Let's divert millions to go after illegals
Steve Vaughan
Aug 18, 2007
JAMES CITY -- Del. Phil Hamilton (R-93rd) stirred up the illegal immigrant chase this week with a provocative proposal.

Local officials, even one who has expressed alarm over illegals, don't like it.

Hamilton would remove certain law enforcement funding from local control by earmarking "599" state aid to target illegals.

He would require that one person with authority to enforce federal immigration laws be on duty 24/7 in each locality. That officer would be able to arrest, detain and ultimately deport illegals as a violation of federal immigration laws, something that local police and deputies can't do now.

The federal government offers a program of training by Immigration & Customs Enforcement to develop such agents.

The 599 money is named for the number of the House bill that supplements police funding.

"599 funds were the 'bribe' used to institute the moratorium on annexation," Hamilton explained in an interview.

He suspects the money is diverted.

"While the funding goes to localities with police departments, it goes to the localities' general fund, not [directly] to law enforcement."

By requiring that the funds be targeted for federal training, his bill would bring "truth in funding" to the 599 money.

Localities consider 599 revenue fungible. If it's put into their general fund, from which police are paid, it can be said to be supporting law enforcement. The General Assembly does the same thing with Virginia Lottery millions that are supposed to support public schools.

Statewide, 599 funds total $206 million this year. Hamilton is propos-ing to divert all or a portion to the federal training program.

Williamsburg gets about $450,000 a year and James City County about $1.65 million. In the recent dust-up over busting illegals, James City was found to have relatively few problems with illegals.

Hamilton thinks illegals pose a threat. "Because public safety is a primary function of state and local government, using existing 599 funds, which could be better used to protect citizens from illegal immigrants, many of whom have already been charged with committing crimes, seems most appropriate." Not so fast. "The 599 money should be used for whatever we decide we need it for," said James City County administrator Sandy Wanner. "If that's preventing gang violence or illegal immigrant training, fine. But we should make that decision." Williamsburg Police Chief Mike Yost agreed. "I'd like to see decisions on how to spend that money made here," he said. Phil Serra, the city finance director, said that if the General Assembly redirected the 599 money, he would have to make that revenue up from cuts or other revenue sources. Supervisor Bruce Goodson, who recently called for the county to look into how much money illegal immigrants cost James City, said he wanted to retain 599 as is. "That money is to compensate us for having a police department," he said. "If the state wants to give us grants to pursue the Immigration and Customs funding, as they do with some other things, that's something I'd definitely think we should look into." Goodson doesn't dislike Hamilton's idea on the training, just the funding source. If the state is willing to pick up the tab for the Immigration & Customs training, he's all for it. "I like Phil Hamilton. I support him. He's my delegate," Goodson said. But he feels the county should retain 599 control. "Of course, localities will be opposed to the dedication of currently undedicated state funds that they can use as they want," Hamilton replied. "599 funds are state funds that I believe the statehas a right to dedicate to address a growing problem in our state." Hamilton is running unopposed this fall.

http://www.vagazette.com/news/local/va- ... 4524.story