Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

US soldier says driving into Mexico with guns was accident

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - A U.S. soldier being held by Mexican authorities said he accidentally drove across the border with guns, knives and ammunition while looking for a place to park.

Spc. Richard R. Medina Torres said that after a long night of driving, he had wanted to park in El Paso, Texas, and walk across the border to Ciudad Juarez for breakfast Monday, but ended up steering his 1999 Honda Prelude off Interstate 10, over an international bridge and into Mexico.

"It was just an accident, I didn't mean to drive over here," a teary-eyed Torres said Tuesday afternoon, standing in a hallway of the Mexican federal building where he has been jailed since Monday morning.

Torres, 25, an Iraq war veteran on his way from Fort Hood, Texas, to his mother's house in Fresno, Calif., said he ended up at the border after misunderstanding an El Paso gas station attendant's directions.

"When I saw where I was, I started asking people at the front gate, 'Where can I turn around at?'" said Torres, who speaks no Spanish.

Mexican authorities said Tuesday that Torres stopped at the border to ask where he could park his car and was directed to make a U-turn to go back to the U.S. When he stopped again to ask federal authorities working nearby where to park, the agents started questioning him.

Torres said that when he was asked if he had drugs or guns, he immediately told Mexican officials he was traveling with an AR-15 assault rifle and a .45-caliber handgun. Both are his personal weapons; he said he intended to leave them and his car at his mother's house before deploying to Honduras for a year.

After searching his car, Mexican authorities took Torres into custody and began questioning him, he said. He has not been charged with a crime.

It is illegal to bring guns or ammunition and some types of knives into Mexico and weapons offenses can result in lengthy prison sentences. Torres also had 171 rounds of ammunition and three knives.

Roads leading to the border are dotted with clearly marked signs directing drivers to Mexico and warning against bringing guns or ammunition across the border. Torres said he wasn't paying attention to the signs, instead focusing his attention on looking for a parking lot.

Juarez has been gripped by violence in the last several months as dueling drug cartels have apparently been in a bloody battle for control of the hardscrabble city. In the last several weeks, Mexican federal agents and soldiers have been posted in the city in an attempt to quell the violence.

Torres said he was being treated well. When he wasn't being questioned or speaking with U.S. consular officials he was being kept in a small, private cell with a bed, shower and toilet.

He said he's met with a lawyer and hopes to see a judge in the next few days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_ ... CBviKfDmmA

Dude needs to spend some time in jail.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

Trade this guy for the Mexican Press Attache in President Calderon's entourage who was stealing Blackberries at the North American Summit in New Orleans.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I realize this guy is military, but why would he have an AR-15 assault rifle for his personal use? I do not believe this is legal even if he is military and certainly is not legal to be transporting it in his own personal vehicle, and god forbid, you bring such weapons into Mexico.

Only the drug dealers are allowed to have automatic weapons in Mexico.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Trade this guy for the Mexican Press Attache in President Calderon's entourage who was stealing Blackberries at the North American Summit in New Orleans.
    Really!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It just occured to me that his actions may have been deliberate. What if he was given orders to do this, which in turn would lead people to believe that we need more gun control. This could be used to create a nationwide removal of second amendment rights. This in turn will make it easy for the NAU takeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Qflash
    It just occured to me that his actions may have been deliberate. What if he was given orders to do this, which in turn would lead people to believe that we need more gun control. This could be used to create a nationwide removal of second amendment rights. This in turn will make it easy for the NAU takeover.
    My exact same thoughts and feelings!!!!