Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US offers reward up to 5 million for mexican drug lord

S. Offers $5M for Reputed Cartel Chief
    By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press Writer
    5 hours ago

MEXICO CITY - The United States Thursday offered a reward of up to $5 million for information leading to the capture of a reputed Mexican drug cartel chieftain, whose group allegedly smuggles tons of cocaine and marijuana north each year.

Jorge Eduardo Costilla Sanchez has been charged in the U.S. with 12 counts of drug trafficking and money laundering and is also wanted for assaulting a federal law enforcement officer, U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza said in a U.S. Embassy statement.

"In addition to being an extremely dangerous criminal, Jorge Eduardo Costilla Sanchez is the linchpin of a network of drug dealers and murderers," he said.

He said Costilla Sanchez is believed to be the leader of the Gulf Cartel, an organization responsible for the distribution of thousands of pounds of cocaine and marijuana into Mexico and the United States yearly.

"Residents of our border communities will be significantly safer if he is apprehended and bought to justice," Garza said.

Costilla Sanchez has been linked to the brutal killing of newspaper columnist Francisco Arratia Saldierna, who was beaten to death in Matamoros in August 2004. Arratia Saldierna's reports on drug trafficking and organized crime might have prompted the attack.

The Gulf Cartel was thought to be headed by Osiel Cardenas until his 2003 capture following a shootout with police in Matamoros.

Mexican authorities believe Cardenas has continued to run much of his drug gang's operations from prison and may have formed an alliance with another jailed kingpin, Benjamin Arellano Felix, who is accused of heading the Tijuana-based smuggling syndicate that bears his family's name.

Both men are being held in the top-security La Palma prison west of Mexico City.

But Thursday's announcement emphasized Costilla Sanchez's role as chief of the cartel.

"We offer a reward of up to $5 million for information leading to his arrest," Garza said.

U.S. officials say that while Colombia remains the world's biggest producer of cocaine, more than 90 percent of it enters the United States through Mexico, and cartels based in this country are now the most powerful in the world.

Investigators have blamed mounting violence along the U.S.-Mexico border on a turf war between rival cartels over billion-dollar smuggling routes into the United States.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So now we get to spend $5 mil. on 1 criminal. GRRRRR!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I thought Mexico claimed there was an "extradition" agreement -- if they capture him, they are required to turn him over PERIOD -- no reward. If he is captured within the jurisdiction of the United States, I'd say a reward might be legitimate, but to pay Mexico? is this legal?
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Mexican authorities believe Cardenas has continued to run much of his drug gang's operations from prison and may have formed an alliance with another jailed kingpin, Benjamin Arellano Felix, who is accused of heading the Tijuana-based smuggling syndicate that bears his family's name.

Both men are being held in the top-security La Palma prison west of Mexico City.
    Sounds very secure.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Who is in control?

If caught he will be subject to the catch and release sham as he is a Mexican and the administration is on the take from drug cartels and the Mexican mafia.

I still wonder what illegal alien has my social security number? Thanks again Vincente Bush and the VA.

mrmiata7,

I'm so sorry about the ID theft. It's not fair to ANYONE, much less our service (active and retired) folk.

My retired Marine brother is furious!!!!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

I have an idea put that 5 million to the wall we desperately need on the border and then there will be no drug trafficing routes into the US.

Dim,

Great idea! Or maybe we could just use that money to bribe the guards ourselves!
    TIME'S UP!

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican

Sounds very secure.
    I misread the article, now it makes even less sense -- apparently he's already captured
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

I think the article says that the original leader is in prison and his sucessor has a bounty of 5Million on his head.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast