Utahns conflicted on in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants
Immigration » Legislature has yet to propose bills regulating illegal immigration.
By Sheena McFarland

Updated: 01/31/2010 09:26:11 AM MST

Utahns continue to be divided about whether the state should allow students who are undocumented immigrants but graduates of state high schools to pay in-state tuition.

A new Salt Lake Tribune poll found 47 percent of Utahns want to repeal a law granting such students in-state tuition. That's three percent higher than a 2008 poll, but the difference is within the polls' margin of error.

"Less than half the population are interested in repealing the law," said Theresa Martinez, assistant vice president for academic outreach at the University of Utah. "Even with all the negative antics, the rhetoric and reactionary response of those who want to crush the hopes of students, we still haven't had a substantial public opinion change."

Martinez has lobbied against bills attempting to repeal or significantly change the law since its 2002 passage, and the Legislature has run bills unsuccessfully attempting to repeal or significantly change the law since 2004 but nothing has surfaced so far this session.

"I've talked with some pretty prominent conservative legislators, and they say they have no appetite for such a bill," she said. "Frankly, it's nice to have a breather."

But there's still time to file bills, and Bill Barton, a member of the anti-illegal immigration group Save Utah, says he has talked with friends about asking a lawmaker to sponsor legislation to repeal the law.

"It's unfair to give that in-state tuition amount to the kids who are from undocumented families," Barton said.

Ron Mortensen, co-founder of the Utah Coalition on Illegal Immigration, says in a year when universities are capping enrollments to keep costs down and students are struggling to find space in classes, undocumented immigrants should not be allowed to attend at a state-subsidized price.

"That's 600 seats that should be filled by Utah students," Mortensen said.

Just shy of half of Utahns also would like to see the law off the books, according to the poll.

Caroline Walker is one of them.

The Murray woman's daughter-in-law is from Mexico is attempting to gain her U.S. citizenship, and once she does, Walker says she and all other legal immigrants should have the benefits of citizens.

"We need to take care of people who are citizens," said Walker, who responded to The Tribune 's poll. "It's not that we shouldn't help other people, but it takes away from other people who are paying taxes and doing things fair."

Others, such as Holladay resident Megan James, are more conflicted.

"I would lean toward keeping letting them pay in-state tuition because that would be in their and their families' best interest," said James, who also responded to the poll. "I think education would benefit the whole of society, too. I would guess it would lower crime rates and they would end up paying more taxes in the long run, but I can see both sides."

James said she really hadn't given immigration-related issues much thought until the federal debate started heating up during the presidential election and Utah passed SB81, the state's immigration reform law that ranged from requiring businesses with state contracts to screen workers to excluding undocumented immigrants from many state benefits .

This year, 37 percent of polled Utahns want to keep the law granting in-state tuition and 16 percent are not sure.

"It's a good sign that half the population is on the ball and realizing that penalizing these students is grossly unfair," Martinez said. "There's a lot more compassion and understanding that I'm hearing."

She also realizes economic factors likely are playing "a large part" in people's opinions.

That's one reason she and other Latino community activists say they're seeing a precipitous decline in immigration-related bills this year.

"When you have tens of thousands of people without jobs, that impacts the budget severely," said Latino community activist Tony Yapias. "Many legislators believe SB81 took care of immigration, and they are focused on the economy this year. But we're still being vigilant in case any bills do appear."

smcfarland@sltrib.com

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14303016?source=rss