Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Usual suspects snivel about invader catching Army Reservist

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0422haab22.html

No charges against migrant-holding reservist
    Prosecutor: Action legal

Robert Anglen
    The Arizona Republic
    Apr. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

No criminal charges will be filed against an Army reservist who held seven undocumented immigrants at gunpoint this month at an Arizona rest stop.

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas said Thursday that Sgt. Patrick Haab had the legal right to make a citizen's arrest because the man smuggling the immigrants into the country was committing a felony and the immigrants themselves were conspiring with the "coyote."

Arizona law allows a private citizen to make a legal arrest if a felony has been committed and the citizen believes that the person he is arresting committed the felony.

"I do not want the message to go out that people can start rounding up illegal immigrants whether or not they think they're here legally, whether or not they know all the facts," Thomas said. "This is a very unusual case with a narrow set of facts and very unusual circumstances that allow Mr. Haab to avoid prosecution."

The 24-year-old Haab was arrested April 10 by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office on seven counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and spent four nights in jail. He said Thursday that he was "grateful" for the outcome.

"It's finally over," Haab said at a news conference at his Tempe lawyer's office at which he defended his actions and thanked supporters. "When the truth got out, it was a winner."

Haab has repeatedly said that he was not attempting to make a political statement when he drew a pistol on the immigrants. But his arrest came as various civilian groups embark on self-described border-patrol missions along the Arizona-Mexico line to target undocumented individuals and help stop illegal immigration.

Members of those groups praised the decision not to prosecute.

Chris Simcox, an organizer for the Minuteman Project, a civilian patrol group based in southeastern Arizona, said the decision to drop charges against Haab is "fantastic" news and an affirmation of the Second Amendment right to bear arms. "I think it has more to do with the right to defend yourself in a situation than it does with illegal immigration," Simcox said.

But Latino advocates reacted with outrage and concern, saying Thomas' decision was political and could lead to vigilante actions against immigrants and Hispanic residents.

"Dropping charges is going to justify more ignorant actions like that of Patrick Haab," said George Diaz, a Phoenix activist.

Thomas said his decision not to prosecute was based on Haab's call from the rest stop.

"If you would review the 911 tape, that is the best evidence of his state of mind at the time . . . and it was clear to me and to other members of this office in listening to the 911 tape that Mr. Haab did this to effect a citizen's arrest."

Still, he disapproved of Haab's method.

"It's frankly a lot better just to use your cellphone," he said. Haab has said he did not know the men were undocumented immigrants. He said he drew his pistol because he feared for his life when seven men rushed out of the darkness at a rest stop on Interstate 8, where he had stopped to relieve his dog.

Haab said he was clearly justified in pulling his gun that evening. But he gave several reasons as to exactly why he pursued the men to their vehicle, ordered them out at gunpoint and then detained them for authorities. His explanation included a claim that he still viewed them as assailants, that he was following his dog and that he realized they were undocumented immigrants who should be taken into custody.

After his arrest, Haab created a Web site and a fund for his defense. He appeared on national television and syndicated radio programs and became a sort of celebrity on some Internet venues, especially conservative sites.

Haab acknowledged that he wrote an e-mail to supporters expressing alarm that undocumented border-crossers are transforming the United States into "Americo," a mixture of America and Mexico. However, he stressed that he is not a bigot and has no problem with lawful immigrants.

Defense attorney David Cantor had written a letter to Thomas arguing that Haab was justified in detaining the men because they were involved in criminal activities, one as a human smuggler and the others as illegal border-crossers. All those who were detained now face charges in federal court.

"He's a military man," Cantor added, noting that Haab has service decorations from Kosovo and the war on terrorism.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Thursday that he stands by his deputy and the decision to arrest Haab.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Here's another op-ed from an OB advocate:

I'm afraid of being a victim of ignorance

Apr. 22, 2005 12:00 AM

The roadside actions of Patrick Haab scare me. How did Haab determine the folks in that SUV were illegal? Would Haab block my vehicle if I were traveling, minding my own business and leaving a rest stop?

I'm a citizen, college educated, employed and law abiding. But I'm brown and share the same ancestry as those folks whom Haab blocked in with his vehicle, ordered to exit the SUV and get on the ground. So I wonder.

Sometimes my family, immediate and extended, pile into my SUV and travel to San Diego via Interstate 8 to escape the summer heat. If an non-uniformed person were to use his unmarked vehicle to block my SUV, order me to exit my SUV and get on the ground, I would believe it was a carjacking or robbery, and it would get very, very ugly.

Haab is lucky he was only arrested.

Jim Gilchrist from the Minuteman Project denounced his actions, but hopes his charges get dropped. Haab's buddy Mike Cline doesn't know what the big deal is. "He didn't go off and kill anybody." After all, the victims were only illegals right? Wrong.

Haab and Gilchrist are wrong because they, or anyone else for that matter, cannot determine a person's status by sight. How do I know? Because not only have I been accosted in airports by vigilantes looking for undocumented Mexicans, I have also been mistaken for Asian, Middle Eastern, Anglo and American Indian. Haab and Gilchrist had better leave the profiling to those with full-time legal counsel and deeper pockets.

Haab is also wrong for risking the lives of those bystanders around him. What if the smuggler bringing those folks into the United States refused to comply and produced his own weapon?

Finally, when the issue of illegal immigration is debated, you consistently will hear someone say, "It's illegal!" Well aggravated assault with a deadly weapon is not only illegal, it's a Class 3 felony. Seems to me that if the Minutemen and their supporters are so concerned with upholding the law, they would be calling for Haab's prosecution instead of leniency.

Cline is afraid Haab "could become a victim of politics and that law enforcement officials will make an example of him." And I'm afraid of becoming a victim of ignorance.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Dropping charges is going to justify more ignorant actions like that of Patrick Haab," said George Diaz, a Phoenix activist.
    They have the nerve and audacity to call one of our American Soldiers ignorant?

Excuse me?

An ILLEGAL LAW BREAKER is not IGNORANT?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Patrick Haab is a hero in my book. I wish there were about 20,000 of him guarding our southern border.

And I'm afraid of becoming a victim of ignorance.
    You already are. Your own.

Mr. Haab is a HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Patrick Haab is a hero in my book, too. Absolutely.

When he said that one of the seven 'rushed past me'...I remembered a hero Hiway Patrol that worked the drug courier route Hwy 59...he'd caught more drug runners than any other LEO...and one night he'd stopped a vechicle with 3 latinos in it. One of them rushed past him, grabbed him from the rear, the other two in front of him attacked him...and they cut his throat. It's been shown many times on tv...it was absolutely ghastly.

Patrick, having been in battle zones, would most likely react first and ask questions later. As far as him being IGNORANT...I don't think that flies at all...he's a soldier...and a LIVE one. I heard his voice on the 911 tape, a cool collected no-nonsense voice. Hooray for Pat...God go with him.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

The border patrol is outmanned and understaffed,the local law enforcements hands are tied,the states won't involve their national guards,everyone is passing the buck,and when a guy who's oath is to protect his country does just that,he's punished.Perhaps the people of our government that continuisly pass the buck HOPING nothing will be done are more of a threat to us than the illegals.

The more pressure put on the rotten Americans (big business and politicians) the more chance we have of something being done about the illegal immigration problem.Nothing works better in America that bad publicity.Look at how it works in politics.

Nothing works better in America that bad publicity.Look at how it works in politics.
    It is starting to work already.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!