http://www.stltoday.com

Valley Park's immigration law draws interest from outside city
By Mary Shapiro
Press Journal,West County Journal
08/16/2006

Positive feedback has been overwhelming for Valley Park in its own neighborhoods, since the city, last month, passed a law regarding illegal immigration which, among other things, makes English the city's official language.

Residents of some nearby communities are suggesting their own cities adopt it.

But at least one resident is worried about the law's implications -- and how effectively it can be enforced.

And the city has received some negative feedback -- even some ridicule -- in the region, including a comment from St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay in his blog, charging the measure is "bad public policy……….(unlike most St. Louis departments, which) conduct our official business in the many languages of our diverse population."

The law also caused lively discussions on several blogs on stltoday.com, where reactions ranged from support – "Just because (English is) made a mandate (as) the official language doesn't mean that people can't speak their own language; it just means that they have to use it to do business. That's not bigotry; it's common sense," one blogger said.

Another responded, "I suspect that more than anything, this is nothing more than political posturing. I would like to see evidence that shows a link in Valley Park between illegal immigration and failing schools, destroyed neighborhoods and a diminished quality of life."

Critics even cast a few mean-spirited jokes, such as one that noted "as a graduate from Parkway South High School, I was well aware of the rivalry between our school/community vis-a-vis Valley Park ….. Back in the late '70s and '80s, the people in Valley Park didn't speak the same language as us (we spoke English). So it is quite ironic to see them legislate this now…"

The English-language designation was one of the stipulations of the new law which aldermen approved after they found that illegal immigration "leads to higher crime rates, contributes to overcrowded classrooms and failing schools, and destroys our neighborhoods and diminishes our overall quality of life." The law says the city is empowered to "abate the nuisance of illegal immigration by aggressively prohibiting and punishing the acts, policies, people and businesses that aid and abet illegal aliens."

The law also calls for: > Denying approval or renewal of business permits, city contracts or grants for five years or more to businesses or other for-profit entities that aid or abet illegal aliens, such as through employment, renting or leasing to them or not verifying their legal work status. > Prohibiting illegal aliens from leasing or renting property in the city and banning any property owner or renter in control of property from doing so. > Requiring all official city business, forms, documents, signs, etc. to use English only, unless mandated otherwise by the state or federal government.

During an aldermanic board meeting Aug. 7, Mayor Jeff Whitteaker said he already had been interviewed on the issue by a California television news station and has an interview scheduled with Charles Jaco of KTVI-TV (Channel 2) in St. Louis.

"So far, we've gotten mostly positive comments, about 100 calls in support," Whitteaker said. "Only one resident told me it wasn't the greatest ordinance. I never dreamed (the law) would get this kind of reaction. It's amazing. And surrounding communities have an interest."

City Attorney Eric Martin -- who said he modeled the law after a similar bill in Pennsylvania, at Whitteaker's request -- recently responded to a blog by Slay that questioned Valley Park's decision. Martin said, "Valley Park is not a xenophobic community."

"This ordinance arose after several landscaping and tree-trimming companies purchased single and multi-family housing in the Valley Park (area) and warehoused their employees in the units –- four men for a two-bedroom (apartment), four units to an (apartment) building," Martin wrote.

"Drinking, noise and fights in these dwellings brought demands for police services, and our municipal court had increased instances of uninsured drivers of both commercial and non-commercial vehicles with foreign driving licenses (primarily from Mexican states), even though the drivers admitted being here over (six) months."

Martin said Valley Park "embraces legal immigrants or residents of all nationalities."

"However, with the laxness in the enforcement of national immigration laws, we are attempting to place some responsibility on the landlord and the employer from a municipal standpoint…….," Martin wrote.

"Frankly, the English-only provision was more of a symbol in the ordinance than anything of substance."

But that's not the way some people in West County took that provision.

Janet Renner of Wildwood, founder of the group "Missourians Against Illegal Immigration," attended the Aug. 7 Board of Aldermen meeting, holding a yellow sign reading, "Thank you, Valley Park mayor and aldermen, for bringing back the rule of law for Missourians and the USA!"

"I think this was a landmark piece of local legislation and feel other cities will follow the model this sets to halt the illegal immigration invasion," she said.

Rene Artman of Fenton, who also attended the meeting, said she supports the law because "I feel it's about time to stand up for America first. My mother-in-law was an immigrant (a war bride from Italy) but she went through proper channels."

"This land is all about immigration, but let's do it legally," she said.

And state Rep. Dwight Scharnhorst, R-Dist. 93, who lives nearby in unincorporated West County, presented the city with two flags and said Valley Park officials "were wise enough to make English the official language of Valley Park, which is a good idea. I commend you for stepping forward because that took a little nerve."

"This is not about excluding, but including people," he said. "We're not trying to keep anyone from participating, but they need to do it legally. I think Valley Park has a bright future. Things are going in the right direction."

Lt. Scott Melies of the St. Louis County Police Department, which serves Valley Park under contract, said his officers "have developed contacts, on protocol and a plan of attack for the new law, with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement local office, on reasonable suspicion tools to use to determine if there have been violations, such as anyone aiding illegal immigrants."

Melies said two investigations are now under way. And he said legal immigrants should be able to present documents such as a passport and visa to investigating police, "and, if they can't, there's a good chance they're in the U.S. illegally."

"If we get wind of a possible violation, we'll make a police report, identify the facts of an incident and make a report to the prosecuting attorney, to see if he'll proceed," Melies said. "And we could make immediate arrests if a suspect may flee."

Twelve-year Valley Park resident Martha Rodriguez said that, for instance, "while I have a passport, I don't carry it with me all the time for fear I'll lose it."

Melies said most investigations likely would be done at homes.

"I don't want to take away from what Valley Park has done," she said. "But in my perception, the ordinance seems to have a flavor of being unkind, intolerant and even punitive."

She said someone renting to an immigrant might not be aware the person is here illegally.

"I'm a Latina, and my parents and I were born and raised here," Rodriguez said. "(The law) leaves a bad taste, for some, of Valley Park, though I'm not saying this is an intentionally intolerant approach."

You can contact Mary Shapiro at mshapiro@yourjournal.com.