when do we support criminals. Who fights for the rights of American citizens? What part of the word illegal do people not understand?
    you are 100 % right they all break our law's . & they see we are not going to stand for this no more .
    & this is all obama doing . this has to stop & we are going to fight .
    so to all you illegal immigrants march back home & see what you can get
    boy if was President the hold wht would be clean out .& no gov would tell
    me what I could do .
    I for The USA . This is our Country . Our guy's & girls fight for our Right
    & no one is goinging to come over & tell us what to do or not to do

working4change
    Added to the Homepage with amended title
    http://www.alipac.us/content/illegal...licenses-1068/

An illegal shouldn't be making demands, shouldn't have drivers licenses, shouldn't be driving and shouldn't even be here.

Undocumented Immigrants in Oregon Walk For Driver's Licenses
    As far as I am concerned, they can continue to walk or they can get a bike.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn